Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are loaners required?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just spent $100k on a brand new Model X, its not even 5 months old. AC isn't functioning properly so we are literally sweating while driving. Front left tire is making a very loud clacking noise that makes it sound like a 20 year old car. I scheduled an appointment, they made me wait 4 weeks.

When I get to the service appointment they tell me that it will take several days (they don't know how many days) and that they have no loaners so I need to call an Uber or find a ride. I'm in SHOCK at what garbage this entire experience has been. Are they legally required to provide a loaner? Does anyone have any idea anyone I can try emailing or contacting? Its impossible to call anyone, and in person no one says anything.

I feel like hiring someone to just stand on side walk with a giant sign warning people that show up to buy.

• Funny
Reactions: Keester97
Manufacturers are not contractually obligated to provide a free loaner car, but many do so as a customer good will offer.

In Tesla case they often have some cars available on a first come first serve basis. Sometimes they are Tesla, but also can provide Enterprise rentals as well. Used to repay customers for any gasoline they purchased as well.

As Tesla has grown, they more often run out of loaners, and usually offer $$ Uber credits as good will.

With the appearance of Covid 19, loaners are much more difficult for Tesla to provide. Not only due they have a tremendous liabillty if someone claims to catch Covid while using a rental, each car needs to be disinfected before it can be released to another customer.

Most legacy dealerships are offering free shuttle services to drive customers back to their homes/businesses.

Understand the frustration of not getting an expected loaner, but many are reverting to the old ways and having someone pick them up at the service center and bring them home, where perhaps they have another car to use.

• Disagree
Reactions: AMPd and MitchMitch
Manufacturers are not contractually obligated to provide a free loaner car, but many do so as a customer good will offer.

In Tesla case they often have some cars available on a first come first serve basis. Sometimes they are Tesla, but also can provide Enterprise rentals as well. Used to repay customers for any gasoline they purchased as well.

As Tesla has grown, they more often run out of loaners, and usually offer $$ Uber credits as good will.

With the appearance of Covid 19, loaners are much more difficult for Tesla to provide. Not only due they have a tremendous liabillty if someone claims to catch Covid while using a rental, each car needs to be disinfected before it can be released to another customer.

Most legacy dealerships are offering free shuttle services to drive customers back to their homes/businesses.

Understand the frustration of not getting an expected loaner, but many are reverting to the old ways and having someone pick them up at the service center and bring them home, where perhaps they have another car to use.
Don't excuse Tesla's poor "customer service" support by blaming COVID19. This became an issue long before COVID19 was even a thing. Tesla used to offer a loaner for ALL warranty work as company policy. Elon even bragged on them bring the best version of car available & you could just keep it for an agree upon dollar amount if you liked it. Now it's hit or miss as to if your location has them or not, most often not. There's no consistency whatsoever from top levels of leadership so what do we expect? Keeping investors happy by posting profits each quarter it any cost is now the only thing that matters. Service is just an expense Tesla can no longer afford as the most valuable car company in existence. /sarcasm

I. Are they legally required to provide a loaner?.

No, no car manufacturer / dealer is "legally required" to offer you a loaner car, or any other transportation.

EDIT:

OP if you want to get ahold of someone in your service center, call the service center phone number, listen very closely to the prompts, and pick the one that says something to the effect of "inquiry for a vehicle in service".

That is the only one that rings the people in the actual service center. Explain that you need a loaner for your service. Most model S /X owners can get a loaner if requested.

Last edited:
Don't excuse Tesla's poor "customer service" support by blaming COVID19. This became an issue long before COVID19 was even a thing. Tesla used to offer a loaner for ALL warranty work as company policy. Elon even bragged on them bring the best version of car available & you could just keep it for an agree upon dollar amount if you liked it. Now it's hit or miss as to if your location has them or not, most often not. There's no consistency whatsoever from top levels of leadership so what do we expect? Keeping investors happy by posting profits each quarter it any cost is now the only thing that matters. Service is just an expense Tesla can no longer afford as the most valuable car company in existence. /sarcasm
While I agree with your statement, the OP could have most likely told the SC he needed a loaner and they would have scheduled accordingly ( Tampa did that with me) My last vehicle was a Hyundai Equus (Genesis G90) which came with free service with a loaner for 3 years. Most of the time I did not get a loaner unless I told them I waited one. I then had to wait for them to schedule service... not to mention I once got an Elantra for a loaner.

I just spent $100k on a brand new Model X, its not even 5 months old. AC isn't functioning properly so we are literally sweating while driving. Front left tire is making a very loud clacking noise that makes it sound like a 20 year old car. I scheduled an appointment, they made me wait 4 weeks.

When I get to the service appointment they tell me that it will take several days (they don't know how many days) and that they have no loaners so I need to call an Uber or find a ride.

Out of curiosity:

1). Did you schedule the appointment in app and it shows 4 weeks wait time?

2). On the no loaner, does your SC provide Enterprise car rental as an option, since it take several days to fix your car?