Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refused delivery on MYP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all - I posted this on Reddit and it was pretty controversial… however… I feel like I want to share it here as well to see what others are experiencing. Full disclosure, I did not take photographs because I was focused on the checklist and going over the car with my wife.

My story:
After years of saving up for a Tesla... and the recent price cuts, I went all in on a MYP. Yesterday (4/4/24) was delivery day. Everything was ready, I sold my car, I arrived for my appointment and began looking over the car. Immediately noticed that there were significant panel gaps (I thought this was solved), the bumper wasn't set correctly, the windshield was all pinched to one side. There was a giant gouge in the driver mirror and a ding in the rear driver door. Before I even sat inside the car l refused it.

Stay vigilant, teslas production issues are still a real thing. I've read the stories but never thought it could happen to me. I should have taken pictures but I didn't feel the need to because it was so obvious the car deserved rejection. The manager even agreed.

To make matters worse, now I'm carless and I live in a state Tesla is not legally able to deliver cars so l have to drive 1.5 hours to get to the nearest center. They were unwilling to give me a loaner because that is for 'service only'. Not a great start to the Tesla world.

Sounds like stuff they could have easily corrected granted it wouldn’t have made your no photo proof controversy story as impressive. Yet you joined a forum same day to feel better? Suggestion, don’t sell your car expecting someone to give you a free ride if you’re impatient.

• Disagree
Reactions: cdswm3 and Zedbox
Just curious - what was so controversial about refusing delivery?

Oh, and loaners are not guaranteed for service appointments. Depends on your SC, the type of work being done and availability. They used to provide Uber credits and even that’s iffy now.
I think there’s a lot of strongly opinionated people on both sides of the ‘teslas are great and could do no wrong’ and ‘you’re an idiot for even thinking about buying a Tesla’ camps. So if you have a legitimate criticism it causes a poop storm. Insane.

As someone with a total of 7 posts, all in this one thread. Sounds like you’re just another who decided to join TMC just to whine about a bad delivery experience. Pictures would help substantiate your claims as many come here claiming labels gaps, etc.., when really there is no issue. You could have shortened your post with just a few pictures.
Pictures are worth a thousand words.
BS again. Nobody joins forums months or years before they buy the product. I joined tmc AFTER I bought my first Tesla. And so would others. And there is absolutely no problem ‘whining’ about poorly built car that costs a lot of money.

• Disagree
Reactions: cdswm3
Never called BS for the OP refusing, just asking for pictures. Usually when there’s such terrible build quality people take pictures now as proof of the issues.

Considering how the post started:
I posted this on Reddit and it was pretty controversial
What was expected here?

Considering the OP got a new VIN within an hour of taking the refusal off hold I’d say that is pretty good. Might have been a crappy introduction, but the outcome was good.

Reactions: cdswm3
Backing out is fine, selling your car before you have a new one? Kinda crazy!
I do not think it’s crazy to sell your current car before picking up a new one. Not everyone has a bank account that allows people to have two cars at once. He probably needed to sell his old car for the down payment on the Tesla.

I recently picked up a MYLR. I thought about selling to a local auto dealer that was offering $2,000 more than Tesla’s trade in. I decided to do the trade in, even though it was a smaller offer, I got to knock off tax from the deal that I wouldn’t have if I sold it locally. If the local dealer offered me enough that it made financial since, I would have sold my truck prior to pick up. The $20,000 my truck netted me made my new Tesla deal pretty sweet for me.

Backing out is fine, selling your car before you have a new one? Kinda crazy!
We had to do that during the stupid world lock down as there was a loooong wait for our Model 3LR. That's when the over-priced SUV and pickup truck market sky-rocketed and we had to take advantage of cash we were getting as our down payment. So we managed with one vehicle for a month or so and it wasn't that bad.

We had to do that during the stupid world lock down as there was a loooong wait for our Model 3LR. That's when the over-priced SUV and pickup truck market sky-rocketed and we had to take advantage of cash we were getting as our down payment. So we managed with one vehicle for a month or so and it wasn't that bad.
Agreed. The OP had only one car which seems much more difficult.

Reactions: Spivas
selling your car before you have a new one? Kinda crazy!

You think that's bad....

It's been a few years ago - but ----

My wife had a car that was a couple of years old that she used for work, and I had a classic that I drove back and forth to work. We both agreed that we would sell which ever one first. She went to work and sold it a few hours after she got there. When I got home someone was waiting to look at my car and I sold it on the spot. We had no communication throughout the day. When she got home from afternoon shift I asked her where her car was. Well you know the rest of the story. We could have backed out of one of the sales, but didn't think it would be fair to the people who bought the cars. Needless to say, we had to borrow a car from my brother. He was gracious enough to lend it for a month or so - so that we could find a new car.

We are almost at that point again -- I want to buy a new Model Y. So it's her 2019 RAV4 Hybrid, or my 2021 Model Y. We'll see which one sells first, but this time we are both retired, and in constant communication.

Lesson learned.