Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are newer Model Xs Really Better? 2015/2016 vs NEW ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I currently have a 2016 Model X 75D.

Aside from range, are they much better now?
-Our current X has very loud road noise especially through the windows and seals.
-It is also very lack luster for climate control (Too cold in winter, Too hot in summer.)

It is still by far the best vehicle overall we have ever had. I am just hoping they have made enough improvements to make buying a new one worth while.

Looking for some feedback from anyone who has upgraded from an "Older X" to a newer one.

Thanks all!
-Jim

My 2018 X 75 has very little wind noise. The window and door seals are quite good. Climate control also seem to work well.

I will likely upgrade next year when the lease is up. I have heard the raven motors are even quieter. Our 2020 Model 3 LR is even quieter than the X.

Upgraded my 2017 X75 to Raven 100. Delighted that it is so much improved...and that the pricing has dropped so much that the new car was about the same price as my old one.

Love the extra 100 miles of range. Takes lots of planning and thinking out of the occasion. Just get in it and drive...like an ICE car.

Next best improvement is the adaptable suspension. So much smoother and quieter. Also has far superior high speed handling in sweeping turns.

New car comes with fresh warranty and tires. Sold the 2017 before it needed any service. It was a great car, but wanted the RAVEN package and a fresh Section 179 depreciation schedule.

The standard Raven also comes with some items I did not have on old one, like HEPA filter, upgraded stereo, interior lighting package, alcantra headliner, refreshed premium interior etc. Old had some yellowing around the display as will, and that went away as well. New seats seem better, but also liked the old ones. It charges faster at Superchargers, and the bigger battery gives me additional flexibility.
It is much faster and somehow seems to cruise down the road much more efficiently. I get a little sound from the front motor than before, but find it pleasing instead of annoying.

Overall I am super pleased with all the improvements that have made the good car even better.

Upgraded my 2017 X75 to Raven 100. Delighted that it is so much improved...and that the pricing has dropped so much that the new car was about the same price as my old one.

Love the extra 100 miles of range. Takes lots of planning and thinking out of the occasion. Just get in it and drive...like an ICE car.

Next best improvement is the adaptable suspension. So much smoother and quieter. Also has far superior high speed handling in sweeping turns.

New car comes with fresh warranty and tires. Sold the 2017 before it needed any service. It was a great car, but wanted the RAVEN package and a fresh Section 179 depreciation schedule.

The standard Raven also comes with some items I did not have on old one, like HEPA filter, upgraded stereo, interior lighting package, alcantra headliner, refreshed premium interior etc. Old had some yellowing around the display as will, and that went away as well. New seats seem better, but also liked the old ones. It charges faster at Superchargers, and the bigger battery gives me additional flexibility.
It is much faster and somehow seems to cruise down the road much more efficiently. I get a little sound from the front motor than before, but find it pleasing instead of annoying.

Overall I am super pleased with all the improvements that have made the good car even better.

Goddamnit, you just had to go and make an excellent and well reasoned argument for why i should ditch my 2016 MX for a new one.
I'm trying to convince myself to wait until a 400 mile range MX comes out before committing.

Almost forgot another bonus. The larger battery's biggest benefit to me was not the greater range, but the additional charging strategies I can now use on my longer distance trips. I like to travel on the bottom part of the battery, because it charges faster. Sometimes I will just grab a 15 minute charge to get me another 100 miles down the road. Then, when I am having a longer stop, like for a meal, I'll charge for as long as it takes me for a meal stop. Very efficient way to travel. If I find a particularly nice place to charge, I'll often wander around, like a tourist. Take some time to smell the roses and experience some local shopping. Then return to a fuller tank and return to the road with a lot of range.

I no longer look as charging time being wasted. Instead it offers me additional enjoyable experiences. I even keep a foldable electric 3 wheel scooter with a seat in the trunk. Will use that to explore deeper into interesting areas. When traveling with a dog it is much more pleasant as well.

Life altering indeed.

Almost forgot another bonus. The larger battery's biggest benefit to me was not the greater range, but the additional charging strategies I can now use on my longer distance trips. I like to travel on the bottom part of the battery, because it charges faster. Sometimes I will just grab a 15 minute charge to get me another 100 miles down the road. Then, when I am having a longer stop, like for a meal, I'll charge for as long as it takes me for a meal stop. Very efficient way to travel. If I find a particularly nice place to charge, I'll often wander around, like a tourist. Take some time to smell the roses and experience some local shopping. Then return to a fuller tank and return to the road with a lot of range.

I no longer look as charging time being wasted. Instead it offers me additional enjoyable experiences. I even keep a foldable electric 3 wheel scooter with a seat in the trunk. Will use that to explore deeper into interesting areas. When traveling with a dog it is much more pleasant as well.

Life altering indeed.

I just moved from a 2016 X to a 2020 X. The range is the biggest difference. Otherwise, I would prefer the old one, to be frank. The 2020 is still cold in the winter, air seems to creep upwards in the middle of the car. Just like my 2016 did. Overall, the build seems a bit clunkier; doors a bit less substantial when they close...

• Informative
Reactions: VikH
I upgraded from 2016 ludicrous to 2019 ludicrous and it is faster, plus self-driving is WAY way WAY better of course. The better range is nice, though I miss the spoiler moving up and down and the little holes for air conditioning your butt. The way the middle seats move is simpler now, but you can't "control" it from the front... which maybe is acceptable because I have remotely crushed a kid's foot or two in my day!

I upgraded from 2016 ludicrous to 2019 ludicrous and it is faster, plus self-driving is WAY way WAY better of course. The better range is nice, though I miss the spoiler moving up and down and the little holes for air conditioning your butt. The way the middle seats move is simpler now, but you can't "control" it from the front... which maybe is acceptable because I have remotely crushed a kid's foot or two in my day!

I have to admit the lack of vented seats in the newer ones has given me pause.
Not having a sticky back on hot days is a quality of life issue for me.

• Love
Reactions: polinter
2017 X here, in England the cost of selling my current 2017 and buying a new 2020 with 6 seats+white leather is net £50k.

We don't have £50k spare cash at the moment due to a impending 6 figure house extension.

But even if we did have nothing else better to spend £50k on we would get LR Model 3.

Am sure a new X is better than our current one, but a new LR Model 3 + our existing X is by far even a better option.

• Love
Reactions: 5JMJ and pilotSteve
I currently have a 2016 Model X 75D.

Aside from range, are they much better now?
-Our current X has very loud road noise especially through the windows and seals.
-It is also very lack luster for climate control (Too cold in winter, Too hot in summer.)

It is still by far the best vehicle overall we have ever had. I am just hoping they have made enough improvements to make buying a new one worth while.

Looking for some feedback from anyone who has upgraded from an "Older X" to a newer one.

Thanks all!
-Jim

My first Tesla was a 2018 Model X Performance. The first thing I noticed between 2018 and 2019 the range was increased (but has now decreased from (320 to 295 miles;) and the home super charging speed was 80 AMPs, which has now been reduce (I am told because of overall safety concerns) down to 48 AMP's. The new suspension I believe is quieter and I have been told tighter but I never tested the 2018 in the 1 month I own it. I have a 2019 Model X Performance now. It was delivered in June of 2019. I have driven it nearly 18k miles since then and my first trip was a total of 4500 miles 3 days after I took delivery of it.

I live in Satellite Beach, FL (just south of Cape Canveral) so we get a lot of sun. I can say I have never had a climate control problem (I am only the only person in the vehicle). I did purchase all of the sun screens and will say the sun screens for the front glass do an amazing job of reducing the bright sun beaming down during the hot summer days.

With respect to the road noise, mine is exceptionally quite, and one of the many reasons I bought the suv (I came out of a Mercedes Benz suv). I will say, when driving very slowly, I do have a creak from the front right suspension and only can be heard with no radio and less than 5 mph, yet they can find it. :)

My biggest complaint and only is the wipers...When traveling at highways speeds (65 mph plus) while raining, the wiper blade on the drivers side literally goes off the windshield and bangs of the left pillar when coming back onto the glass. Their is no damage and Tesla has attempted to fix it twice.

I hope this helps and good luck.