Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are quad breakers safe?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a full breaker box. Electrician says he can get a “quad breaker” 50A

is that a thing? Is it safe?

I do have 200A coming into house.

was going to install a NEMA 14-50 with charge point flex.

Need to charge an i3 as well.

this the best way to go?

perfectly safe. its just a way to fit more circuits in a panel. a quad takes up two regular sized spaces but might have two double pole breakers or one double pole and two single pole breakers.
Thanks!
Good to know!

does anyone have a charger installed inside the garage w/ the cable going through the wall to the outside?

I will be charging outside,

Thanks!
Good to know!

does anyone have a charger installed inside the garage w/ the cable going through the wall to the outside?

I will be charging outside,

Sure, somebody does, but its not a great idea. Just install the Tesla wall connector on the outside of the garage. It is a weatherproof enclosure.

I see that you are installing an i3 as well. You can also find ChargePoint chargers that are outdoor safe. If you have two cars, you should install two chargers. The extra cost is minimal compared with adding it later.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Yes, quad are certainly a normal thing if your panel is made to take them. I was looking at those to fit in my extra circuit, but then I discovered that my particular model of panel will not allow either twin or quad kinds of breakers, so I had to just sacrifice one little used circuit.

Attachments

• 3754190A-B644-4A38-9A2A-7B32527695A9.jpeg
    3754190A-B644-4A38-9A2A-7B32527695A9.jpeg
    485.2 KB · Views: 316
  • E2819842-6E88-4719-B75A-2F94E9EBC403.jpeg
    E2819842-6E88-4719-B75A-2F94E9EBC403.jpeg
    293.8 KB · Views: 176
Unless you have tons of recessed lights i might consider combining some of the lighting circuits instead of getting a 40-50 quad. Each of those lighting circuits is probably only pulling a few amps. Your electrician should be able to confirm. Then you could use a full sized breaker for the EV.

That will help dissipate heat. With the quad breaker You’d be pulling around 80 amps though the fingers of the bus if the stove and ev chargers are operating at the same time. The panel is rated for that, sure, but nothing lasts for ever and the additional stress in that one location could cause the bus to overheated in that section. If you combine the lighting circuits, because they don’t draw all that much each of the fingers of the bus are drawing less current and generat lower heat which should help make your panel last longer

Reactions: Watts_Up
If they aren’t drawing a lot of power can they be combined? Does it matter what’s connected to it (lights or outlets?)

The only ones that have to be kept separate are the bathroom receptacles and kitchen receptacles, as well as major appliances. There’s no rule that says you bedroom outlets and lights can’t be on the same circuit as the living room lights, for instance.

Reactions: Watts_Up