Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are shops supposed to do chrome delete on the inner and outer door handle?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I paid $1100 to have it done, and they only did the outside of the handles. It kinda cheapens it when the handle comes out and suddenly it's chrome. Are they supposed to do it or is that not a common thing to do? The tech made it seem like it was not normal to do on the Tesla because it's hard to get the handle out.

I paid $1100 to have it done, and they only did the outside of the handles. It kinda cheapens it when the handle comes out and suddenly it's chrome. Are they supposed to do it or is that not a common thing to do? The tech made it seem like it was not normal to do on the Tesla because it's hard to get the handle out.
Typically its just the exterior, the exposed part. Like others have mentioned, it varies from shop to shop, but should at least curve around the corners a bit to avoid peeling. As people continue to grab the handle, the wrap can start lifting. The pricing is a bit steep though. For a full chrome delete id say it from $600-$800.

Typically its just the exterior, the exposed part. Like other's have mentioned, it varies from shop to shop, but should at least curve arpund the corners a bit to avoid peeling. As peolle continue to gran the handle, the wrap can start lifting. The pricing is a bit steep though. For a full chrome delete id say it from $600-$800.
I paid $600 to the first shop and even they managed to fully wrap the door handles. Sadly they did a sloppy job on other parts so I had it re-done this summer at another shop and paid $800 for a perfect result where you can't even tell that the door handles has been wrapped.

Reactions: Leeon
$1100 seems steep. My installer did the whole handle wrap in 2017, as well as the rest of the car, even did the interior door plaque. Still looks perfect 80,000 miles and many snowstorms later.

I filled the reverse embossing door plaque model lettering and removed and sanded the rear Tesla lettering myself before the wrap.

Installer said the mirrors were way more trouble than the handles. This installer is one of the best in my city. I got the impression that he enjoys the challenge. So not for the faint hearted.

I have the car set to reveal all four handles, but interestingly the front driver door showed slight paint wear underside on the door several years in. Only that one.

I originally bought the older, solid metal handles to get them powder coated and retrofit, but abandoned that after learning that Tesla droped them because they were a heat sink.

If I ever have handle failures I plan to retrofit the matte plaid handles and just wrap the face in gloss black. I agree some of the panache is lost seeing silver underneath.

Last edited:

Two things:
  1. I'd say for the next time you ever do this, consider doing it yourself for $35 - Door Handles Guard Paint Protection Film for 2021+ Tesla Model S (Plai . There's nothing hard about the door handles especially if it's just the face.
  2. The next time you have work done, confirm the scope of work in writing before you pay. This was a fairly inexpensive lesson.
If I ever have handle failures I plan to retrofit the matte plaid handles and just wrap the face in gloss black. I agree some of the panache is lost seeing silver underneath.
The chrome delete on the new 2021 refresh models are gloss black, not matte black, so no need to wrap the face :)

• Informative
Reactions: iyordanov and Krash
As someone previously mentioned, de-chroming is not for the faint of heart. I used the the Tesbros kit as well and I will say that the mirrors were the most difficult to wrap. There are 10 seperate pieces for each mirror....TEN! It took me about 2-hours to complete one mirror. My recommendation for anyone planning to use this kit is to complete all of the door handles once you've figured out how to do one. The youtube videos are helpful and straighforward.

How much are the main new non chrome trim pieces and are they a direct swap for the chrome.

I would think it’s reasonable to swap all the chrome trim around the windows (and such) out and just wrap the harder and more expensive stuff like the mirrors and handles.

It can’t be substantial more expensive and you don’t have to worry about sloppy jobs or pealing, on the larger (non touch) chrome pieces.

From what I've seen it's usually just the front of the handle.
When I did my chrome delete I used plasti-dip and it came out awesome and was only about $30 and an afternoon of my time that would've been playing Xbox anyway.

I want to do my handles but have been too lazy to get around to it. But when I do I'll pull out the handle assembly and paint the whole thing.

When I did the rest of the car I disassembled each chrome part that I could to make it easiest to paint and it worked great and there was minimal need for masking stuff off.

Personally I hate wraps for anything except the clear one for protection and still not really a fan of that one either.
When I want a new color I get the car painted it looks much more professional and lasts longer than a 3-5 year wrap.