Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are the Cybertruck's looks growing on you?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I still just can’t. I have stared at that thing for hours, watched the videos, really really tried. I’m just a simple guy and don’t like to attract attention. There is no way I would ever get comfortable in that thing.

Put a deposit in on a Lightning so my F-150/Model 3 stable will stay consistent as we finally get to fully let go of gas in my house. Really excited about the 9kw Pro Power and the fact I can throw a good old BedRug and SnugTop on it and be ready for camping the way I like in a vehicle I’m comfortable in.

It's as if a DeLorean and Aztec made a baby, it grew up and made love to a Ridgeline out of wedlock. The child was abandoned at birth, and raised by wolves.

Awkward, rough around the edges, most likely feral and has rabies.

With a face not even its mother loved. But because Elon... everyone (who will buy anything he puts his name on) wants one.
It is definitely a freak show on wheels but somehow that makes it appealing in some strange way.

I still just can’t. I have stared at that thing for hours, watched the videos, really really tried. I’m just a simple guy and don’t like to attract attention. There is no way I would ever get comfortable in that thing.

Put a deposit in on a Lightning so my F-150/Model 3 stable will stay consistent as we finally get to fully let go of gas in my house. Really excited about the 9kw Pro Power and the fact I can throw a good old BedRug and SnugTop on it and be ready for camping the way I like in a vehicle I’m comfortable in.
I think Ford hit a home run with the Lightning. I am curious to see how GM answers back with the Silverado. I think GM may have an edge on Ford when it comes to the battery tech.

Reactions: Radish11
It's as if a DeLorean and Aztec made a baby, it grew up and made love to a Ridgeline out of wedlock. The child was abandoned at birth, and raised by wolves.

Awkward, rough around the edges, most likely feral and has rabies.

With a face not even its mother loved. But because Elon... everyone (who will buy anything he puts his name on) wants one.
That's a pretty depressing group of visuals you laid out there....My opinion is a silver F-117 on wheels....

If you are correct, and that is the way most people see it, I'll just remember I am over 60 and don't care what anyone else thinks...

Are the looks growing on me? IDK, but a truck is a functional object, and form follows function. To me, all trucks are asthetically ugly, and reflect a single use design. Now a sports sedan hatchback (MS) that can carry 5 adults in comfort or 10 foot lumber with the hatch closed, that's a work of art IMO...

Assuming the Ford Lightning is all that is advertised, and is on time, and doesn't have batt issues like Ionic or Bolt, etc... CT advantages are:

No Paint. No door dings. No Garage.

More room, ground clearance, approach/departure angles, towing capacity, and range.

Trimotor only 25% slower than Plaid MS on regular roads, at half the price. Faster, more range than MS LR at about the same price.

AND, most important, often overlooked, The UNSURPASSED SuC network, which has/will continue to improve. How long will it take EA to compete? Could be years...and will it ever be 300 to 350 Kw?

I do like the Ford power options and the Frunk. Makes a better work truck. Being retired, IDC..

Reactions: fallen888
I think Ford hit a home run with the Lightning. I am curious to see how GM answers back with the Silverado. I think GM may have an edge on Ford when it comes to the battery tech.

A Bolt recent owner I know would probably disagree with that... She is glad she gave up her Bolt lease and went to M3 just before the Bolt recall...

Outsourcing critical ( Battery) technology to the lowest bidder is a typical action for a Government contractor like GM. Kinda opposite of the Tesla approach.

Not Anti GM, I like the Volt. But they killed that...sorta like the EV1 in a way.

Are the looks growing on me? IDK, but a truck is a functional object, and form follows function. To me, all trucks are asthetically ugly, and reflect a single use design. Now a sports sedan hatchback (MS) that can carry 5 adults in comfort or 10 foot lumber with the hatch closed, that's a work of art IMO...

Assuming the Ford Lightning is all that is advertised, and is on time, and doesn't have batt issues like Ionic or Bolt, etc... CT advantages are:

No Paint. No door dings. No Garage.

More room, ground clearance, approach/departure angles, towing capacity, and range.

Trimotor only 25% slower than Plaid MS on regular roads, at half the price. Faster, more range than MS LR at about the same price.

AND, most important, often overlooked, The UNSURPASSED SuC network, which has/will continue to improve. How long will it take EA to compete? Could be years...and will it ever be 300 to 350 Kw?

I do like the Ford power options and the Frunk. Makes a better work truck. Being retired, IDC..
But would you feel "safe" dumping a half ton of gravel/rock/dirt from a loader directly into the back of a CT? Remember, because of the slope, the loader has to drop material from the top of the peak, not the lowest point of the bed rails.

I want a "truck" that does what trucks do. Bonus if it resembles one too. A Hummer can do a lot of what CT can, neither are "trucks".

Ram is rumored to have a 1500 EV coming out in 2024. I'm a Dodge/Mopar/Ram fanboy, but traded a Jeep Grand Cherokee with deadly blind spots for the Model Y (for wife and new baby).

If Ford or Ram EV trucks scratch the itch, I'll go full EV garage, but I need a truck that does truck stuff, not a status symbol modern day art piece.

I think a LOT of people who are going to be looking for a "regular truck" will consider this. IMO, tesla should have released a "fairly regular" looking truck, then done this cyber truck as a "limited edition, top trim only" type vehicle.
But then again perhaps his only goal was to appeal to a specific group that appreciate the cyber look, thus creating a "limited" appeal. I don't think Elon cares all that much for run-of-the-mill ideas and truthfully the fact that it stands out and is unique is what carries the most appeal for me. I'm not a ginormous fan of the look but I cannot wait to experience something different and futuristic. We cannot imagine driving any other vehicle since purchasing our Model Y and I think this CyberTruck is going to elevate our love of all things Tesla even more.

But then again perhaps his only goal was to appeal to a specific group that appreciate the cyber look, thus creating a "limited" appeal. I don't think Elon cares all that much for run-of-the-mill ideas and truthfully the fact that it stands out and is unique is what carries the most appeal for me. I'm not a ginormous fan of the look but I cannot wait to experience something different and futuristic. We cannot imagine driving any other vehicle since purchasing our Model Y and I think this CyberTruck is going to elevate our love of all things Tesla even more.

Thats fair, and also likely, actually.

Nice to see other people from my (relatively small by CA standards) city here :)

Thats fair, and also likely, actually.

Nice to see other people from my (relatively small by CA standards) city here :)

So, when I see the average truck, even working trucks, on the road in SoCal, not thinking they are used for hauling loose loads of gravel or rocks. Most folks would have that delivered for 50-100 bucks and dumped at the work site, and if you don't want that, you can buy it packaged in bulk, forklift loaded.

With the CT, I want speed, ground clearance, and most important, off grid AC power with ability to boondocks for WTSHTF scenarios and run indefinitely on solar.

I think the bed will be suitable for camping and sporting equipment, including ATVs.

Played properly, a CT could replace a existing trash hauler ICE and an a RV...for less initial and recurring cost than a refresh MS, or.MYP, faster and more range than either to boot.

Reactions: fallen888
So, when I see the average truck, even working trucks, on the road in SoCal, not thinking they are used for hauling loose loads of gravel or rocks. Most folks would have that delivered for 50-100 bucks and dumped at the work site, and if you don't want that, you can buy it packaged in bulk, forklift loaded.

With the CT, I want speed, ground clearance, and most important, off grid AC power with ability to boondocks for WTSHTF scenarios and run indefinitely on solar.

I think the bed will be suitable for camping and sporting equipment, including ATVs.

Played properly, a CT could replace a existing trash hauler ICE and an a RV...for less initial and recurring cost than a refresh MS, or.MYP, faster and more range than either to boot.
Whole point of a truck, is to haul things and not pay someone $50~100 everytime you need a load of something.

A lot of people dont buy trucks to haul things. CT will appeal to that crowd.

Whole point of a truck, is to haul things and not pay someone $50~100 everytime you need a load of something.

A lot of people dont buy trucks to haul things. CT will appeal to that crowd.

Not what I meant at all. I put 10 ft lumber and bags of stuff on the MS, and fully close the hatch.

When I want a cubic yard of bulk, or full sheets of drywall, then I call for delivery, like 5 times in 25 years. This all with
a hatchback. 99.9% of the time.

Reactions: gglockner

Im not sure why you quoted my post with a response that looks like its directed at the post from @Jjrss :

But would you feel "safe" dumping a half ton of gravel/rock/dirt from a loader directly into the back of a CT? Remember, because of the slope, the loader has to drop material from the top of the peak, not the lowest point of the bed rails.

I want a "truck" that does what trucks do. Bonus if it resembles one too. A Hummer can do a lot of what CT can, neither are "trucks".

Ram is rumored to have a 1500 EV coming out in 2024. I'm a Dodge/Mopar/Ram fanboy, but traded a Jeep Grand Cherokee with deadly blind spots for the Model Y (for wife and new baby).

If Ford or Ram EV trucks scratch the itch, I'll go full EV garage, but I need a truck that does truck stuff, not a status symbol modern day art piece.

Anyway, on the topic you two are discussing, "what you see" @aerodyne , vs what @Jjrss sees / is talking about could be because of your location vs theirs. I see work trucks here in CA of course, but what I see more of is 50-60k trucks that likely have never seen anything in the truck bed more dirty than some furniture or something.

Basically "Masculine SUVs", full of luxury features. Similar to how most "SUVs" in CA have tires that have never seen more dirt than driving off a curb, many trucks here are the same. Every truck purchase is not a work truck. My boss and co worker both drive trucks, and neither one of them are "handy guys", so they are NOT hauling gravel, or anything else in them.

Putting aside those who actually "work from their truck" for a minute, I would say, in CA, the number of people who buy a brand new truck and actually use it for hauling, gravel, etc is fairly limited.

That may be different in WA, I dont know, I have never lived there, but suspect it is a bit different in that regard.

Reactions: aerodyne
So true. Here's a typical mall crawler in Silicon Valley. A pristine lifted Ford dually with fluorescent pink rear trailing arms.

Ford_dually_lifted.jpg

I don't think this is uncommon. Go to any urban area and you see almost the exact same thing.

In general, if you see the body is lifted or jacked more than a couple inches it's a sign that it'll never be taken off-road. Maybe they'll park on the dirt on the side of a road or in gravel parking lot once in blue moon.

Anyway, on the topic you two are discussing, "what you see" @aerodyne , vs what @Jjrss sees / is talking about could be because of your location vs theirs. I see work trucks here in CA of course, but what I see more of is 50-60k trucks that likely have never seen anything in the truck bed more dirty than some furniture or something.

Basically "Masculine SUVs", full of luxury features. Similar to how most "SUVs" in CA have tires that have never seen more dirt than driving off a curb, many trucks here are the same. Every truck purchase is not a work truck. My boss and co worker both drive trucks, and neither one of them are "handy guys", so they are NOT hauling gravel, or anything else in them.

Putting aside those who actually "work from their truck" for a minute, I would say, in CA, the number of people who buy a brand new truck and actually use it for hauling, gravel, etc is fairly limited.

That may be different in WA, I dont know, I have never lived there, but suspect it is a bit different in that regard.

I fully agree, people who like eye candy cars/trucks vs those of us who need to haul gravel/manure/dirt and not pay more than what the load of material itself is worth.

A lot of homesteader types in WA outside the metro areas vs mall crawlers. We also go in the woods and procure our own firewood... you know, toxic masculine things that don't involve social signaling.

I fully agree, people who like eye candy cars/trucks vs those of us who need to haul gravel/manure/dirt and not pay more than what the load of material itself is worth.

A lot of homesteader types in WA outside the metro areas vs mall crawlers. We also go in the woods and procure our own firewood... you know, toxic masculine things that don't involve social signaling.

In most places in CA Firewood comes from the store (or not at all, because fireplaces in most of CA are decorative things used in "winter" when its 45 degrees out and people complain about how cold that is). There are places here that are like you describe, but those places are also filled with people who are likely not buying a ford lightning either. They are driving their old reliable tacoma truck into the ground, hauling that dirt and gravel.

People here in CA dont tend to buy a "new" truck to do the things you are talking about, even if they are into that lifestyle. Most are certainly not going to buy an EV yet, either. "Not enough range, what happens when I tow, I dont have time to wait for charging it, what happens when I am out hunting?"

I personally dont think we are "there yet" for "real" truck people. Work trucks, sure, although most people who are running a business that"requires" a truck probably dont want to stand out as much as this does.

Reactions: JoRoMo
I'm not a "real truck" person, so don't care about loading something like gravel in the CT. I'm just looking forward to being able to throw all four family bikes into it, and more.

Do I love the look? No. Has it grown on me? Yeah, a little.. enough to reserve one a couple of weeks ago. I considered Rivian R1T and F-150 Lightning, but R1T is too expensive and I hate Ford's infotainment screen UI (and with that ridiculous physical wheel on the screen 🤮). And other two big factors that swayed me towards the CT: charging infrastructure and battery tech. There's no real competition (yet).

Reactions: WhiteWi and Jjrss
(personal opinion only, not representing TMC, TMC moderators, or anyone other than myself)

Nope.

To me, it looks like what it is, which is a rich persons "I dont give a #@!@ I can do whatever I want" project. Its elons dream project, and it looks ridiculous, like a 1980s version of "the fuuuuttttttuuuuurrrrreeee".
I'd love to hear your rendition of "I love my Ford F-150, it's the best truck ever made and nothing can ever replace it no matter how old it gets as long as it protects me from the fuuuuttttttuuuuurrrrreeee!"

If the Cybertruck does what Cybertruck owners want and need, they will sell and Tesla will profit. If it doesn't, it won't. My dad had a pickup truck that looked nothing like the current pickups, and now Musk has an idea for something newer that looks nothing like the current pickups. The market will decide.

As I understand it, pickup trucks now cost near $60,000, so definitely not a poor person's truck. What do you care what rich people do, anyway?

I'm not a "real truck" person, so don't care about loading something like gravel in the CT. I'm just looking forward to being able to throw all four family bikes into it, and more.

Do I love the look? No. Has it grown on me? Yeah, a little.. enough to reserve one a couple of weeks ago. I considered Rivian R1T and F-150 Lightning, but R1T is too expensive and I hate Ford's infotainment screen UI (and with that ridiculous physical wheel on the screen 🤮). And other two big factors that swayed me towards the CT: charging infrastructure and battery tech. There's no real competition (yet).
Ive gone back and forth on Rivian, CT and Lightning. I'll need the towing capacity 10k~13k lbs, but not extremely far needing multiple recharges. WA is amazing, and lots of potential camping within 2 hours <120 miles. If I can make it to an established camp ground, I can recharge on 50A shared with the travel trailer.

And if you are road tripping, recharge can be made part of the experience. Getting 500+ miles on a full battery without towing would be convenient as well.

Really hoping once CT is produced they look into making the "model 3" light truck capable of being a 1/2 ton work truck. They didnt stop at the S and X for a car and SUV model.

Reactions: KJD
WA is amazing, and lots of potential camping within 2 hours <120 miles. If I can make it to an established camp ground, I can recharge on 50A shared with the travel trailer.

And if you are road tripping, recharge can be made part of the experience. Getting 500+ miles on a full battery without towing would be convenient as well.
Dude, I can't wait to go camping with the CT. Sleep in the bed, charge other accessories, maybe a traveling mini kitchen setup, etc. It'll be so much fun.

Reactions: CHGolferJim