Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are the Cybertruck's looks growing on you?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd love to hear your rendition of "I love my Ford F-150, it's the best truck ever made and nothing can ever replace it no matter how old it gets as long as it protects me from the fuuuuttttttuuuuurrrrreeee!"

If the Cybertruck does what Cybertruck owners want and need, they will sell and Tesla will profit. If it doesn't, it won't. My dad had a pickup truck that looked nothing like the current pickups, and now Musk has an idea for something newer that looks nothing like the current pickups. The market will decide.

As I understand it, pickup trucks now cost near $60,000, so definitely not a poor person's truck. What do you care what rich people do, anyway?

Who said I care about what rich people do? I answered the question posted by the thread with my opinion. I dont have any truck, so I am not sure where you got your extreme projecting here.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: WhiteWi and JoRoMo
Reactions: WhiteWi and JoRoMo
A few small dents or scratches might be more acceptable on a CyberTruck than an S or 3?
People are currently rejected the S, X and cheaper 3/Y for alignment, dents and scratches... any issues during assembly, transport and delivery are going to be a nightmare for Stainless steel blemish correction.

Easy enough to buff out a hairline scratch in paint. My '21 Y LR had 30+ scratches they buffed out on delivery day prior to taking ownership.

If the same quality issues haunt the CT, it'll go the same way as the original DMC-12. Overweight, under powered and over priced... 30k assembly planned, 9.2k actually produced, and bankrupt in 1983 after 2 years of production.

People are currently rejected the S, X and cheaper 3/Y for alignment, dents and scratches... any issues during assembly, transport and delivery are going to be a nightmare for Stainless steel blemish correction.

Easy enough to buff out a hairline scratch in paint. My '21 Y LR had 30+ scratches they buffed out on delivery day prior to taking ownership.

If the same quality issues haunt the CT, it'll go the same way as the original DMC-12. Overweight, under powered and over priced... 30k assembly planned, 9.2k actually produced, and bankrupt in 1983 after 2 years of production.

There's really no relationship at all to the delorean. That was an expensive luxury car, this is a pickup. Also that metal was very much different than what Tesla is planning to use. Indeed, the entire mental approach to this vehicle is significantly different. I can't see any connection at all.

I think Tesla is going to sell multiplied millions of these things. I wouldn't be surprised to see 10 to 50 million over the next 10 years.

Reactions: WhiteWi
There's really no relationship at all to the delorean. That was an expensive luxury car, this is a pickup. Also that metal was very much different than what Tesla is planning to use. Indeed, the entire mental approach to this vehicle is significantly different. I can't see any connection at all.

I think Tesla is going to sell multiplied millions of these things. I wouldn't be surprised to see 10 to 50 million over the next 10 years.
Name one other successful stainless steel vehicle. While it is more durable, its not impervious to collision damage.

I have no doubt it'll be sold out. I'm just predicting delivery issues more so than current Tesla cars, and buyers remorse when collisions happen and no one but Tesla is skilled enough to repair it.

I really wonder what insurance will be on these.

Name one other successful stainless steel vehicle. While it is more durable, its not impervious to collision damage.

I have no doubt it'll be sold out. I'm just predicting delivery issues more so than current Tesla cars, and buyers remorse when collisions happen and no one but Tesla is skilled enough to repair it.

I really wonder what insurance will be on these.

It is going to be surprising if any kind of major wreck isn't a complete total every time. Since the ectoskeleton is the frame also, it can't be simply repaired like other things, say a fender, might be able to be on other trucks. Yes, insurance companies are going to have to figure out this new thing.

• Helpful
Reactions: gglockner
How much is this cold rolled steel vs. typical sheet metal? How are they able to meet the $40-50k price point for a full size truck?

I believe the idea is more that there is no need for a frame, as there is on a traditional pickup truck. Thus, even though the steel is more expensive than the sheet metal might be for fenders et all, the lack of frame reduces the cost dramatically.

It is going to be surprising if any kind of major wreck isn't a complete total every time. Since the ectoskeleton is the frame also, it can't be simply repaired like other things, say a fender, might be able to be on other trucks. Yes, insurance companies are going to have to figure out this new thing.
Probably the fastest production truck ever, and any impact resulting in frame damage could potentially total the vehicle...

Chances are, most insurance companies won't insure it, and those that do might charge a premium and deductible so high that it becomes unaffordable for a good portion of the million+ pre-orders.

Reactions: gglockner
I like the overall utility which seems logically expressed in its angular looks, which makes me realize that is why I like the looks.

Also the (hopeful?) fact that we can roll up hovering only 4" off the ground or as high as 20" above it. I am trying to visually interpret that 16" ground clearance adjustability statement Elon made.

While I agree the stainless steel exoskeleton may be problematic, this is not a valid argument. You could have used the same reasoning pre-Elon to prove that electric vehicles would never be successful.
Don't get me wrong. They'll sell like hotcakes.

But people are going to get sticker shock on delivery with insurance. Insurance conpanies exist to make money, and repairs could prove to be prohibitively expensive. And if the CT has quality issues (like all other Tesla cars, do some research on delivery quality of the Model Y)... it could pinch the profit margins of Tesla overall to deliver on Elon's CT dreams.

Consumers wont take delivery of a stainless steel truck with panel gaps, dents and scratches... especially on a $60K+ purchase.

Cool concept... but the market post delivery is still not ready for it. Potentially the market can adjust if enough people buy into it. I'd just hate to be an early adopter of stainless if Tesla pulled the plug and no one else picked up the pieces. Tesla may have to beef up their own body repair shops as much as they have built out the Supercharging infrastructure to make EVs an actuality. (And that comes at a cost, someone needs to pay for to make it a profitable business)

Last edited:

But people are going to get sticker shock on delivery with insurance. Insurance conpanies exist to make money, and repairs could prove to be prohibitively expensive. And if the CT has quality issues (like all other Tesla cars, do some research on delivery quality of the Model Y)... it could pinch the profit margins of Tesla overall to deliver on Elon's CT dreams.

Consumers wont take delivery of a stainless steel truck with panel gaps, dents and scratches... especially on a $60K+ purchase.

Cool concept... but the market post delivery is still not ready for it. Potentially the market can adjust if enough people buy into it. I'd just hate to be an early adopter of stainless if Tesla pulled the plug and no one else picked up the pieces. Tesla may have to beef up their own body repair shops as much as they have built out the Supercharging infrastructure to make EVs an actuality. (And that comes at a cost, someone needs to pay for to make it a profitable business)

I'm just hoping by then that Tesla Insurance reaches where I live (Vegas).

But if not, I did get by for the past three years during my Model S lease by using a 40-plus year-old *accident-free* policy number (they have that for old-time clients at State Farm I guess) and insurance was half what I was getting quoted by other companies.

Needless to say I'll be comparing rates when the time comes (should hopefully be early next year if my resv. number in the low 40K's across all trims makes a difference), and at least I will always have that State Farm ace up my sleeve to compare with.

Guessing the panel gaps won't be as much of an issue since there aren't that many and scratches may or may not be relevant. Having seen a lot of stainless steel on boats, it does scratch but doesn't show the way paint would. The repair process will be interesting and fortunately for me, my reservation was so late, there will be plenty of time to see how it goes with the early production. If it doesn't go well, then F-150 or Rivian, both of which I think look great. I put my reservation on the CT inspite of the looks, because the dual motor at 50K is a great price for a truck, assuming like other Tesla models there really aren't other options you will need to add. Additionally, while some counter-intuitive, as someone who grew up with trucks, I think it is going to be a very practical truck. Anyway, my reservation won't get filled until '24 or '25, I'll enjoy my MS in the meantime...