Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are the Michelin pilot sport 4S the best summer tire for the model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Received our Model 3 last week and we are upgrading our wheels/tires. We live in a warm sunny climate, so performance tires are preferred. It looks like the Michelin pilot sport 4s tires are the highest rated tire in this category.

Any other tires we should consider?

Hopefully we can sell our 18 aero wheels/tires easily.

Received our Model 3 last week and we are upgrading our wheels/tires. We live in a warm sunny climate, so performance tires are preferred. It looks like the Michelin pilot sport 4s tires are the highest rated tire in this category.

Answer to your title question: yes, no doubt.

Reactions: AZWhiteM3
What size? TireRack says it’s not compatible with Model 3 in any OEM size. It does not meet load range in 235/45R18 size.

I'm using them on 19". Op in this thread mentioned selling his 18" rims.

Load rating numbers are identical to the 4S, 1,565 lbs

Tirerack lists it as compatible.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?autoMake=Tesla&autoYear=2019&autoModel=Model+3&autoModClar=Rear-Wheel+Drive&width=235/&ratio=40&diameter=19&minSpeedRating=V&minLoadRating=XL&customSizeSearch=true&tireIndex=null&TDGSkip=true&tab=TDG

Last edited:
Heard 4s are the best. Haven't heard a bad thing about them.

Depends on what you're looking for. If it's looking for price, longevity, and comfort, the 4S isn't optimal.

For me, I'm driving on the road and most tires do fine in dry, so I look for what works best in wet conditions. Last thing I want is to lose control or be unable to stop when I hit a puddle.

For my desired requirements, the Avid GT tires are the top in its category for me.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=GTAS

(note where the OEM Michelin Primacy MXM4 ranks)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: hellohithere
Depends on what you're looking for. If it's looking for price, longevity, and comfort, the 4S isn't optimal.

For me, I'm driving on the road and most tires do fine in dry, so I look for what works best in wet conditions. Last thing I want is to lose control or be unable to stop when I hit a puddle.

For my desired requirements, the Avid GT tires are the top in its category for me.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=GTAS

(note where the OEM Michelin Primacy MXM4 ranks)

Sticking to the category the OP asked in look what’s on top.

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=MP

The 4S has even higher wet performance and with way more reviews than the AVID GT.

I also run a 19” Grand Touring All Season but my criteria was different (noise being #1).

I've been debating with myself whether to go for these or PS3 A/S (or PS3+ A/S) for an 18" wheel. The PS4S are Summer, but are the PS3 A/S a summer bias tire or just straight all seasons? Not sure what do for the best (UK based).

]https://m.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=MP

The 4S has even higher wet performance and with way more reviews than the AVID GT.

AVID GT is a new tire, it came out less than a year ago.

The 4S is a 300 wear rating tire, so it's significantly softer. You can't get 100% on all categories, it's physically impossible. If you're OK with swapping out your tires two to three times as often to gain a bit more wet traction, that's the compromise.

When I find a tire that has good wear and won't spin the wheels on wet pavement, I am pretty happy with the results.

This will be my last post on this thread since I am talking about a non summer tire.

PS: If you search, you will see forum members using it on their model S too

Last edited:
Reactions: follow.johnny

Hands down best tire for the car. Make sure that you got the Tesla specific version of the 235/35 - 20. The differences are not just the acoustic foam but also a redesign of the tread. The tread is significantly wider. If you're going staggered also make sure you get the Tesla specific 275 / 30. It is almost a full inch wider than other more generic 275/30 4S tires. Nobody knows exactly what Tesla and Michelin did to that Tesla specific tire but the speculation is that the outer rib is slightly wider and slightly softer, and the center rib might be slightly harder.

The combined effect of these changes would be to give extra cornering in hard turns, reduced accelerated crown wear at high inflation pressures, and reduced rolling resistance relative to a larger 245 / 35, as a 235 tire is generally considered too skinny to support a 4000 pound car. However it's actual tread width is 8.8 in, wider than any 245 / 35 and as wide as an average of the three available 255/35 4S tires on the Michelin spec sheet. Lots of people think the acoustic foam is the only difference between the tires but I believe that significantly mistake.

The 4S is the best street Tire anybody's ever made. There's pretty much no debate about this. It's amazingly comfortable, has excellent transient response as well as pretty high ultimate grip, gives great feedback and it might be the best tire in wet weather for performance driving anyone's ever made including even relative to the Extreme Performance Bridgestone re71 that beats it in the dry. The one downside of all these changes may be that's because of the extra tread width and perhaps the softer compound, the tire is really highly vulnerable to chunking when it gets super hot and you track it, especially if you don't have some way of giving the tire more negative camber which is impossible currently to do on the front of the car. Even with lowering the car it's tough to get to more than about a degree of negative camber which is not enough for tracking. It's significantly more vulnerable to chunking and essentially the disintegration of the outer tread area than its predecessor Tire the Michelin Super Sport. This does mean that if you really like Michelin tires, you might explore putting super sports on the car if you're planning on getting on the track. Better yet though is get a second set of tires for the track.

Hope that's helpful.

Last edited:
RE71R is better

You have to add some more context to that statement though. The RE-71R is better in terms of absolute grip, but it's in an entirely different class of tire compared to the Pilot Sport 4S. It will wear much faster, has WAY more noise, slings gravel against your paint etc. Really meant for track usage.

For a daily driver that rarely (or never) sees the track, the PS4S really can't be beat.

You have to add some more context to that statement though. The RE-71R is better in terms of absolute grip, but it's in an entirely different class of tire compared to the Pilot Sport 4S. It will wear much faster, has WAY more noise, slings gravel against your paint etc. Really meant for track usage.

For a daily driver that rarely (or never) sees the track, the PS4S really can't be beat.

Terse statements like kbecks13 without any explanation or substantiation may be ignored out of hand.

Terse statements like kbecks13 without any explanation or substantiation may be ignored out of hand.

it's in an entirely different class of tire

PS4S.JPG

RE71.JPG

You might want to look at the Sport 4.

Model 3 18” Aero Wheel and Summer Tire Package

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...odel 3&autoModClar=Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive