Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are the pillar cameras heated after all?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anybody have any issue with ice forming inside glass? Is this expected or is the an issue?

Got a “blinded” message thinking it was salt from roads… got out to see ice had formed inside…View attachment 888592
Not long after picking up my MY I noticed that one of the b-pillar cameras kept getting condensation inside. I put in a service request and they replaced it. I've not experienced condensation since.

Not long after picking up my MY I noticed that one of the b-pillar cameras kept getting condensation inside. I put in a service request and they replaced it. I've not experienced condensation since.
The condensation problem I have had since getting MS R 3 years ago happens under very specific and predictable conditions. It is not surprisingly down to humidity, temperature and barometric pressure.

Rapid changes in temperature or anything that results in the cabin being warm and relatively humid at the same time as the glass of the b-pillar camera being cold ends up forming condensation on the inside of the camera window. Often just resting a hand over the outside of the appliqué is sufficient to clear the condensation, but not very convenient!

I'd be interested to hear in a couple of months if the fix really worked, and if so, what was actually fitted - especially to a recent car that presumably has the most up to date parts already. That being the case, your experience would possibly suggest that something was actually 'broken' or faulty. I'm not sure what could go wrong and get fixed by replacing a part with the same recent part though.

Last edited:
The condensation problem I have had since getting MS R 3 years ago happens under very specific and predictable conditions. It is not surprisingly down to humidity, temperature and barometric pressure.

Rapid changes in temperature or anything that results in the cabin being warm and relatively humid at the same time as the glass of the b-pillar camera being cold ends up forming condensation on the inside of the camera window. Often just resting a hand over the outside of the appliqué is sufficient to clear the condensation, but not very convenient!

I'd be interested to hear in a couple of months if the fix really worked, and if so, what was actually fitted - especially to a recent car that presumably has the most up to date parts already. That being the case, your experience would possibly suggest that something was actually 'broken' or faulty. I'm not sure what could go wrong and get fixed by replacing a part with the same recent part.
The condensation happened within a couple of weeks of ownership and I just assumed something wasn't fitted properly, so reported it. It was replaced 3 months ago and I've not noticed it since. I do still suffer from the camera-blocked message, but when I've looked I haven't seen any condensation. I'll keep an eye on it and report back if the condensation reappears.

Reactions: Battpower