Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are there any TM3s out there without ANY issues?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
M3 + LRR + PUP + blue delivered Thursday, January 25, 2018. No problems to report; ~1K miles driven.

However, note that Tesla proactively initiated a right front passenger seat replacement as part of a quality study they were doing. I can't emphasize more that we noticed no problems whatsoever with that seat.

I disagree with certain design decisions, e.g., door handles that are hard to open with the "wrong" hand and windshield wiper controls located on console rather than on wiper stalk. But it's an awesome vehicle with a $35K base price. My family will get a second one later this summer when AWD becomes available, at which point our remaining Prius will fly out of our lives to become someone else's pre-owned.

Alan

Any new car is going to have some issue one time or another. Owned a brand new Hyundai SantaFe in 2011 and had numerous airbag issues within the first year. Service was terrible. That being said, I think the quality of the service to fix any issues is more important to me. From what I’ve heard Tesla service is exceptional and they go the extra mile to help their customers. So, yes I may or may not have an issue when I receive my M3 but I’m satisfied knowing that the issue will get fixed to my satisfaction.

FIA, Forum Induced Anxiety.

Most every product that has a forum heavily weights with people complaining about this or that. Someone that is having a problem with their radio may rant about how unfair it is that they have to deal with it, while totally ignoring that the rest of the car is performing beautifully.

Most auto dealerships have much larger and far busier service centers than new car showrooms. This is because cars are complicated and it is not at all unusual for them to need some after sale services to address issues that come up in the first miles.

I believe that most buyers expect that their new automobiles will be absolutely perfect. No flaws or problems, since it is brand new and very expensive, however life is not like that.

When a brand new model comes out, it is not unusual for there to be some teething issues. It takes a while for the feedback to get to the manufacturer and changes made to improve quality. Tesla has a continuing quality improvement policy. They make changes ever day to make their cars better.

My experience with Japanese vehicles have been pretty good. Some problems, but usually pretty reliable for many miles. Problem is that the cars are quite boring and offer little driving satisfaction.

My experience with European vheicles has been much worse. Lots of problems and trips back to the service center. Difficulty in getting things fixed the first time, and often other things get broken while they are fixing the first issue. Upside is that these cars have been very rewarding to drive, and the enjoyment level is one of the best parts.

I believe that Tesla is better than most for cars coming off a new assembly line. The driving experience is off the charts good and operating expenses are far below any ICE car. Getting rid of polluting gasoline and annoying multi speed transmissions, best in the world throttle response and smooth torque make the car very appealing.

However, if you require to be guaranteed a perfect, trouble free vehicle, Tesla (nor any car) will rately meet such high expectations.

I think this topic is overblown. Cars are reasonably complicated machines with lots and lots of parts and need to work in harsh environments. Every car I've ever owned, including from the "most reliable" Japanese brands, has had some type of issue in the first 30 days. I'm not going to get all bent out of shape about it though, as long as the company owns up and deals with them appropriately.

Now the exception will be the Hyundai Santa Fe I had which was on it's third transmission within the first 6 months. That one I'm calling out as exceptionally bad. But since then it's only had "normal" issues like tie rods, rust, and such.

My Model S had issues in the first 30 days. Tesla accepted and fixed them all. I'm happy.
My experience with cars has been somewhat different. My 2012 LEAF had no problems in the 4+ years I owned it. None. Even the battery capacity declined at about the same rate as predicted in the paperwork I signed when I bought it. My '86 VW Golf went for many years before it had any problems, although it was a much more simple car than the rolling computers nowadays. I kept driving it for 25 years (230,000+ miles) and intended to keep it for another five until I hit a deer at night and that was the end of it. On the other hand, my '96 Jeep Cherokee had its share of problems, notably warped brake rotors that had to be replaced over and over. And my original '73 Honda Civic had some problems, such as two broken timing belts — when that happens you roll to a stop and are parked! (After the first one I got cheated by a dealer and Honda gave me a partial refund as a goodwill gesture.) Also had a broken clutch cable but it was such a simple car it was an easy DIY replacement. So, I don't know that I buy the idea that all new cars should be expected to have problems that need fixing.

My Model S60 has had its share of problems but Tesla warranty service has been outstanding. It is a bit of a nuisance though. Sure is a wonderful car to drive — I do about 19,000 miles a year, most of it long road trips.