Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are these operating modes possible?

RKCRLR

Apr 13, 2020
Garden Valley, CA
I just saw on another post that there is an option to tell the app your utility and rate plan (go to Performance, scroll down to Solar Value, and tap on the utility and rate plan at the bottom of the page). I didn't know that option existed.

If Tesla wanted to be REALLY SLICK, they'd add an operating mode that targets a $0 annual true-up while minimizing NBCs and Powerwall cycles. They have all the necessary data to do that.

Reactions: BGbreeder

MorrisonHiker

S 100D 2021.4.18.2
Mar 8, 2015
Colorado
I just saw on another post that there is an option to tell the app your utility and rate plan (go to Performance, scroll down to Solar Value, and tap on the utility and rate plan at the bottom of the page). I didn't know that option existed.

If Tesla wanted to be REALLY SLICK, they'd add an operating mode that targets a $0 annual true-up while minimizing NBCs and Powerwall cycles. They have all the necessary data to do that.
It looks like the "Solar Value" or "utility and rate plan" options are only available in limited areas at this time. Others are discussing this new functionality here: PGE rate plan choices

RKCRLR

Apr 13, 2020
Garden Valley, CA
The Powerwalls would get charged from the excess solar that the home doesn't consume in the morning. There would need to be some AI involved like in Balanced mode where the system would recognize if there isn't enough solar being diverted to fully recharge the Powerwalls before the next Peak period and then prioritize the Powerwalls.

I'm going back to Cost Saving with Peak set from 4-9pm and Off-Peak at other times. My experience with Cost Saving Shoulder is it will allow discharging the Powerwalls to the home. I don't want that happening during off-peak hours.
As a follow-up, I tried Cost Saving mode with Shoulder set to 4-8pm and Peak set to 8-9pm and it did something a little different than expected. On some of the hotter days it was prioritizing home consumption over sending solar to the grid during Shoulder period (which is good); however it would also draw power from the grid instead of the Powerwall during Shoulder (which is bad).
So I'm back to Cost Saving with Peak set to 4-9pm and Off-Peak at all other times.

getakey

Jan 28, 2020
As a follow-up, I tried Cost Saving mode with Shoulder set to 4-8pm and Peak set to 8-9pm and it did something a little different than expected. On some of the hotter days it was prioritizing home consumption over sending solar to the grid during Shoulder period (which is good); however it would also draw power from the grid instead of the Powerwall during Shoulder (which is bad).
So I'm back to Cost Saving with Peak set to 4-9pm and Off-Peak at all other times.
That's exactly how I have mine set. Only Peak during actual Peak and Off peak all other times

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC