Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are these tiny imperfections "within spec"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up my new M3 last month. First car for me and I'm ecstatic, as I expected to be!
As I said I haven't owned a car before so I really don't know what kind of perfectionism is reasonable for a car at this price range, so please tell me if this is all fine and I should chill out.

I wanted to hear from you guys if these tiny imperfections in the interior are what they call "within spec", or if I should call service? Its the rubber trim along some of the windows that seems bent as if it was too long when they put it on.

In addition there is a tiny gab (like 1 mm) at one side of the "wood" panel up front - normal/acceptable?

Thanks for any comments

Attachments

• IMG_20210616_172140.jpg
    IMG_20210616_172140.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_20210616_172150.jpg
    IMG_20210616_172150.jpg
    322 KB · Views: 107
I would definitely try to get them replace either by a Mobile Ranger if you’re far from a SC or get it done at a Service Center. However………and you know what’s coming. I had similar replaced under warranty out of “good will” ie. no charge back in the summer of 2018 on my Sept 2018 P3D+. But alas I’m sure now Tesla will say it’s “within Spec”. YMMV. Let us know what they say. Put in a work order for service via the app and best of luck to you my friend!

Ski

If you are close to a Service Center, may be make an appointment using your phone App, in general you get a reply the next few day.
Try sending some pictures too, or you should get someone asking for some pictures, but it might take some time to get an appointment if parts need to get ordered.

However, about the rubber trim, on my car one window had this problem, but I was able to put it correctly after removing it and playing with it a little bit.
I assume that during packaging and storage, the rubber trim was compressed and keept this odd shape.

About the wood panel, there are some Youtube video showing how to remove the wood panel.
It seems that the wood piece is glue to the plastic shelf holding it, so if there is a problem,
the whole shelf would have to be replace if the wood is not correctly installed on top of it?

Last edited:
Was told that it is within spec as I feared. They have a tolerance within 4mm and this was apparently within that. They were a bit funny about it, being like "This is something we see often, so....", "So this is expected? I mean, surely this can't be the intended look", "No, but.. it's quite common, so..."
Not really an answer to my question, but the 4mm tolerance was at least a metric I can understand, and although I would have preferred to have it fixed on a car of this price, I can live with it.

He even went as far as to say that the main expensive part is the battery and all the technical stuff, but the build quality should not be presumed to be super high. The Tesla guy said this! Very surprised at this, but don't know if this is common knowledge.. (?)

It's fairly common once you read threads on TMC. If Tesla won't try to adjust it, you can easily fiddle with it yourself. It's just soft rubber gasket, that needs a little patience to massage into place without the kinking in the corner.

Picked up my new M3 last month. First car for me and I'm ecstatic, as I expected to be!
As I said I haven't owned a car before so I really don't know what kind of perfectionism is reasonable for a car at this price range, so please tell me if this is all fine and I should chill out.

I wanted to hear from you guys if these tiny imperfections in the interior are what they call "within spec", or if I should call service? Its the rubber trim along some of the windows that seems bent as if it was too long when they put it on.

In addition there is a tiny gab (like 1 mm) at one side of the "wood" panel up front - normal/acceptable?

Thanks for any comments
I just noticed the same thing happening in the back of my 2 week old LR. I’m making an appointment because I blame those for why it sounds like the windows are down in the back at 60mph

Thanks for any comments
I have found that liberal application of "The Force" will eventually get them to do something. Sad, but true.