Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are you right for FSD Beta?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FSD Beta is remarkable, but I'm afraid that it requires a far greater attention to driving than what people are going to give it. Having been a software developer for decades, I have beta tested pretty much every OS from Windows95 to IOS15. Aside from needing to test it for work purposes, there was always a fascination at seeing where the next iteration of software was going. Being beta software, I always had a second computer or device where the beta resided, because most times that beta software WAS NOT ready for everyday use and quite often rendered a device useless.

I say this because after driving FSD Beta for a few weeks, I'm finding the same glitches and issues that I have in every piece of beta software I've tested. The difference is, this is the only beta test I've participated in where someone could get physically injured, if not more.

If you applied for the beta, if you have the beta, or if you're considering applying for the beta, be aware that using it, especially in traffic or with other cars around, is dangerous. If you're the type that understands that and will use FSD and be ready to brake or grab the steering wheel in a millisecond, then by all means you're the people Tesla needs. If, however, you're desperately wanting FSD in the same manner which you want the newest piece of tech; or if you're thinking of the YouTube videos you can make with FSD beta, then I strongly recommend you reconsider. If completely changing your driving style in order to "game" the safety score and get FSD was aggravating for you, then I strongly suggest you reconsider FSD Beta.

Having driven with FSD Beta now for a few weeks, I can say that it's incredibly impressive, but nowhere near ready to be autonomous driving. I've found that I am constantly disengaging and re-engaging. There are also times where FSD just disengages itself, particularly on one set of turns near my house where it is going the speed limit and then disengages at the apex of a 90 degree turn. Left or right turns often require intervention as the car creeps out and stops, creeps out and stops - when no cars are coming. That stopping has almost caused a few vehicles behind to rear end.

What I'm saying is simply this: If you have FSD, just remember that it truly will do the wrong thing at the worst possible time. That's not just a disclaimer. Be alert, be ready to correct.

Ok, Dad warning done.

I don't know how much more clear Tesla could make it. I've beta tested for decades as well, and it's a DELIGHT to test software like this really. (Although I can't do it with my wife or daughter in the car, they hate it.. heheh)

It's strange, all these complaints we have to wade through on the forums. FSD early beta is for TESTING, that's easy to understand: you must pay attention MUCH MORE than you would EVER when driving normally, and report everything you can. If it's not the right time of day, or you're in a rush (over 80mph SMH or in intense traffic that you need to get ahead in).. just drive the Tesla.

The FSD beta is meant for TESTING not using. I kinda wish the leads of the team would wade through the forums and remove from beta everyone that expects/demands something more. Better bad public opinion on NOT having it yet at all, than being in a testing group whining about everything.

Thanks for your thoughts.. looking forward to catching other quips and mistakes in the beta! =) The finished product is coming RSN, and hoping to see who gets to the market first on a final FSD product. Yep, Apple is working hard on this.. and when they release it will NOT be a beta at all =)

I'm amazed that some people claim FSD beta is safe. What is safe is FSD beta + close driver monitoring. If people think FSD beta is safe then the situation becomes dangerous because some will believe they don't have to monitor closely. As FSD beta becomes better the danger increases because people will be less likely to monitor.

Reactions: LastGas
I don't know how much more clear Tesla could make it. I've beta tested for decades as well, and it's a DELIGHT to test software like this really. (Although I can't do it with my wife or daughter in the car, they hate it.. heheh)

It's strange, all these complaints we have to wade through on the forums. FSD early beta is for TESTING, that's easy to understand: you must pay attention MUCH MORE than you would EVER when driving normally, and report everything you can. If it's not the right time of day, or you're in a rush (over 80mph SMH or in intense traffic that you need to get ahead in).. just drive the Tesla.

The FSD beta is meant for TESTING not using. I kinda wish the leads of the team would wade through the forums and remove from beta everyone that expects/demands something more. Better bad public opinion on NOT having it yet at all, than being in a testing group whining about everything.

Thanks for your thoughts.. looking forward to catching other quips and mistakes in the beta! =) The finished product is coming RSN, and hoping to see who gets to the market first on a final FSD product. Yep, Apple is working hard on this.. and when they release it will NOT be a beta at all =)

Haha... my wife and daughter feel the same way. I also get bizarre looks when I'm entering a destination in the nav that is 5 min away, so I usually just test it when I'm by myself. Preferably very early or late in the day when there aren't as many other cars on the road.

I was watching a YouTube video the other day where someone was demonstrating FSD 10.4 as they were going by a cyclist on the right with a vehicle coming toward them in the oncoming left lane. There is NO WAY I would have left FSD engaged in this situation, yet the YouTuber did so and praised the system when passing the cyclist and the oncoming car at how brilliantly it handled a difficult situation.

And if the cyclist got hit because FSD adjusted to the oncoming car in the left lane and moved right a bit? It's something like this that would end FSD in Tesla altogether once the media got hold of it.

All that aside, I could really see Elon turning the FSD AI into a bigger revenue generator than the vehicles themselves. Perfecting and then licensing the technology is an interesting proposition!

You can hold the wheel in a manner that makes it impossible for FSD to swerve into a bicyclist. Just have to be hyper alert, always with fsd.

Last weekend I got a warning from the center console that being unsafe could result them taking beta away. It would not reengage fsd until I pulled over and put the car in park. I have NO idea what I did to cause that. I know I disengaged several times when I thought fsd was a little too close for comfort. And I was wearing sunglasses which may have prevented it from detecting my eyes for paying attention. But I was definitely applying torque to the wheel. I never thought I would feel shame from being scolded by a machine but I kinda did.

• Funny
Reactions: 95gator
It's fun to test it, but in fast heavy urban traffic , or when you have something else on your mind, or are in a hurry, it can be quite stressful.

It has definitely caused my insurance safety score to suffer - I had three weeks of straight 100's when I got the upgrade from 10.3.1 to 10.4 and on every drive since I have gotten scores as low as 96. This is due to sudden disengagements during hard phantom braking, driving in the center of the road when there are no lines, and left turn lane issues - 10.4 seems to only want to get in left turn lanes at the very last second. This version scares me in general and I have turned it off for at least a few days.

I enjoy using Beta. I also don’t generally find it too onerous to use it or intervene when I need to. I know I’m the one driving the car, and I know what I would be doing in any situation, so if the car does something different, I just intervene. There is some leeway there where I’ll let the steering wheel do it’s minor twitches, but if I feel the car brake when I wouldn’t, I hit the go pedal. If I feel the car trying to change lanes when I wouldn’t, I don’t let it (either by canceling the lane change using the turn stalk or taking the wheel when the car occasionally decides to do a swerve lane change without the signal). If I feel the car decide to apparently make an unprotected left turn across two lanes of traffic with both lanes full of a constant stream of oncoming cars like it seemingly tried to do yesterday, I just stop it.

I'm definitely not right because calling it a beta is a REAL stretch.

I'd be in jail if verbally abusing FSD "Beta" was a crime.

I'd love to know what an actual FSD Engineer at Tesla thinks about releasing this to so many customers who signed up for it. What possible justification is there for it being released this early?

I'm not seeing glitches, but total functionality not working.

10.3.1 had so many phantom braking events that it wasn't even useable
10.4 seems better, but still can't do turns from a stop light/sign properly.

I joined a PNW FSD Beta group on FB just so I could see if there was an intersection anywhere near me where FSD could handle.

For the most part I stopped using it except unless an opportunity presents itself where there is a turn coming up in my navigation, and no one around to mess it up or anything to hit. Or at 4 way stops going straight because I like using it in those situations.

I'm still looking for the first beautifully executed turn from my car.

I'm going to start thinking about excuses for service in hopes that something is identified during the service that is causing FSD Beta to be so bad.

People who don't like it, shouldn't use it.

I think people are using it to try to figure out what other people are liking. Or using it only in situations where its useful which defeats the entire purpose of Testing.

This is where I'm at now because its simply too fatiguing to use it for very long.

I'll probably get together with local FSD owners to compare notes.

Maybe that's what I hate the most. That it's forcing me to socialize with humans.

Uck!!!! :p

For the most part I stopped using it except unless an opportunity presents itself where there is a turn coming up in my navigation, and no one around to mess it up or anything to hit. Or at 4 way stops going straight because I like using it in those situations.
Same. I typically drive really early in the morning and use it each time, but once there are others around I usually turn it off or just use FSD without NoA. Too many close calls. I'm glad I got the beta and use it, but I've already had too many close calls to feel really comfortable using it all the time.

Fully agree with OP.
I ended up with two profiles, one with FSD that I use with just me in the car, the other profile with FSD disabled when the family.
They can immediately feel if FSD is in use due to the jerky steering and not even slightly smooth braking/acceleration.
I'm definitely getting a student driver tag for the back of the car when I'm testing routes.
However, I can feel the improvement from 10.3.1 to 10.4

You can hold the wheel in a manner that makes it impossible for FSD to swerve into a bicyclist. Just have to be hyper alert, always with fsd.

Last weekend I got a warning from the center console that being unsafe could result them taking beta away. It would not reengage fsd until I pulled over and put the car in park. I have NO idea what I did to cause that. I know I disengaged several times when I thought fsd was a little too close for comfort. And I was wearing sunglasses which may have prevented it from detecting my eyes for paying attention. But I was definitely applying torque to the wheel. I never thought I would feel shame from being scolded by a machine but I kinda did.
I find that with the yoke it's even easier. I can confidently prevent the wheel from steering to the right/left by just making a fist and putting it right under the yoke, with my leg immediately underneath.

I think the mistake was referring to it as FSD beta. Tesla owners are desensitized to the term beta because so many features are still referred to as beta, heck the auto wipers are still beta. The beta features in the car are close to being release candidates, while Nav on City Streets is closer to alpha. So many people want it because they think it's the FSD they paid for years ago. More people might be cautious if it were called 'FSD beta that will crash your car if you don't watch it like a hawk and you're at fault.' All it's going to take is a few inattentive drivers and some bad luck and the press and public outcry might set FSD back years.

Maybe that's what I hate the most. That it's forcing me to socialize with humans.

1637019968978.jpeg

FSD Beta is remarkable, but I'm afraid that it requires a far greater attention to driving than what people are going to give it. Having been a software developer for decades, I have beta tested pretty much every OS from Windows95 to IOS15. Aside from needing to test it for work purposes, there was always a fascination at seeing where the next iteration of software was going. Being beta software, I always had a second computer or device where the beta resided, because most times that beta software WAS NOT ready for everyday use and quite often rendered a device useless.

I say this because after driving FSD Beta for a few weeks, I'm finding the same glitches and issues that I have in every piece of beta software I've tested. The difference is, this is the only beta test I've participated in where someone could get physically injured, if not more.

If you applied for the beta, if you have the beta, or if you're considering applying for the beta, be aware that using it, especially in traffic or with other cars around, is dangerous. If you're the type that understands that and will use FSD and be ready to brake or grab the steering wheel in a millisecond, then by all means you're the people Tesla needs. If, however, you're desperately wanting FSD in the same manner which you want the newest piece of tech; or if you're thinking of the YouTube videos you can make with FSD beta, then I strongly recommend you reconsider. If completely changing your driving style in order to "game" the safety score and get FSD was aggravating for you, then I strongly suggest you reconsider FSD Beta.

Having driven with FSD Beta now for a few weeks, I can say that it's incredibly impressive, but nowhere near ready to be autonomous driving. I've found that I am constantly disengaging and re-engaging. There are also times where FSD just disengages itself, particularly on one set of turns near my house where it is going the speed limit and then disengages at the apex of a 90 degree turn. Left or right turns often require intervention as the car creeps out and stops, creeps out and stops - when no cars are coming. That stopping has almost caused a few vehicles behind to rear end.

What I'm saying is simply this: If you have FSD, just remember that it truly will do the wrong thing at the worst possible time. That's not just a disclaimer. Be alert, be ready to correct.

Ok, Dad warning done.
WELL SAID! And after only one drive with 10.4, couldn’t agree with you more.

I used to Alpha and Beta test for inMusic. A company that it now the parent company to brands like Rane, Akai, Denon and many more so I used to test out their OS’s and hardware that was being released and used to do the same.

However sticking in the music industry there are some beta software like Ableton that came pretty damn ready but this is not. I agree with you. I’m glad I got it now and not a year ago, I’ll say that.