Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD beta v12.3 pulls the ultimate April Fools joke

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I posted a similar thread from my experience last night. FSD curbed both passenger side rims and it wasn’t a matter of not being vigilant. The car was in FSD, driving great, there’s a turn near our house and the car, previously, never had a problem making it around. This time, it was going around it and decided to go straight during mid-turn! There was no time for me to turn the steering wheel to avoid it, either. My wife was with me and we were both shocked when it happened. I’m still a fan of v12 but I’m not sure how well the 12.3.3 rollout to everyone is going to go as FSD (supervised) seems to be having issues curbing wheels as well as the speed issues. As a shareholder, I’m a bit nervous about this rollout (as well as a possible class-action lawsuit being filed).

Interesting as the curb is painted red as well. I feel like the car really can't gauge its distance to curbs well enough.

I have a hypothesis. Are all the reports of curbing wheels from Model Y & X?

There is a major influence of Model 3 training data of course. The path charted by Model 3 from human drivers is not always acceptable for Y and X as they are wider, but the FSD system might not take that into account yet. It just does what its nets have seen as examples of human driving, and the point of view is from the center of the car.

This is a deficiency going to end-to-end nets (not insolvable but harder) instead of explicit physical space path planning and optimization and physics knowledge of sizes/widths, vehicle boundary and drivable area boundary.

I have a hypothesis. Are all the reports of curbing wheels from Model Y & X?

There is a major influence of Model 3 training data of course. The path charted by Model 3 from human drivers is not always acceptable for Y and X as they are wider, but the FSD system might not take that into account yet. It just does what its nets have seen as examples of human driving, and the point of view is from the center of the car.

This is a deficiency going to end-to-end nets (not insolvable but harder) instead of explicit physical space path planning and optimization and physics knowledge of sizes/widths, vehicle boundary and drivable area boundary.
FSD curbed my model 3, so I am unsure. But I also think S, X, and Y will have a higher curb rate considering their width.

I'm just mildly "amused" by the fact that folks let FSD beta - pardon "supervised" - curb their car and cause damage to the wheel/ potentially side wall of tire.... just so Elon can collect free data points. You would think they could have run FSD by now on plenty of 3 / Y so that doesn't happen when they offer a "free trial" to anyone. My "trial" FSD also nearly curbed my vehicle but I intervened and haven't used it since... not worth ruining a wheel ...

You would think they could have run FSD by now on plenty of 3 / Y so that doesn't happen when they offer a "free trial" to anyone. My "trial" FSD also nearly curbed my vehicle but I intervened and haven't used it since... not worth ruining a wheel ...
Actually I don't get this part. Supposedly FSDs learns by watching millions upon millions of right hand turn videos to mimic an AI-generated precise route for the cirmstances.

How many of those videos curbed the wheels? Presumably none. So WHERE did it learn to do otherwise?

Feel free to insert Twilight Zone music if applies. ;)

a painful and expensive case of severe road rash for FSD 12.3.3 with expensive repair and misalignment for sure. FF to 40 seconds in video and slow down at 1/2 speed. shows the dust up from the curb rash. FSD taking turns at the tights I have seen in 3yrs of being in the FSD beta program. This is my first documented case of car damage. I supervise but this time it just went a little too close and I gave it to much leeway to correct and it did not and was too late to back out of the curb rash.

Also I was feeling somewhat invigorated when 12.1 came out and admit to a sense of added confidence in the software but it let me down in the end. 12.3.3 is the usual software update with regressions as has been the pattern for FSD updates in the past...

It gets old spending 10K on software with false promises that allows us the privilege of delivering thousands of dollars of damage to our cars.

It was good until it wasn't... same old FSD.
sorry see video attached at 39-40 seconds. slow to 1/2 speed

FSD 12.3.3 curb rash

Actually I don't get this part. Supposedly FSDs learns by watching millions upon millions of right hand turn videos to mimic an AI-generated precise route for the cirmstances.

How many of those videos curbed the wheels? Presumably none. So WHERE did it learn to do otherwise?

It followed a path which would be OK (starting out) for a Model 3 in California. Maybe other states have sharper turns or build their intersections somewhat differently, or the curbs look different in some as yet not understood way.

It's still a very small minority of turns and so from statistical point of view the net is successful---that isn't enough for a deployed product.

In the ML sense I think they lack enough negative contrastive examples: "Don't drive like this" "Do drive like that" in similar or identical locations.. Maybe that could be done by simulation (present proper paths as positive examples and improper wheel-curbing but otherwise similar paths as negative examples so it sharply understands the boundary between them) but that may make the system work properly only with simulated data as it can probably distinguish simulated from real images implicitly.

This is the problem with full "nothing but nets"---its quite difficult to find all the weird behaviors. Just like with people.

I see it missing the curb.
no, my friend. It hit the car hard and car shifted. You have to run video at 1/2 speed to see the dust-up and the car shift after scraping the curb. attached is the photo right after I came home and the dust and rim damage are visible..

Attachments

• IMG_5181.jpeg
    IMG_5181.jpeg
    473.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5180.jpeg
    IMG_5180.jpeg
    560.3 KB · Views: 7