Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD beta v12.3 pulls the ultimate April Fools joke

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately it was a sick joke... This is one of the few times I use FSD beta v12, and it does this. It was turning in at ~10 mph, I am unsure how the software is this incompetent (yes I am here to vent, if you are drinking the Tesla Kool-Aid, relax). I watch 'Black Tesla' on YouTube use FSD regularly, and he is always complaining that FSD can't judge the cars width correctly and that it curbed his rims, I now understand!

Sadly the damage looks worse in person!

rim2.jpg

rim1.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: EVNow
i feel ya, i cringe everytime my car is making a right hand turn. i often cancel the fsd when i feel like its gonna eat the curb. knock on wood it hasnt happened yet. this is on a big ass model s
Yeah, I just wish I had the feeling it was going to curb the car at the time. From the front it looked fine, then at the last moment really hugged the curb. Annoying to say the least!

I'm extra vigilant for this exact reason... if I even get the hint that it may curb a wheel (or hit a pothole/debris/etc) I disengage until after I pass the hazard and reengage FSD. Not taking a chance after seeing this happen to several users on here and twitter

I'm thrilled I won't have to see any more posts complaining "I let my wife take out the tesla and she curbed my wheel" and then all the jokes about divorcing her.

Somehow, no-one is making the claim folks with FSDb/S curbed wheels should divorce themselves either from either FSDb/S or tesla completely.

I'm thrilled I won't have to see any more posts complaining "I let my wife take out the tesla and she curbed my wheel" and then all the jokes about divorcing her.

Somehow, no-one is making the claim folks with FSDb/S curbed wheels should divorce themselves either from either FSDb/S or tesla completely.
Divorce? Nah. I just punish it by parking on the street for the night instead of inside the nice, warm garage. "You stay here tonight and think about what you did"

FSD is super stressful and my 2029 Model 3 also HUGS the curb when making turns... had to intervene a few times. Fun to try but NO WAY i would value this experience at $12k or a $$ monthly subscription. It is like watching a 16yr old drive or a 85 yr old grandma with cataracts...

I'd hate to have seen what prior versions were like.
All versions before this used hand-built heuristics. At best, they behaved like nervous teen drivers. They could handle only the simplest scenarios. In contrast, this version behaves like a 20-something who has been drinking a bit. The movements are sloppy, but the car keeps moving through much more complex scenarios. It is the sloppiness that has everyone so annoyed. Too much acceleration off a standing start, speed hunting, too close to curbs on turns, wobbles during lane changes, and so on. The thing is that the car completes the needed maneuvers, but it does so sloppily.

Because as of now this is nowhere near L3
It's actually surprisingly close. If they could strip away the sloppiness, they'd be there. The question is whether they can get there, and nobody knows that.

Once there, though, they may still not want to declare it L3 because of liability issues. I'm not sure that people care that much about autonomy yet, but if Tesla could ever declare FSD as an L3 system on controlled access highways, I think it's safe to say that people on road trips would subscribe to it in a heartbeat.

Unfortunately it was a sick joke... This is one of the few times I use FSD beta v12, and it does this. It was turning in at ~10 mph, I am unsure how the software is this incompetent (yes I am here to vent, if you are drinking the Tesla Kool-Aid, relax).
Training set problem. It was obvious from first glance this wasn't in California, which will be the majority of train set so far. In CA there very rarely are streets where the curb narrows in significantly right before the turn (or there would be lines painted for the parking spots or turns). System was probably judging right side from the long wider part without cars on it and the indent was unexpected. Not enough training to know where to turn vs this being a part of a crosswalk. Now that it's neural network planning, there is less of a "drivable area" prediction as an intermediate target and robotics rules to drive only on that. This is the downside of an all neural network system, you can't tell it general principles or build it in, you have to find many positive and negative train examples.

Probably if there had been cars parked on the right side it would have chosen a more appropriate route as they would have been sticking out further into the road.

In CA there very rarely are streets where the curb narrows in significantly right before the turn
Totally false. Happens all over the place in CA. So does wheel curbing by FSD, from what I read. No excuses for this.

I would ask Tesla to fix the wheel rash, just to log the complaint (not expecting them to actually fix it). They need to feel/share the pain.

Reactions: TSLA Pilot
Training set problem. It was obvious from first glance this wasn't in California, which will be the majority of train set so far. In CA there very rarely are streets where the curb narrows in significantly right before the turn (or there would be lines painted for the parking spots or turns). System was probably judging right side from the long wider part without cars on it and the indent was unexpected. Not enough training to know where to turn vs this being a part of a crosswalk. Now that it's neural network planning, there is less of a "drivable area" prediction as an intermediate target and robotics rules to drive only on that. This is the downside of an all neural network system, you can't tell it general principles or build it in, you have to find many positive and negative train examples.

Probably if there had been cars parked on the right side it would have chosen a more appropriate route as they would have been sticking out further into the road.
I kind of understand what you are getting at, but it isn't like this is stopping Tesla from selling FSD in Oregon, or any other state other than California. The curbs in Oregon aren't drastically different than the ones in California, and I would expect Full-Self driving to use its many cameras for obstacle avoidance, at all costs.

I also agree it would have done better if cars were parked on the side.