TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Argh! Autopark hit my powdercoated rim today!

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by rjdoc74, May 13, 2017.

1. rjdoc74

rjdoc74 Member

Title says it all. While auto-parking, I noticed that the car was turning too close to the curb. While straightening the front wheel, it hit the curb. Now I have a metallic shiny silver rash on my powdercoated black wheels. I didn't take pictures since I can't stand looking at it :( I will park myself from now on.

2. azred

azred Member

Never did believe the precision needed when parking next to a curb could possibly be good enough.

• Informative x 1
    • Funny x 1
  3. zackmilo

zackmilo No chrome for me!

Send pics. I just curbed mine yesterday!!

4. rjdoc74

rjdoc74 Member

I temporarily covered them with some black plastidip I had from before. I ordered sandpaper and touch up paint from Ebay.

5. David29

David29 Member

Something similar happened to me in my Model S a year or so ago. Right rear wheel rim scraped the curb. It seemed as if the curb was a nice, square granite curb that "should" have been high enough to be visible to the sensor, but maybe not. I have continued to use the feature since then, but not often, and it has missed the curb every time since then.

• Informative x 1
  6. Jimmy 1

Jimmy 1 Member

Google "alloy rim repair" in your area, there are usually mobile guys that do this for a living. Usually about $70-90/wheel.

• Informative x 1