Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Arizona - Phoenix and Tucson Corridor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wherever it is (the next Arizona Supercharger), they will need to break ground in the next couple of months if they are going to meet the end of year deadline.
I think we can take the whole Supercharger map with a grain of salt. It seems clear that Tesla is WAY behind schedule on building Superchargers in he US. It appears that Elon is focused on generating publicity with his latest and greatest idea that may boost the stock price. Just examine the hype over the European Supercharher map and his planned trip across the US with his kids. If Elon is going to do this anytime soon, he'll need to abort the current rollout of SCS and build them along the cross-continental route ahead of schedule.

And yes . . . a SCS in Gilbet would be a really dumb idea because it is too far off a major traffic artery and too close to too many MS owners who would fill up there rather than allow the facilitation of long distance travel.

Reading along... I think that Casa Grande AZ area is a more likely location than Gilbert AZ!!! Tesla wants to leapfrog over major metro cities/areas locating Superchargers along the well traveled route (U.S. 10) as a energy/rest stop . I'm in Gilbert and just can't imagine where they would locate a supercharger that would fit their historical rollout pattern!

Summer 2013 ends on the 21th... and if Port Orange Florida, Silverthorne Colorado, Columbus Texas, are on line by then {and I think they will be} then Tesla is AHEAD of schedule not behind?!?!... They gray dots on the old summer map show the sites that would be under construction.... and turn red as the supercharging station goes online. So, even as fall begins I see accuracy with the map. ....moving on to the end of fall 2013, on December 20th.... they have their work cut out for them... but doable! ..... even then, those of us who live in Phoenix Metro area will be yearning for a faster buildout as the potentially Buckeye, Gila Bend, Blythe, Indio CA, Beaumont CA, Imperial Valley locations still show gray.... not RED. It may not be until winter (the end of winter March 19th 2014 is still winter 2013!!!!) that our gray dots go red.

.. and yeah! It's kicking my butt! I want them ALL built yesterday!!!!! :wink:

I agree that Buckeye makes much more sense than Gilbert. For those of us with 60s, Blythe to the Phoenix area is just about max range -- especially in summer. Buckeye is ~120 miles from Blythe, and evtripper estimates a 60 would use 52.3 kWh in 110 degree weather and driving with the flow of traffic (~83 on I-10). And we couldn't make it to our house in North Scottsdale if taking I-10 to the 101 (we might be able to make it by taking US 60 through Wickenburg...)

Reading along... I think that Casa Grande AZ area is a more likely location than Gilbert AZ!!! Tesla wants to leapfrog over major metro cities/areas locating Superchargers along the well traveled route (U.S. 10) as a energy/rest stop . I'm in Gilbert and just can't imagine where they would locate a supercharger that would fit their historical rollout pattern!

Casa Grande already has a dot on the map (approx the I-8 / I-10 interchange).

On a side note, "U.S. 10" is a different highway -- goes from North Dakota to Michigan (interrupted by Lake Michigan...). I-10 is in AZ :wink:

I agree that Buckeye makes much more sense than Gilbert. For those of us with 60s, Blythe to the Phoenix area is just about max range -- especially in summer. Buckeye is ~120 miles from Blythe, and evtripper estimates a 60 would use 52.3 kWh in 110 degree weather and driving with the flow of traffic (~83 on I-10).

Just to cause trouble, knowing no one on this forum wants to hear it, it is possible that you could easily increase your range (sometimes that might be important, who knows?) by slowing down! The 85 actually gets 300 miles range, in the summer, with air on, going 62 mph. Go faster, lose range. It's that simple. If getting there is important, you might let the thought linger that even in a 60 you can make it from Blythe to Phoenix with ease. If. You. Slow. Down.

Yeah, I hear ya, "I didn't spend $100,000 on a car to do x (60, 65, 70, your choice) miles per hour. But sometimes, it's necessary. Like spending time at a charging station.

Heard recently that the new Scottsdale Service Center will be located in the Scottsdale Airpark and that they had to fill in a swimming pool to built the facility. I was aware of a scuba shop that was located in the airpark and went to investigate. Looks like somebody is doing demo work on three units with a storefront on one side and three huge roll-up doors on the back of the property on the northeast corner of Raintree & Hayden. Looks like we'll have a permanent service center within a month or two.

Just to cause trouble, knowing no one on this forum wants to hear it, it is possible that you could easily increase your range (sometimes that might be important, who knows?) by slowing down! The 85 actually gets 300 miles range, in the summer, with air on, going 62 mph. Go faster, lose range. It's that simple. If getting there is important, you might let the thought linger that even in a 60 you can make it from Blythe to Phoenix with ease. If. You. Slow. Down.

Yeah, I hear ya, "I didn't spend $100,000 on a car to do x (60, 65, 70, your choice) miles per hour. But sometimes, it's necessary. Like spending time at a charging station.

This isn't a debate on speed. But where the SC should be located in the Phoenix area.

Just some thoughts in response:

1) Blythe to the west-side of the Phoenix area (i.e. Buckeye) is ~120 miles -- petty close to Tesla's target distance between SuperChargers (the Tejon Ranch and Harris Ranch SCs on I-5 are 116 miles apart for example).
2) Traffic on I-10 in Western AZ typically moves at 80-85MPH. I strongly believe that the safest driving is at the flow of traffic -- minimizes the speed differential. Sure, I could drive slower. But without an SC in Buckeye, evtripper.com shows I'd have to drive 25% below the speed limit in order to get from Blythe to my house. That means going 56MPH on I-10 -- nearly 30 MPH slower than other traffic. That is dangerous.
3) Summers in AZ are a bit hotter than most places. I took delivery of my car on June 4, and living in AZ, I've been able to get a pretty good gauge on the extra energy use to cool the car and battery. My take on it is that the AC system is very efficient -- but if the temps are ~110 or higher, there is a noticeable impact on range. Below mid 90s, you hardly notice any impact on range from cooling the car. From the mid 90s to upper 100s, you do notice a bit of a drop when the compressor is running at high speed and the fan is all the way up, but once the interior is cooled down, you no longer notice the drop in range (and this is where pre-cooling can be helpful, but that's not really an option on road trips).
4) My Tesla did not cost $100k -- it was significantly under that. Its also not an 85 -- notice the 2nd sentence in my post, as it mentioned "for those of us with 60s..."

Last edited:
Having just done the PHX-LA-PHX roundtrip in a rental, I was thinking about where the SCs would work best. Some combo of: Buckeye, Quartzite, Blythe, Indio/Palm Springs/Cabazon Outlets, with Quartzite being the least needed, and Cabazon outlets being a no brainer IMO. So, with Buckeye, Blythe, Cabazon, even in a 60, going mostly/almost traffic flow and summer temps should cover it. (And there's the Tesla HPWC at Chiriaco Summit if you really needed a few spare kwh's.)

C'mon Tesla! With 2 little girls, I'm sure I'll be going to Disneyland often. I don't want to have to rent another ICE!

I'll admit to a gross lack of statistical information, but it appears to me that the top destinations for Arizonans probably includes San Diego, Los Angeles, and Las Vegas. If this is true, Yuma, Blythe, and Kingman ought to be very high on the list of Supercharger priorities. Sorry to see that my thinking about Kingman isn't reflected on the Winter 2013 SCS list.

I'll admit to a gross lack of statistical information, but it appears to me that the top destinations for Arizonans probably includes San Diego, Los Angeles, and Las Vegas. If this is true, Yuma, Blythe, and Kingman ought to be very high on the list of Supercharger priorities. Sorry to see that my thinking about Kingman isn't reflected on the Winter 2013 SCS list.

I agree that the top destinations would be LA, San Diego, Las Vegas and Flagstaf from Phoenix and from Tucson. I would also see a ski destination like Show Low as an option. Further driving routes could be from Flagstaff towards CO and NM.

Anyone going to National Plug in Day on Sept 28 in Scottsdale? I am registered and so far only see 5 Model S. hope to see some of you there!!

Day: Saturday, September 28th, 2013
Time: 3 PM to dark
9175 E Indian Bend Rd · Scottsdale
Scottsdale, AZ, United States