Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Arizonians, did you get plates for next 5 years?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picking up my Model 3 next week. My registration balance shows $150. I assume this is only for one year. I want 5 years and custom license plate. My delivery advisor is too busy right now. Wondering if someone can shed some light on this. I assume I will be able to make this changes during delivery. If not, please let me know. Thanks!

Picking up my Model 3 next week. My registration balance shows $150. I assume this is only for one year. I want 5 years and custom license plate. My delivery advisor is too busy right now. Wondering if someone can shed some light on this. I assume I will be able to make this changes during delivery. If not, please let me know. Thanks!

Yes, $150 covers HOV plates for 5 years!

I did my Model S for 5 years back in 2013. I figured it locked in reduced tax (just in case the law was ever changed), as well as the HOV plates.

We moved out of AZ with just over a year remaining on the plates, and I didn’t even worry about requesting a refund for the unused portion (which was worth $30...)

Now I live in OH, and just got my Model 3. It’s only registered until Dec — one year registration here tied to your birthday,,, oh well.

And you need to lock in the 5 years in Arizona before the end of the year because a Mesa GOP legislator (Worsley) put a proposal to GOP governor Duce to write into law a registration fee equal to ICE. Duce signed it into law and it begins in January 2019. Be prepared for thousands of dollars per year. So much for getting a deserved break for helping with the pollution problem etc...

And you need to lock in the 5 years in Arizona before the end of the year because a Mesa GOP legislator (Worsley) put a proposal to GOP governor Duce to write into law a registration fee equal to ICE. Duce signed it into law and it begins in January 2019. Be prepared for thousands of dollars per year. So much for getting a deserved break for helping with the pollution problem etc...
Worley decided not to run again for the Legislature a couple months after finally succeeding on his crusade. Ironically I think he owns an electric car and supposedly felt guilty! But I’ll bet he still takes all of the lobbyist handouts.

Carpool lane access will be next on the chopping block as electric car sales grow but that has always been likely based on fed law. A key question is whether they ban all single occupant cars or just stop issuing blue plates like they did a few years ago for hybrids. Under current law hybrid owners who had secured a blue plate can move it to a new hybrid so fingers crossed the same policy will happen to those of us with electric cars when the door closes.

Last edited: