Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Arrgghh - it finally happened - Advice for minor incident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, I know this is minor, but my 2017 100d's perfect finish is finally ruined by some inconsiderate driver who hit my car in the parking lot, likely when pulling out next to me.

Most of the damage is "buffable" except for right on the fender edge, where a chunk of paint has been removed, down to the metal.

Do I really need a "Tesla certified shop" for this? I think my insurance collision deductible is $1000, so not sure that it is worth using that.

I am wondering if given how small the removed paint is, if it is worth doing a feathered in paint on that spot vs. repainting the entire bottom clip.

Advice?

I had the same thing happen to my MS. Basically four options:
1. $ - use the touch up paint and fix it your self. It's the worst option and but doesn't look too bad.
2. $ - get a detailer to mix some custom paint and fix it. (this is what I did)
3. $$ - Blend the paint - It's an option and not sure how it will work out. The issue is when you sell the car it's far worse to indicate paint blend damage. If someone explained they "blended the bumper" what's your reaction?
4. $$$ - repaint the entire bumper. Yes it looks great. Yes it's going to be expensive. But resale, people have an interesting reaction to a whole part painted. Expect to lose resale.

Basically my damage was very close to the same size, and the detailer asked me what's more important, looking good or resale? If you fix it properly, it may cost you more in resale than if you just use a professional to touch it up. I'll grab a picture. I did the #2 repair and put Xpel over it to protect the entire front of the car.

Not saying this is right, just my two cents. I didn't have access to a paint pen, however my detailer indicated metallic paint touch ups pens rarely contain the metallic portion of the paint. Love to hear other opinions.

On another note -- I once bought a BMW X5 from the US. Pictures were awesome. Two years later the clear coat started to peel on the drivers door. I found out that it was poorly repainted, and that this was not a BMW issue. They pointed out the factory orange peel look of the paint vs. the repainted part.. The vendor never disclosed the repainted part, otherwise I would have asked for discount. This is why I feel repainting is a concern, it might look great at the time, but it might not stand up as well as factory paint.

Reactions: timvracer