Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Articles/megaposts by DaveT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Question boils down to:
- does LG have enough capital source
- will LG have the confidence to invest such big numbers after they got burned once already?

I don't think these are HUGE issues. Remember we are talking about capitalism here, if there is money to be made, supply will come. In fact this was precisely the argument (we bulls made) in favor of Tesla when bears kept saying where will Tesla get money to build all these things.

Remember GM has $150 Billion revenue+. Their R&D expense alone last year was a whopping $7.5 Billion. If GM sees enough money to be made in EVs, why would they not commit more capital or partner up with LG Chem?

The crux of our disagreement Dave is that you want to value Tesla the same as the auto industry that is growing at best 10% in good years and I want to value Tesla on a growth rate of 50% per year if it achieves a successful Model 3 ramp to 500K cars in 2019. I think I've shown that across multiple industries with different capital requirements and gross margin/profit potential that $10B+ companies growing 25%-50% per year are afforded much higher multiples of both sales and earnings than their slower growing competitors. The leading companies in each of those industries have P/S ratios of 3-14. Yet you expect the market to place a P/S ratio of 1 or less on Tesla even after it achieves unprecedented growth. So we will have to agree to disagree.

I also not sure i agree with Dave's point of analysts penalizing Tesla because the auto industry might enter long term decline. Wont many analysts also break down the trend of ICE auto sector in long term decline while the EV market is set to see decades of significant worldwide growth?

Reactions: Gerardf
I also not sure i agree with Dave's point of analysts penalizing Tesla because the auto industry might enter long term decline. Wont many analysts also break down the trend of ICE auto sector in long term decline while the EV market is set to see decades of significant worldwide growth?

Yes - there might be a smaller pie but Tesla's slice will soon be (much) larger.

This whole 'other battery producers aren't far behind' line of reasoning I still don't see. Panasonic has already built the foundation to bring 10+ GWh a year of cell capacity online each year for the next several years, and Panasonic is saying it is still concerned it wont be able to meet demand. So if other autos are going to compete with tesla soon where are their 10+ GWh of additional production capacity being set up to come online annually in the next 1-5 years? I asked Dave this and he linked me to some articles about LG and others setting up plans to expand some of their current factories essentially in smaller 1 GWh increments at this or that plant over the next few years. It just seems like a totally different ballpark. Maybe all these up and coming EV competition will be like the bolt. As in -- The bolt is set to take on and compete with the model 3*.

*Max output of 30k cars a year.

It seems like the other big autos want to enter EV volume gradually. So even if the bolt is a huge hit in 2017 they only sell 30k, in 18' maybe they aim for 50k, if it is still in further demand maybe they up it another 20k in 19'. The problem is what happens if the model 3 is a huge hit cranking out 100's of thousands?

Last edited:
Reactions: WarpedOne
Panasonic just recently announced it is worried about being supply constrained because of Tesla demand and that is with the gigafactory. Is Panasonic concurrently building a gigafactory for other autos I'm not aware of?

That's on the 2170 form factor. Elon basically tripled capacity expectations on those overnight. For the 18650 form factor lines Panasonic will have a lot of spare capacity soon. And it is in the process of buying Nissans battery production plant IIRC.

Can Panasonic sell 2170 to other customers? Or, is it prohibited because of joint development with Tesla?

No idea. But I know of no auto manufacturer who has indicated they will move to the 2170. If it happens to be the best format, I am sure it will eventually happen. But with the glacial pace all non-Tesla manufacturers move on the EV front, Panasonic should have enough time to anticipate the market.

• Informative
Reactions: TMSE
That's on the 2170 form factor. Elon basically tripled capacity expectations on those overnight. For the 18650 form factor lines Panasonic will have a lot of spare capacity soon. And it is in the process of buying Nissans battery production plant IIRC.

So you think MS/MX are going 2170 soon? Have other autos shown interest in using 18650s? In the past we have seen comments from other autos sort of disparaging the use of 1000's of 18650s per pack.

I'll pose a question here.. what is the ONE thing that will drive Trump as President? Meaning, what's the overall, guiding value or philosophy that drove Trump to run for President, that drove his campaign, and that will fuel his Presidency? Or perhaps the guiding value/philosophy is going to be different during his Presidency than his campaign. Regardless, what is that overall guiding value/philosophy/paradigm going to be?

Now I don't want a bunch of answers from folks that haven't done their homework. So, if you don't know Trump extremely well (ie., have listened to at least a few dozen hours of his speeches/interviews/etc and read his books on politics, etc), then please refrain from posting because I don't want this to be another political waste-of-time discussion. Rather, I'm asking for what the core of Trump will be as President, from those who have thought deeply about it and have substantive thoughts regarding it.

If I get some substantive answers, I'll post the second question.

First and foremost, thank you very much for trying to bringing a structure to this discussion. It is very much needed.

In regard to Trump, there are two distinct but somewhat overlapping things. One is personality, the other is, as you put it, "guiding value" or "philosophy".

Unfortunately much of the media and pundits have focused on the personality but not so much on Trump's value system. So many people are left with the egomaniac impression (including myself). But far too people seem to fully comprehend his value system.

From my initial research, if we were to summarize his entire value system in ONE word, it would be - NATIONALISM.

In Trump's view, consistently over 4 decades, he firmly believed that America has been doing bad deals every which way. He waited for far too long to see some competent leaders in Washington to rise up and fix this. But disappointingly no one did. Neither democrats did nor republicans did. Ultimately he had to take matters into his hand (or at-least give the cause enough of a voice).

Trump's nationalism or his frustration with Washington politicians is hard to fully present in a few sentences or paragraphs. Maybe I can drive home the point through a metaphor.

Lets imagine America to be an individual, as opposed to a country. Now there are 195 such individuals. All the individuals live in a club doing numerous deals all the time. The individual-named-America is very hard working and high achieving. Nevertheless he has this issue of always doing poor deals, always getting the short end of the stick. All the others are outright duping this guy constantly. All these poor deals are adding up. The net result is showing up in ever increasing debt.

Now imagine if this individual is your son. A guy with 195 other guys in a club. Working very hard and making money. But always getting duped and outright cheated in the club. The guy’s debt is ever growing to a point it's not sustainable. Maybe he will end up declaring bankruptcy soon.

Being a father how would you feel? Infuriated? Have a strong urge to do something about it?

That is exactly how Trump feels.

If you think in terms of a country or national debt or such, everything becomes abstract. But think of it as individuals. Maybe you will get a sense of it.

Trump has issues with many of these other nations. In his mind:
- China dupes America through currency manipulation
- Japan dupes America by dumping all sorts of their exports, cars, electronics etc. Yet while making it very difficult for Americans to do business in Japan.
- Mexico dupes America by dumping all their people in American borders illegally
- NATO members dupe America into spending for their security but not pay for it
- Individuals under ISIS or Radical Islam try to outright murder our people
There are many such bad nations that are abusing America.

No Washington politician did anything about it. All the politicians cared about was for their lobbyists. Who in turn cared for their sponsors. Who in turn only cared about their narrow self-interests... No one cared about the country or it's direction. All the while the national debt, the best barometer, is showing unsustainably high, outright suicidal numbers.

He ran to be the president to fix this. Even if he didn't believe he would win, this cause would get enough attention was his hope. If he were to win and drive the country out of all these horrific deals, the overall country will prosper, the economy will be stimulated from within, ALL americans will prosper. Such is his thinking.

PS: I was very anti-Trump until I started trying to find an answer to your question by the way.

PPS: If you believe I arrived at the right answer, I would love to know your next question.

Last edited:
Trump has issues with many of these other nations. In his mind:
- China dupes America through currency manipulation
- Japan dupes America by dumping all sorts of their exports, cars, electronics etc. Yet while making it very difficult for Americans to do business in Japan.
- Mexico dupes America by dumping all their people in American borders illegally
- NATO members dupe America into spending for their security but not pay for it
- Individuals under ISIS or Radical Islam try to outright murder our people
There are many such bad nations that are abusing America.

No Washington politician did anything about it. All the politicians cared about was for their lobbyists. Who in turn cared for their sponsors. Who in turn only cared about their narrow self-interests... No one cared about the country or it's direction. All the while the national debt, the best barometer, is showing unsustainably high, outright suicidal numbers.

As far as I know, you are spot on. Trump has been remarkably consistent. See footage from 1987 at 59:00 in the following film...

The Choice 2016

The film seemed woefully biased against Trump, but they had some great research. Here is another video from 1988 on Oprah. Basically, the 2016 stump speech.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: RobsJester
I found some time this afternoon so I'm going back to reply to some of the posts in this thread. I'm encouraged by the quality of discussion! Hope we can keep it up.

Same is true with Apple iPhone. Apple simply outsourced all their stuff. Every year we hear iPhone killers but never really happen.

Tesla competitive advantage is simply they move fast:
- Autopilot fatality led them to Tesla Vision
- Long distance travels issue led them to Supercharger Program
- First EV to have over 300 miles EPA
- Fastest production car you can buy P100D
- Factory production bottleneck leads them to Alien Dreadnought program
- and many more... you get the point.
- and yes to your point, once they reach battery bottleneck, they will probably come up with something better like.. supercapacitors.

Sure everything can be copied, but Tesla moves fast, they have a product-focused CEO. Co-founders Ewon and JB still very much involved. I think that's tesla competitive advantage.

Here is another thing. If Tesla failed, Ewon can kiss goodbye to his Mars dream. He said it himself that he is accumulating assets for Mars dream, and you can imply he meant Tesla. So he will definitely fight for Tesla.

Plus they got an Academy Award Best Actor Leo to help evangelize the importance of sustainable energy future ;)

@viKtor slamet I largely agree with your assessment about Tesla's ability to move fast. I think this is related to what I mentioned earlier about complex coordination... Tesla is able to move fast and innovate across multiple areas. And I think this is probably one of the most solid parts of the bull argument for TSLA. However, on the other hand, moving fast is good but it still doesn't preclude another company from moving as fast. Further, in the world of auto manufacturing sometimes moving fast isn't good (increases liability) and sometimes it might be ok to move a bit slow (ie., Toyota is slow getting into EVs but still they're doing fine). The transition to EVs appears like it's going to time (ie., meaning it's not going happen all in a few years), so other companies still have time. For example, just because Toyota has been slow to the EV party doesn't mean that I'm counting out Toyota and expect them to go bankrupt any time soon. They still have ample opportunity to catch the EV growth phase and implement their own EV program that can be successful.

But all that said, yes I think it's going to be difficult for other companies to catch Tesla. That's a big reason I'm long. But, I also realize that Tesla needs to materialize this into more concrete competitive advantages or truly defensible moats. Just having scale in producing batteries... I'm not sure if that's really a defensible moat. Even autonomous driving, I'm not sure if that's going to be a true moat or not. It could be, but I'm not convinced of it right now. I think probably the most defensible moat might be a true breakthrough in energy storage. I know JB and Elon talk often how a breakthrough in energy storage isn't required, but that doesn't mean that they're not interested in it. Remember, Elon's Ph.D was supposed to be in supercapacitors, and he's even talked bullishly about the possibility and potential of supercapacitors after he started Tesla. But again, this is a long-term issue in many ways. However, Tesla could start making some headway into this with the Gigafactory if they can implement the latest battery tech innovation as quickly as possible. But the key to a defensible moat is that Tesla needs to have something that's not easily copied. At this moment, a lot of what Tesla has can be copied.

Another possible competitive advantage (and possibly defensible moat) is brand. Tesla has captured the imagination and fascination of a lot of young people (as evidenced by Model 3 reservations). However, I think we're likely to see demand for Tesla products even higher than most realize or expect, because I think Tesla has made a lot of smart moves to create a brand that people admire, respect and want to be part of. I can go more into this later, if folks want to hear.

Lastly, regarding your iPhone comment... actually Apple has a really unique approach to manufacturing the iPhone and their products. It's not simply an outsourcing path. Rather, Apple is deeply and intimately involved in the manufacturing, so much to the point that some/many suppliers of Apple act almost like a subsidiary of Apple in some ways. Apple might even invest money into key suppliers to lock up supply and they make sure they have strict milestones and guidelines... almost to the point where Apple is overseeing a lot of the manufacturing very up close.

All good points. I agree Tesla doesn't have a deep moat in any of the points you raised here. But, collectively, it's hard to beat Tesla on every one of them, and thus Tesla has the advantage. For example, new startups focusing on EVs might be close on the drivetrain, but they lack the resource to build the supercharger network or get a competitive price on battery. Big OEMs may have the power to lay out a supercharger network and get a low price on battery, but their development in drivetrain may not go that well due to internal inertia. Tesla doesn't need to keep its #1 place in all these areas to be #1 in EV. As long as Tesla is in tier 1 in all areas and no one else is enjoying a similar position, Tesla would be fine. As we see Tesla keeps its leadership position in all these areas, leaving trails for different companies to catch up, that itself is one of the biggest advantage.

And yeh, the vertical integration stuff as well.

I am doubtful about the supercapcitators stuff though. As far as I know, supercapacitors have much lower specific energy than li-ion batteries in exchange for much higher power output. So yes, you can charge much faster, like <5 min to 100% provided the charger can take that much current and not burn down. But you get much shorter range for the same weight of the car. If we're talking about a rather general breakthrough in energy storage technology, then anything is welcomed of course.

@Fallenone Yes, I definitely agree with your point about Tesla leading in many areas and that being an advantage. My hope and expectation is for Tesla to increase their lead in some of these areas as to make a few of these areas into true defensible moats. I think battery tech and innovation would be where I'd guess it happens. It also could happen with the "machine that builds the machine".

Regarding supercapacitors, if Tesla can get a breakthrough with this I foresee them slowly implementing a combo of battery + supercapacitor. For example, initially it's a 100kWh battery but extra supercapacitor that can be charged in 2-3 minutes but get you 15 miles of range. Then, incrementally Tesla can increase the capacity of the supercapacitors. Personally, I think having supercapacitors (in addition to a big battery) that can give 50 miles of range with a 2 minute charge would solve a lot of the long-distance challenges that EVs currently face.

• Disagree
Reactions: hiroshiy
This is a lot closer to how I see Tesla's competitive advantage as well. More generally, regardless of one's industry, if your competitive advantage is primarily in terms of something technical, then your competitive advantage will be fleeting as technical stuff can be copied and superseded.

Real competitive advantage comes from the culture of innovation, adaptation, and speed around evolving the technology and product.

When I look at Tesla, I don't see a competitive company because they're the only car maker that is good at building electric car. I see the only company that approaches the whole industry from a software paradigm. This not only meaning that Tesla is learning from its users and the industry, but also incorporating those learnings back into their product constantly. Not once or twice per model year, and not only into newly built vehicles, but into all vehicles (firmware updates) as well as constant production line changes for newly built cars.

Cycle time and feedback swallows scale in the modern economy, and I don't see anybody in the car industry competing with Tesla in this paradigm.

Uber has the challenge before it of figuring out how to incorporate hardware into their software paradigm. I'd bet on Uber figuring that out over any of the existing car makers figuring out how to transition to a software paradigm, though I think it's more likely Uber and Tesla find a good way to coexist, than that one "kills" the other competitively (one more focused on network for ride sharing, and one more focused on building hardware -- both working from a software and learning paradigm).

The list of technical advantages that you listed @DaveT are all, to me, current manifestations of Tesla's actual competitive advantage. Those are important. More important is whether we believe Tesla behaves in a fashion that will lead to it creating new technical competitive advantages, and whether that will happen faster or slower than other companies create technical advances to close the gap.

@adiggs I definitely agree that real competitive advantage comes from the culture of innovation, etc... and that it must improve the product and technology. I also think though there are certain times when your company/culture/team/people are able to invent something truly revolutionary and that product becomes a moat in itself. One example is SpaceX's vertical take-off and landing rockets. Before that, yes SpaceX had a competitive advantage of sorts due to their efficiency and costs (which were driven through constant and ruthless innovation). However, after SpaceX was able to land their boosters, that became a true step-change for the rocket industry and separated SpaceX even further.

I think with Tesla I see a lot of competitive advantages of sorts, but I'm still looking for that step-change sort of defensible moat in terms of product. My guess/expectation is that we will see it and it could be a combination a multiple things put together or it could be something more singular.

Regarding Über vs Tesla, I'm starting to think more and more that both will likely find a way to co-exist. Perhaps Uber is #1 and Tesla #2. Or Tesla #1 and Uber #2. And it might look very different according to country and region. I think autonomous driving might provide a way "in" for Tesla to acquire market share and establish their network. But Tesla won't have a monopoly on autonomous driving tech (at least not for very long), and I see transportation as a service for people to be a market that probably will trend toward commoditization. But since the market is so vast and huge, it still will be lucrative for the top players.

@Fallenone Yes, I definitely agree with your point about Tesla leading in many areas and that being an advantage. My hope and expectation is for Tesla to increase their lead in some of these areas as to make a few of these areas into true defensible moats. I think battery tech and innovation would be where I'd guess it happens. It also could happen with the "machine that builds the machine".

Regarding supercapacitors, if Tesla can get a breakthrough with this I foresee them slowly implementing a combo of battery + supercapacitor. For example, initially it's a 100kWh battery but extra supercapacitor that can be charged in 2-3 minutes but get you 15 miles of range. Then, incrementally Tesla can increase the capacity of the supercapacitors. Personally, I think having supercapacitors (in addition to a big battery) that can give 50 miles of range with a 2 minute charge would solve a lot of the long-distance challenges that EVs currently face.
I'm no electrical engineer so I don't know how feasible (cost, overall performance, maintenance, etc.) of doing a combo of battery and supercapacitor will be. I think in theory it is a good idea and I think Tesla is doing something like this. Not supercapacitor but using more graphene in some of the battery. This type of battery has shorter life in terms of recharging but higher energy density. They could be used as reserve for the last 50 miles, which would be rather rarely used normally and spared from the frequent recharging. I think I read somewhere JB confirming the use of graphene but not 100% sure.

Dave, I love your contribution to this forum. I wonder though if you might be missing out on the biggest long-term strategic advantage for Tesla: network effects. In tech companies generally, those that have achieved high profitability have done so through network effects. Microsoft, and its common standards of Windows, Word, etc, that forced everyone to buy Microsoft because everyone else was. eBay, where buyers went to where the sellers were and vice versa.

For Tesla, there are a couple of real possibilities here. First off the supercharger network. It's true that in principle another company or companies can duplicate. But on any scenario, this will take a year or two to roll out. So if you imagine any individual EV buyer in say 2019 looking at choices, even if the vehicles themselves had identical specs, Tesla's is going to be more appealing because of supercharging immediately available. So they gain marketshare, thereby funding a more rapid roll-out of supercharging and likely increasing Tesla's lead. It would take a truly massive commitment by competitors to catch up. Maybe they will... but the history of entrenched competitors against disruptivre newcomers suggests otherwise.

Secondly, giga-factory manufacturing. Let's say that, as seems highly likely, in 2019, this is giving Tesla a genuine cost-advantage. Then again, that will drive greater sales and greater profits Tesla's way and fund further giga-factory expansion and allow them to command ever lower prices from suppliers. Someone looking to catch up with their 2+ year lead will likely have to risk spending and executing at a rate 2x Tesla has. It's possible, but would take amazing courage. They're more likely to look for alternative technologies. Plus, by incorporating energy as a business, Tesla can achieve much greater scale than anyone focused purely on autos. The cost-savings driven by millions of residential batteries will allow them to deliver the world's most cost-efficient electric cars. No other auto company will adopt this same strategy. Instead they'll rely on the likes of LG Chem... which means they have a commodity product shared by many others, except Tesla. The main vulnerability here is that a new technology emerges which the gigafactories can't switch to... but in the foreseeable future there's going to be a beautiful network effect running to Tesla's advantage.

Third, autopilot map-building. The genius of Tesla's roll-out of AP2, combined w its OTA capability means that will have a huge lead over anyone else in mapping the world in language that car's computer brains can understand. So even if someone else matches their AP software and hardware, a buyer will prefer the car that is adding new functionality more quickly -- because it safely can. Tesla's hundreds of thousands of Model 3s will be a vast multi-limbed octopus exploring every nook cranny of planet earth and turning it into radar and video data that train its brain to achieve super-powers simply unavailable to other cars. It's like two babies born, one in Boston, one in a remote village. They have the same IQ. But the one exposed to knowledge has all the opportunities and becomes much more accomplished. Life is unfair.

And finally, there's the ultimate network-effect of the combination of the above. When Elon says he's obsessed with building the machine that builds the machine, he's not just talking about the gigafactory or the alien dreadnought. He's talking about the entire eco-system that integrates gorgeous aesthetic design, with cost-efficient manufacturing, with world-beating software development, with high-speed data accumulation, with a vast and growing supercharging network, with low-cost energy storage, with ingenious financial modeling, and last but not least, an intuitive instinct about what will truly excite customers. It's that whole SYSTEM that is the ultimate competitive advantage. Every part feeds every other part. You might be able take on bits of it, but I don't see anyone replicating the entire system. And by the time they did, Tesla would have moved on, for example by leveraging all the above into a potentially Uber-beating service.

Elon's genius is that he can see how all these parts fit together to create something extraordinary. Something which organizes matter in a way that can thrill, delight and create value. He has a similar incredible eco-system building at SpaceX. It's this superpower of his that give me confidence the SolarCity merger can work. I really think we're witnessing the teenage years of what will become the world's most valuable company.

@RationalOptimist I think you've got some really great points here and good food for thought. I wonder though if "network effects" is the right concept or not. To me, network effects is when adding an additional user adds value to the whole network. I can understand this with Ebay (increase a buyer or seller, and the whole network benefits). However, with Tesla I'm not sure if it's that clear when one more person buys a Tesla that the whole network benefits (as in right away). I think it's more indirect in the sense that if one more person buys a Tesla, then Tesla has more money to invest into charging tech and infrastructure, R&D, updates, refinements, etc.

But I think the crux of your point (and correct me if I'm wrong) is that with more people buying Teslas this will improve the overall Tesla experience, because with increased scale (from buyers) Tesla will be able to improve on all faucets of the customer experience (vehicle, AP, charging, service, costs, etc). So, what we see of Tesla right now will only improve as Tesla grows and has more money to spend. I can go along with this argument. If Tesla has achieved such great cars, great service and charging network with this many buyers, imagine what Tesla will be able to achieve when they have 10x the buyers and 5x the revenue. Yes, it's definitely bullish.

Wrt LG plant in Poland, it is often hard to cut through the various vague capacity references. What exactly is 100,000 EVs of 200 mile range? After following quite a few LG news stories and press releases, cross indexing the various capacities, I'm thinking this:

Poland is basically a replica of Ochang, SK. That was nominally 3.2 GWh, but with cell density improvements, somewhere around 4GWh.

The #1 customer of the Polish plant is Renault with the new 40 kWh Zoe. The new plant starts to provide cells and battery packs in 2019. It is not clear at all that the $339.4 million investment is all that is necessary to achieve the top line capacity statement. There's a lot of room in the way the various statements are given. Note that LG's Michigan plant cost $300 million for about 0.8 GWh of cell production. Panasonic spent $1.1 billion for 7 GWh of production in Osaka.

That gives LG basically in 2019, 4 GWH in Ochang, SK, reaching for 1.5-2 GWh in Holland, MI, between 2 and 4 GWh in Nanjing, depending on timing of stretch goals, and 4 GWh in Poland. So the 2019 capacity given the plants as planned thus far stretching to 14 GWh. That's less the the first phase of the Tesla Gigafactory. By 2019, Tesla likely will have at least two phases complete if not 3... so 40-60 GWh of capacity.

The problem for GM is that the output of the Polish plant is likely already spoken for by VW + Group and Renault. The Nanjing plant's output is also likely completely spoken for by Chinese manufacturers. It's down to Ochang and Holland. In the near term, that's about 4 GWh total. But that includes cells for the Hyundia Ioniq and various hybrids, all of Ford's EVs, the new FCA PHEV minivan, the Chevy Volt, and the Bolt. 30,000 Bolts = 1.8 GWh. I can see them hitting 40-50,000. Beyond that... they'll have commission a new plant. That will take 2-3 years.

How do you see and value SCTY in this mix? I know you're talking about now, but with the merger coming up fast, how would you add or subtract SCTY to this equation?
@GoTslaGo I was originally just focusing on Tesla auto manufacturing just so that it's isolated for a better valuation approach. But with SCTY, I think it's probably best to value it along with Tesla Energy. Meaning, I think over time the profits from Tesla Energy (ie., storage) will offset any potential negative financial impact from SCTY. However, I do think the acquisition will pose some challenges next year as the two companies merge. Elon is being optimistic is some of his projections, it seems, and if you lower your expectations some then it's possible SCTY is somewhat of a cash drain (and also focus drain) for Tesla and Elon next year. But, next year is when Tesla Energy starts to ramp due to Gigafactory production starting soon. So, as long as Tesla energy storage can ramp aggressively I think it can distract investors from the complications of the merger that Tesla might face.

Overall though, to give an estimated valuation on Tesla Energy in 2020, I'd have to look at the numbers more in detail. But you could do that. Just take Tesla's energy storage projections (adjust for Tesla time) and forecast what Tesla's revenue for energy storage might be in 2020. I'd then take a 10% net profit margin number and multiply that with 2020 revenue. You'll get net profit. And then you'll need to assign a P/E multiple to that. To be conservative, I'd give it a 10 P/E multiple. Of course you could try to give it a higher number (i.e, 15 or maybe even 20, but that might be pushing it considering batteries are a fairly low-tech, low-margin, commodity business). A lot of what the actual multiple turns out to be will be determined on market sentiment at that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.