Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Articles/megaposts by DaveT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One has to remember, that Dreadnought at the moment is Elon's goal. There is no Dreadnought at the moment. It may or may not materialize.
Yes there is and it has.

GF has 3x the output as compared to the original plan. Cars are more complex to make so the potential improvements are greater, but take longer to manifest.

If you don't believe that watch the MS-MX production over the next few quarters. In the Peter Hochholdinger he talked positively about the concepts that Elon said are the main reasons for the Alien Dreadnought , but he said that the reason he was brought in was for logistics. He's an expert at logistics for large scale manufacturing.

I think it's fair to summarize what he said as Elon and the Tesla team have the production process nailed.

Clearly they don't have any experience in the logistics required for producing 500k cars per year. It's really encouraging that they brought in an expert in that!

Edit Addition:
I was referring to this interview:
If you guys haven't already, I strongly (very, very strongly) recommend reading the interview by Peter Hochholdinger (Tesla's new VP of vehicle manufacturing) in the Manufacturing Leadership Journal.

Manufacturing Leadership Journal - October 2016 - 10

Here's an excerpt (see below). If you take this thinking further, then Tesla is probably trying to look at every process in general assembly and asking how can we design the car so that this task can be automated easier. Fascinating stuff.

View attachment 202465

Last edited:
In case any haven't seen, Adam Jonas just released a note today dropping their TSLA price target by 1% to $242.

Of note (my emphasis):

"We continue to forecast a Model 3 launch at the very end of 2018 (more than 1 year later than company target) with 60k units in 2019 and 130k units in 2020."

Thus ...

$242 price target ASSUMING --

- Model 3 will be up to a year and a half LATE
- Model 3 will have a glacial ramp after launch
- ZERO value from SCTY
- ZERO value from Tesla Energy

They reiterated their Equal-Weight rating.

Some other posters have reached in provided sources that sum up to around 10GWh of LG's production capacity in a few years. This is *no* competition that could anyhow endanger Tesla's business in near future.
Nevertheless you repeatedly mention such dangers so you must have some additional data backing up your claims.

After all all these wall of texts of yours cannot be just hypocritical FUD as I am wrongly accusing your.
It is a simple request: please provide data that support your claims and shut me up in the right way. "please get off this thread and don't post here" must be listed on some logical fallacy list somewhere.
@warpedobe. Dave has provided plenty of data to back up his opinion of future outcomes. The future is uncertain, pointing that out is not fud. Make your own conclusions and accept others and let time sort it out.
I accept some have appeared on the forum without positive intent. DaveT is not one of those people. I appreciate honest discussion, but once it becomes personal debate quality goes down the drain.

The discussion of TSLA vs the rest of industry is interesting as you look out to 2020. Much depends on industry response. I think TSLA has a first mover advantage that will be tough to match without long term investments: negative impact to profit and cash flow.
TSLA status positions them in autos as Apple is in smartphones. TSLA has high margin products allowing them to invest a high percentage of revenue back into growth (research, mfg, sales, charging...). The Bolt, for instance, is a no profit compliance car that takes no significant market share from TSLA and gives the EV market free advertising and legitimacy. Audi/VW, they have plans. To be determined if they can build a good product at profit, if they deliver by 2020. If the TSLA network delivers by 2019, now TSLA can double margins and perhaps sell cars with no profit and make their money on TAAS. In this instance they could be apple and google android at the same time, making the high margin product and profiting from the products existence (mobile search makes android profitable for google but not handset mfrs).
The future for TE is less clear. Will others rush in, will an aggregator market energy as a service like TE is, like American Samoa) or will their integrated approach win the battle. In an industry seeing 20-30% annual productivity gains, I think the integrated approach has first mover advantages. Conglomerates often have lower productivity gains, but are steady gainers with solid financial and operational models allowing them to plan steady growth years out. TSLA is combining a conglomerate model with an entrepreneurial leader model, combining the advantages of vertical production and first mover status. Example is TE, using the storage market to fund/justify the GF for autos. Without TE are island micro grid solutions feasible? This is an example of TSLA having pricing advantage of integrated production, and selling into the early high margin market to fund more productivity down the road.
These virtuous circles tend to bring in competition, but I think it will be tough for short term American companies financially, not easy for German to compete against the Silicon Valley advantage and tough for china to compete on image. Value for the next year depends on thread primary drivers: free cash flow from combined model S/X production, ramp of TE (anything over 1bn), and model 3 timing (on time reveal, followed by 25,000-50,0000 3s in 2017.
If they do all of this they meet the Morgan requirements for 400 valuation by end of '17.

Writing on my phone, so apologies for not editing for clarity and grammar.

Reactions: Ovulation
The discussion of TSLA vs the rest of industry is interesting as you look out to 2020. Much depends on industry response. I think TSLA has a first mover advantage that will be tough to match without long term investments: negative impact to profit and cash flow.....
The future for TE is less clear. Will others rush in, ....Without TE are island micro grid solutions feasible? This is an example of TSLA having pricing advantage of integrated production,
please look at slide deck for Ta'u (Samoa) and Kauai (Hawaii) note pgs 31-34
Ta'u is 99.4% PV plus battery, Kauai has a 50/50 mix of hydro and PV and 60Mw battery Tesla/SCTY facility. (and ~1/3 of PV is resdential) BUT total (presently and grown is ~129+ megawatts of renewable energy
they are doers
http://www.ppa.org.fj/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/1530-Solar-City.pdf

Interesting interview w/Marc Andreesen.

Flying cars are closer than you think | Verge 2021

"The big constraint on all of this stuff is batteries. Assuming no battery breakthrough, what [flying car] companies are trying to solve, fundamentally, is the power problem — which is, "How do we get the thing airborne and 50 miles without literally running out of charge?"

The single biggest X factor in the next five or 10 years for all of this stuff will be if there is some fundamental breakthrough in battery technology, then basically all of these questions of what’s possible get reopened. Because if I had 10 or 100 times the amount of power that lasts 10 or 100 times longer, then we’re building Iron Man suits. Then all kinds of things start to happen.

That breakthrough could happen at any point. I don’t think that’s necessarily a Silicon Valley startup that does that. I think that’s either a research university or probably a big industrial research lab — Honeywell, GE, Toshiba, or one of these companies. There is tons of R&D going into that right now, because it’s such an obvious problem. Any time that breakthrough happens, that’s the big one — and then all of the sudden, we really do have flying cars."

I agree that a true breakthrough in energy storage can lead to an amazing new set of new products, like flying cars. But I disagree with Andreesen that the breakthrough will come from a big industrial lab like GE or Honeywell. With the billions of dollars of cash flow that the Model 3/Y will provide, Tesla can and likely will spend enormous amounts on R&D with a focus on not just improving batteries but also finding a true breakthrough in energy storage. My bet is that Tesla finds the true breakthrough.

I already know a very solid theoretical energy storage design which has that power density and energy density (>10x the current stuff), based on storing energy as magnetic potential rather than electric potential. :sigh: We haven't figured out how to commercialize it, because financing is hard, most financiers are trying to cheat you, and because we have lives which prevent us from working on it 24 hours a day like a true entrepeneur would. :-(

History of technology is weird. Good stuff gets invented and doesn't go into general usage *a lot*.

I gagree that a true breakthrough in energy storage can lead to an amazing new set of new products, like flying cars.
Obviously.
But I disagree with Andreesen that the breakthrough will come from a big industrial lab like GE or Honeywell. With the billions of dollars of cash flow that the Model 3/Y will provide, Tesla can and likely will spend enormous amounts on R&D with a focus on not just improving batteries but also finding a true breakthrough in energy storage. My bet is that Tesla finds the true breakthrough.
We don't know if that will happen, if it does when it will happen and who will figure it out.

As an investor I wouldn't bet on Tesla finding that first. Possibly but IMO unlikely. I don't believe that is crucial anyway. I think Tesla will handle any breakthroughs the same way they have handled Lithium Ion, Solar panels and autonomous driving. They will jump in first, and produce the best and least expensive versions of the technology, which is more important than making the initial discovery. That's their main moat, which is one of the things you're hoping for?

An interesting conundrum they'd face is what to do with it if they made the initial discovery. Because if they live up to their mission statement clearly they'd open source the technology, like their patents.

Last edited:
Reactions: neroden
An interesting conundrum they'd face is what to do with it if they made the initial discovery. Because if they live up to their mission statement clearly they'd open source the technology, like their patents.
I think their mission statement would be best served by them staying a successful company, so holding a discovery close for a while to give them an advantage would not be contrary to that. Tesla doesn't give away all of their knowledge after all.

Reactions: aubreymcfato
And a flying car is something you can fly without a pilot's (or some other super special) license?
Autonomy is integral to the flying car problem, it largely solves the pilot training problem and the ATC problem.

Batteries are already good enough to power a "flying car" 50 miles, but 50 miles may not be good enough. Then there are other problems like crafting the right regulatory framework, addressing consumer psychology issues, the potential aesthetic problem ...and the whole system needs to be extremely reliable.

Flying cars are silly. Even if we had automated helicopters they would not be used by very many people. First, they're inefficient. Second, they don't work in bad weather (you know how often planes are grounded by bad weather?) Third, they take up a lot of space when landing, and fourth, they're really loud.
5th, they can fall on your head. Which is exactly what Elon pointed out when someone asked him about the future of flying cars (I can't remember which interview).

Below is reportedly Larry Page's flying car. I'm as much a futurist as anyone, but this is one technology that I wouldn't bet on seeing in the near future.

Electric jets on the other hand ARE something that is constrained by current battery technologies..

screen%20shot%202016-10-24%20at%2012.09.05%20pm.png

One of my main medium-term concerns is the inauguration. I am posting two brief excerpts from talks and a link to a 7:45 minute video, because I'm hoping to have a chance to get some opinions on how this might impact either the overall market or Tesla.

Bernie Sanders on the Life and Legacy of Late Cuban Revolutionary Fidel Castro | Democracy Now!
SEN. BERNIE SANDERS: I know this will shock you: I personally do not believe every single thing that Donald Trump says. No, but I did mention in my remarks that that was a—you know, this is—we can go back and look at all of the totally absurd and nonfactual statements that Trump made. You know, and I am not a guy in politics who really likes to attack viciously my opponents. It’s not my style. But I felt obliged during the campaign to say something that was just patently true, and that is that Trump is a pathological liar. And, you know, I mean, he was saying—and the danger is, it may be—you know, everybody lies. You know you’re lying. But I fear very much that he may be not even knowing that he lies, that he believes that he is—the only person in the world who saw in New Jersey Muslims on a rooftop celebrating the destruction of the twin towers, the only person in America who saw it, and he’s utterly convinced that he saw it. And he may well be convinced of that. It may not be a lie; he may believe that he saw that.

Senator Elizabeth Warren: President-Elect Trump Already Broke Promise to "Drain the Swamp"
Published on Nov 17, 2016

Senator Elizabeth Warren delivered a floor speech on November 17, 2016 about how President-Elect Donald Trump is already breaking his promise to the American people that he would "drain the swamp" in Washington, DC.

Protest & "Boycott Everything": Robert Reich on the First 100 Day Resistance Agenda Against Trump | Democracy Now!
AMY GOODMAN: We’re talking to Robert Reich, former labor secretary under President Clinton, now professor at University of California, Berkeley. So let’s go to the labor secretary nominee of Donald Trump, the president-elect, Andrew Puzder, the fast-food CEO who is the head of the company that franchises Hardee’s and Carl’s Jr., longtime Republican donor, a vocal critic not just of the living wage, but of the minimum wage, expansion of overtime pay, paid sick leave and the Affordable Care Act. Can you talk about the significance of this position that you occupied decades ago?

ROBERT REICH: The secretary of labor presides over a vast regulatory and enforcement agency in charge of all of the labor laws of the United States, beginning with everything from unemployment insurance all the way through workplace safety and pension protection and enforcing the minimum wage laws and the 40-hour work week with time and a half for overtime and—and everything you could imagine. If you have a secretary of labor who is anti these labor laws—and Andrew Puzder has said again and again that he’s against raising the minimum wage. He doesn’t even believe in a federal minimum wage. He’s against the overtime regulations that came out that President Obama promulgated. He’s against many of these labor laws. If you have a president—a secretary of labor who’s against all of these labor laws, there’s a substantial danger that they will not be enforced, because that’s what the Labor Department does, is it enforces.
And I, frankly, worry about that. I’ve seen up close how important that enforcement is. You have some firms that will disregard those laws, unless the risk of getting caught times the penalty is greater than the benefits to that firm of simply flouting those laws. Mine safety is a good example. We’ve had, tragically, in the past, examples of mine owners who have basically turned their backs on those laws, a mine owner like, incidentally—or perhaps not incidentally—Wilbur Ross, who is going to be secretary of commerce, that terrible mine tragedy at one of his mines, where he was—he actually owned. Well, if you have a secretary of labor that is not enforcing the mine safety laws, you’re going to have mine owners that basically disregard them, like Wilbur Ross did.
My three question are:
1. Will the unemployed and underemployed voters who voted for Trump ever figure out that they were lied to?

2. If so, how long will it take?

3. What will happen to the market and Tesla if and when they do?

austinEV said:
Yeah the Trump win has me in a confidence funk. In fact, I had market sell orders for EVERYTHING the morning after the election with a plan to stay in cash until "the crash" was over. I have slowly rebuilt my long position on dips but sometimes wonder why. I have two minds on it: There just HAS to be some Trump related disaster-- trade wars or actual wars. OR a dumb rally because Wall Street is besotted with a Trump presidency?

Or it won't matter. The market will have freakouts but TSLA itself is due to double+ in the next 4 years. I REALLY wish he wasn't bringing such uncertainty.

5th, they can fall on your head. Which is exactly what Elon pointed out when someone asked him about the future of flying cars (I can't remember which interview).

Below is reportedly Larry Page's flying car. I'm as much a futurist as anyone, but this is one technology that I wouldn't bet on seeing in the near future.

Electric jets on the other hand ARE something that is constrained by current battery technologies..

screen%20shot%202016-10-24%20at%2012.09.05%20pm.png
That's the worst flying car ever if it has to be pulled by a golf cart. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.