Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Ask a professional car detailer, clear bra and coatings installation expert

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would you be so kind as to clarify what you mean by "shampoo" when discussing clay bar treatment? I'm thinking Head & Shoulders is not that to which you're referring....

Okay, more seriously. My pickup trucks &c get laved with warm water and non-scented Dawn dish detergent, as that crowd believes its surfactants are gentle enough to be appropriate for auto paint. For the vehicles we discuss on this forum: Yes, No, or Run Away Quickly?

Do not use dish detergent on paint finishes. There are plenty of car wash shampoos that work well.

My mother nature wrap.

IMG_1182[1].jpg

I have Suntek on the hood of my car and after three years I can see fairly light swirls. The Suntek was coated with CQuartz finest...any idea why the film is not "healing"?

The coating should not affect the self-healing properties. My guess is that the film's having some issues. Did you have all of the work performed at the same shop? If so, reach out to them and they should be able to address your concerns.

It's not a Tesla but Teslas go in and come out of our trailer just the same! Metro-Atlanta clients who have us perform our performance ppf wrap and Modesta body coating or a full body ppf wrap get a no-cost transportation from the delivery center or their home to our facility.

Moving this post onto the "ask an expert" thread:

I've read a lot of posts about films and coatings and noticed that most folks use film as protection against rock chips, presumably from freeway driving. For that reason (and to save money), some people do front-only or partial coverage. I drive mostly on secondary roads at 30-50mph and don't have many chips on my car even after 10 years. Are front films less useful for suburban speeds? If I'm going to invest in film, I'm wondering if I should be focused on the side of my car instead of the front? You know, to protect against runaway Home Depot carts, uncaring Escalade drivers, or even just minimizing damage from mis-judging my garage entrance, versus the damage from the less frequent flying freeway rock? How does film stand up in a parking lot against an adjacent car door? (I don't mean someone seriously trying to ding me, I just mean ordinary wear and tear from sloppy door-openers). For the discussion, please assume I'm going to do a full vehicle coating in addition to some/all film coverage, because carwash swirls and bird poop drive me nuts, but I won't obsess over a couple of small dings on a lower valance.

Moving this post onto the "ask an expert" thread:

I've read a lot of posts about films and coatings and noticed that most folks use film as protection against rock chips, presumably from freeway driving. For that reason (and to save money), some people do front-only or partial coverage. I drive mostly on secondary roads at 30-50mph and don't have many chips on my car even after 10 years. Are front films less useful for suburban speeds? If I'm going to invest in film, I'm wondering if I should be focused on the side of my car instead of the front? You know, to protect against runaway Home Depot carts, uncaring Escalade drivers, or even just minimizing damage from mis-judging my garage entrance, versus the damage from the less frequent flying freeway rock? How does film stand up in a parking lot against an adjacent car door? (I don't mean someone seriously trying to ding me, I just mean ordinary wear and tear from sloppy door-openers). For the discussion, please assume I'm going to do a full vehicle coating in addition to some/all film coverage, because carwash swirls and bird poop drive me nuts, but I won't obsess over a couple of small dings on a lower valance.
\

Thanks for sharing your question DS.

Even if you're only traveling 30 mph, a rock thrown from a vehicle in front of you will cause damage to the front of your car. So a good question in return may be to ask if you are okay with rock chips? If so, sure, pass on protecting the front.

In terms of PPF protecting the sides of your car, it is the best.

With PPF I advise folks get as much as they feel comfortable spending money on as it gives the ultimate in peace of mind.

I just wrapped up on a big article that answers the question of "what causes swirl marks?". I wanted to take a moment to share it with all of you because no doubt, swirl marks and other defects in your paint is a concern. There is a lot of misinformation out there and I hope this is a fine point of reference for anyone with 5-10 minutes to read through the topic and make sure you're not doing anything that would cause damage to your fine Tesla!

There was quite a bit of time and energy thrown at this piece and I sincerely hope you enjoy it. Feel free to fire off any questions you may have and I will do my best to help out!

What Causes Swirl Marks?

cutaway-with-text-SMALL-format-A-DDAS-Creation.jpg

How long will your clear bra look good on your car? That greatly depends upon your ongoing care and the exposure. Your ongoing care is the absolutely largest factor in how long paint protection film looks great for you and your Tesla.

The 10 year warranties the manufacturer offers covers you on manufacturer defects and our lifetime warranty on labor covers you on any potential craftsmanship/labor issues.

How-long-will-PPF-last-bell-curve.jpg

Did you know?

The inside of a paint protection film wrap can be attractive? This Model X is about to be completed with a full body Clear Guard Nano Paint Protection Film wrap and Modesta paint and wheel coating application. We will be sharing a project video on it in the next few weeks so keep your eyes peeled for it!
How PPF is supposed to look -Model X Atlanta.jpg

Attachments

• How PPF is supposed to look -Model X.jpg
    How PPF is supposed to look -Model X.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 35
Have you been hating the brake dust on your wheels? Consider having someone coat them. Wheel coatings provide owners with wheels that are substantially easier to keep clean and better protected. Here's an example of wheels we coated a few years ago. Even when coated with an inferior product compared with our modern wheel coating solutions by Modesta, the proof's in the pudding as they say.