Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

At low speeds Model 3 is too quiet [Update: now solved with new pedestrian warning sounds]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Elon tweeted a while back that if forced to do this he would look at ways to make it directional towards the pedestrians and make the sound customizable. My wife would have a fit, but I would use Fart Mode and fart at the walkers :)

• Funny
Reactions: dsvick
I have been driving my Tesla for 15k miles now and have noticed a serious safety issue. When I pull out of my driveway the car is so silent pedestrians and bicyclists do not hear the vehicle. It is the same in parking structures. This could easily be solved with a chime button that would broadcast a tone outside of the vehicle (I vote for R2D2's chime). I would use this daily to warn in blind approaches or parking structures. I would like to adjust the exterior volume myself based on condition.
This is the most dangerous thing I have noticed with this completely awesome car.
Do you hear the bicycles? No cause you look out for them right?

When I owned a Prius, I had folks that I was approaching from behind in parking lots step out in front of me, without looking back and I had to stop the car. The response was always the same when they realized I was there: Shock. I rolled the window down to ask one guy if he was okay because his reaction was like grabbing onto a live wire. He chuckled and said, " Man! That thing is quiet! I never heard you coming!" I asked, dont you look before crossing? He replied, sheepishly, "Yeah, I should have ! Sorry! Point is, it happens AND it has happened in my 3. Beeping, pinging, honking, toning.....I'm not sure what the answer is but, I know to drive slowly through parking lots.

• Love
Reactions: wgood33 and Sherlo
Well I just read that Model 3's are being shipped with pedestrian sounds built into the horn! Nice work Elon Musk :)
My car was built in 2018, I wonder/hope I can retrofit. I am daily having dangerous situations in parking lots, just yesterday a lady walked right in front of my car. I am playing defense.
It's not their fault, the car is very silent

Reactions: brandonee916
Well I just read that Model 3's are being shipped with pedestrian sounds built into the horn! Nice work Elon Musk :)
My car was built in 2018, I wonder/hope I can retrofit. I am daily having dangerous situations in parking lots, just yesterday a lady walked right in front of my car. I am playing defense.
It's not their fault, the car is very silent
From the descriptions and audio clips I’ve heard it sounds like it is the European regulation version, which is a far more sane one than the US one.

Really the data supporting safety concerns with forward travel is very limited & sketchy. It is backup and turns were it might matter.

The forward sound is “meh”, sounds to me a lot like driving on loose gravel. That white noise is supposed to be really good for use by blind people, better than ICE noise in fact, but mostly forward about driver paying attention (or not). Reverse you get into visibility issues for the driver so the sound to alert pedestrians (and other vehicles) matters as a fallback. We already knew this, though, why commercial vehicles have a backup alarm.

The reverse noise I’ve heard and, at least as captured on audio, I like a lot on first hearing. I do kinda want that, optimum for me is only that reverse sound.

As has been noted, the issue you are concerned about has been resolved. See
All Model 3s built since 9/1 have a pedestrian warning speaker installed . Please continue this discussion that thread. Thank you.
I have been driving my Tesla for 15k miles now and have noticed a serious safety issue. When I pull out of my driveway the car is so silent pedestrians and bicyclists do not hear the vehicle. It is the same in parking structures. This could easily be solved with a chime button that would broadcast a tone outside of the vehicle (I vote for R2D2's chime). I would use this daily to warn in blind approaches or parking structures. I would like to adjust the exterior volume myself based on condition.
This is the most dangerous thing I have noticed with this completely awesome car.

Status
Not open for further replies.