Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Atlanta, GA Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Called Alpharetta about an hour ago and my car is still not there, but they guy I spoke with said it is in transit (on a truck) from B’ham to Alpharetta now. They are expecting 4 truckloads in this afternoon and evening and expect my car is on one of them. Said they should be able to prep and get everything ready for my 4pm delivery tomorrow afternoon.

My FIA is kicking in and making me think of all the things that could go wrong over the next 27 hours. Trying to focus on happy thoughts and getting my car tomorrow. :)
Watch some football. Have a beer or 6. Take the wife out for dinner. Pack it in early (try reading some Tolstoy...that will put anyone to sleep). Before you know it you'll be working through all those menus on your very own 3!

Dan

Called Alpharetta about an hour ago and my car is still not there, but they guy I spoke with said it is in transit (on a truck) from B’ham to Alpharetta now. They are expecting 4 truckloads in this afternoon and evening and expect my car is on one of them. Said they should be able to prep and get everything ready for my 4pm delivery tomorrow afternoon.

My FIA is kicking in and making me think of all the things that could go wrong over the next 27 hours. Trying to focus on happy thoughts and getting my car tomorrow. :)

It's bonkers there.. cars coming in constantly. I got there at 7:10 PM Thursday and there was a car carrier there delivering vehicles at night. 4 employees stayed until 8:30 PM to help with my delivery and do other work.

• Informative
Reactions: EnrgyNDpndnce
Watch some football. Have a beer or 6. Take the wife out for dinner. Pack it in early (try reading some Tolstoy...that will put anyone to sleep). Before you know it you'll be working through all those menus on your very own 3!

Dan

Thanks Dan. Definitely going to dinner and our daughter is home from college for the weekend so we’re taking her out as well. Just passing the time until tomorrow!

Reactions: Dan Detweiler
Well I’ve had a bit of a disappointing evening. Tesla called and said the car did not arrive tonight and that it might arrive tomorrow but might not, so they want to reschedule me for later this week. That’s a bit of a problem for me since, based on them saying over the last few days that everything looked good for Sunday, I turned in my rental car earlier today. I sold my car before my previously scheduled Sept. 30th delivery that got cancelled and have been renting a car ever since. By the time they called me, the rental place was closed, none are open on Sunday, and I need to leave at 5:30am Monday to drive to Lexington, KY for a 12:30pm meeting. So they said IF it actually arrives in Alpharetta tomorrow they will proceed with my delivery at 4pm but their detail staff doesn’t work on Sunday so it won’t be detailed and they won’t be able to fix any minor issues until later. They are supposed to call me tomorrow afternoon.

Just trying to breath and drink a couple of adult beverages tonight. And think happy thoughts.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Well I’ve had a bit of a disappointing evening. Tesla called and said the car did not arrive tonight and that it might arrive tomorrow but might not, so they want to reschedule me for later this week. That’s a bit of a problem for me since, based on them saying over the last few days that everything looked good for Sunday, I turned in my rental car earlier today. I sold my car before my previously scheduled Sept. 30th delivery that got cancelled and have been renting a car ever since. By the time they called me, the rental place was closed, none are open on Sunday, and I need to leave at 5:30am Monday to drive to Lexington, KY for a 12:30pm meeting. So they said IF it actually arrives in Alpharetta tomorrow they will proceed with my delivery at 4pm but their detail staff doesn’t work on Sunday so it won’t be detailed and they won’t be able to fix any minor issues until later. They are supposed to call me tomorrow afternoon.

Just trying to breath and drink a couple of adult beverages tonight. And think happy thoughts.

Sorry to hear that. I was rescheduled out 7 times and pulled up once as you know. It is very frustrating but to their credit, the local staff did the best they could with what was available. Tesla really needs to work on this delivery experience because this is just annoying a lot of folks. The good news is that the car is great but this really needs work and the management needs to understand the backflips the customers are going through over this.

Dang, I'm sorry to hear that. It's close...excrutiatingly close.

Dan

At this point if they can’t deliver a car to you I would demand a loaner. Were you paying for the rental out of pocket?

Yeah, that’s my last resort this afternoon if the car doesn’t arrive, demand a loaner. The problem (for Tesla) is I would need the loaner until Friday and will put close to 1k miles on it, but that’s really their problem not mine. And yes, the rental car has been on my dime, spent almost $1k so far. I made them away of the situation previously but was crystal clear that I didn’t want Tesla to pay for the loaner (at that time), I just wanted to get my car.

The only real disappointment I have faced so far (keeping things in perspective) is the attitude of the young man I was dealing with in Alpharetta yesterday evening. After I calmly explained my situation to him his response was (and I’m paraphrasing), “I mean, we’ll do our best, but if the car doesn’t arrive tomorrow there isn’t anything we can do for you and you’ll have to postpone your delivery.” No sympathy for the bind this puts me in, and no willingness to try to find a creative solution (like, hey Mr. customer, we’ll give you a loaner so you aren’t stranded).

I never expect perfection when dealing with any companies or individuals because we are all human and therefore imperfect. Mistakes happen, problems arise, it’s the way of the world. What sets an organization apart is how they handle those problems. You can take lemons and decide “well this stinks, I’ve got a bunch of lemons” (which is what the young man did last night) or you can take those lemons and make orange juice, and leave the world wondering how you did it!

Well I’ve had a bit of a disappointing evening. Tesla called and said the car did not arrive tonight and that it might arrive tomorrow but might not, so they want to reschedule me for later this week.

I feel your pain Enrgy. I’m going through the same thing right now. Was supposed to take delivery yesterday but the car is estimated to arrive on Tuesday now. Scheduled for Thursday pickup to give them a slight buffer. See if they will provide you a loaner at this point. If not, you can pickup a car from the airport as a last resort, they are open 24/7. At this point we just need to be patient...

Full car paint correction, full car XPEL PPF, Opti Coat Pro Plus ceramic coating.

Hey Dan,

I just got a few quotes for this service as well from a few local shops. Mind sharing your experience and who you ended up going with?

I feel your pain Enrgy. I’m going through the same thing right now. Was supposed to take delivery yesterday but the car is estimated to arrive on Tuesday now. Scheduled for Thursday pickup to give them a slight buffer. See if they will provide you a loaner at this point. If not, you can pickup a car from the airport as a last resort, they are open 24/7. At this point we just need to be patient.../QUOTE]

Sorry to hear you’re going through the same thing Rodrique, but misery loves company! Agree, we need to be patient, and I’m doing everything I can to give Tesla all the patience contained within my body. They really, REALLY need to work these logistics and delivery issues out pronto, because the mass market of the $35k to $45k cars will not be as patient or forgiving as those of us who are early adopters. Amazon ships millions of packages each month (I’m guessing but that’s probably accurate) and at any given time they can generally tell you where each one is and how long (with some measure of accuracy) before each one is delivered. I get that shipping cars is not the same as shipping widgets, but there is no reason Tesla can’t be much better than they are today.

So here’s the update and it’s not good. My car isn’t in Alpharetta yet, still showing “in transit” which apparently translates into “we have no idea where your car is.” Ended up speaking with the delivery manager there who it turns out was the same young man I spoke with yesterday who was of very little help. Asked about a loaner, he said they don’t have any and can’t get me one. Not today, not tomorrow. We spoke about other options (meaning I asked, he didn’t offer anything) and nothing worked. At my insistence he called Avalon to see if they had a test drive vehicle they could spare as a loaner for me, he called me back and said they didn’t have anything they could spare. I asked if they had another car in my configuration that wasn’t assigned to anyone, and they guy literally said “I’ll have to check.” I mean, wouldn’t you check that before you call someone to cancel? Anyway when he called back he said not only do they not have any cars that match my configuration, they don’t even have any in my color.

Other than really being disappointed in both the outcome and the apparent lack of concern for how negatively this is impacting me (you know, the customer?), I was amazed by one bit of information the guy shared. While we were talking about loaners etc he basically told me this happens to so many people and its a known issue so Tesla can’t and won’t offer a loaner or any other sort of remedy for customers in my situation. The tone he took with me was one of indignation that I would even ask, which made my blood pressure spike a bit. I pressed him and he said “this happens to hundreds of people each week.” And I was like, wait, back up, are you telling me that HUNDREDS of delivery appointments get delayed every week in Alpharetta? So then he thought a moment about my question (and probably realized he was using hyperbole too much) and changed his tune to “well, maybe not each week but for sure hundreds each month.” So I repeated and asked him to confirm that hundreds of delivery appointments each month are cancelled in Alpharetta, and he said YES.

If true, that is a shockingly bad record of on time deliveries. They previously told me they delivered over 500 Model 3s last month, so if you figure another 150 S/X that’s 650 or optimistically 700 per month. If 200 get delayed that’s almost 30% of customers experiencing some sort of delay. I’m no logistics expert, but I would not consider that to be good. My wife’s reaction to this entire debacle was exactly what most people will do if Tesla doesn’t get their sh*t together, she said “this is terrible, just cancel the order and go buy a BMW today.”

Anyway, I’ve got to now call my mother-in-law and ask if we can borrow her car for the next week, which just makes me all kinds of happy. :)

Final update for tonight. Car not there (no kidding) and I’m officially now rescheduled for this Friday, 10/26. Asked them if they feel certain it will happen this time and they wouldn’t even commit to that. Which is kind of good and kind of bad actually. No loaner, Tesla Alpharetta is apparently taking the stance that so many people get delayed they can’t possibly provide a loaner for all of them. That’s bad. I did ask if they would allow me to use a friend’s referral code retroactively to get the 6 months of supercharging, and the young man I spoke with said he submitted a request for that but it isn’t his decision. Hoping that will work out, and really hoping I get to take delivery Friday.

At my company, there are four model 3 deliveries and two of them have been delayed, with the same story: car is in transit but not here yet. I’m one of the delayed, shared my story earlier in this thread. In my small sample size, that’s 50% delayed.

Any Tesla buyers should NOT make any concrete plans like selling their car until they actually take delivery. It’s just too risky.

Final update for tonight. Car not there (no kidding) and I’m officially now rescheduled for this Friday, 10/26. Asked them if they feel certain it will happen this time and they wouldn’t even commit to that. Which is kind of good and kind of bad actually. No loaner, Tesla Alpharetta is apparently taking the stance that so many people get delayed they can’t possibly provide a loaner for all of them. That’s bad. I did ask if they would allow me to use a friend’s referral code retroactively to get the 6 months of supercharging, and the young man I spoke with said he submitted a request for that but it isn’t his decision. Hoping that will work out, and really hoping I get to take delivery Friday.
Wow, I am so sorry. I thought I had it bad when I got rescheduled 4 times during that end of quarter debacle. Hope it all works out, and soon. They have GOT to figure out this delivery process. They are going to start losing their strongest asset...their customers.

Dan

• Love
Wow, I am so sorry. I thought I had it bad when I got rescheduled 4 times during that end of quarter debacle. Hope it all works out, and soon. They have GOT to figure out this delivery process. They are going to start losing their strongest asset...their customers.

Dan

I agree Dan. I’ll be fine and will in all likelihood take delivery this Friday. But as you said, Tesla needs to get this worked out before they start losing customers. Having up to a 50% failure rate in on time deliveries as @gtphotog discussed is simply unacceptable, and will not fly with the mass market buyers.

Peace out people, I’m going to bed!

• Love
Status
Not open for further replies.