Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Atlantic Canada - any Tesla owners out there?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I made the trip from Toronto to Truro last October in my S85 and returned in November. I delayed my trip waiting for the promised Bangor SC to happen last fall but finally settled for a 'leisurely' day on day 2. I planned my route to use only SC and 70A L2 chargers. There are a couple of dealerships with chargers in Bangor, and I scheduled my drive so I would be there during business hours, but I wanted to keep that as a last resort. By the time I reached Bangor it was looking hopeful so I decided to make a run for the border.

1. Toronto > Kingston There was no SC there last fall so I topped up a little for Cornwall at Best Western 70A @ 80km/hr.
  2. Kingston > Cornwall SC
  3. Cornwall > Lac Megantic - End of Day 1 overnight stop at Sun Country 70A @ 80km/hr
    This is a nice town to overnight in and the drive through ME is beautiful. I've done the all-Canadian trans Canada route many times and this was a very nice change. And lots of interest in the MS at the border crossings.
  4. Lac Megantic > St Stephen Sun Country 70A @ 80km/hr at the tourist visitor centre just over the border.
    This was the leg that worried me a bit as I wasn't sure how the trip through Maine would go but I drove conservatively and arrived in NB with 50km left in the bank! It helped that there's an overall elevation drop. But I was able to make the return trip through here as well with a little under 20km left when I got to Lac Megantic. Of course the temp was lower on the return trip: 1-2C vs 7-10C.
  5. St Stephen > Moncton Sun Country 70A - only got 70km/hr but same amperage as other 70A
  6. Moncton > Sackville NB Sun Country 70A @ 70km/hr, didn't really need to stop here but wanted to check out the charger at the visitor centre
  7. Sackville > Truro - final destination, 120V wall plug @ 7km/hr :crying:

I spent as much time charging as I did driving on day 2. It's a long day so you want to start very early, but with all the idle time it's not very tiring.

The strange thing is that I've charged at several Sun Country 70A chargers from ON to NB and consistently got 80km/hr and then all of a sudden that rate went down to 70km/hr and remains fixed there every time. It first dropped to 70km/hr when I first charged in St Stephen. Now all the same chargers that used to give me 80km/hr give me 70: Milton, ON, Shannonville, ON, Kingston, ON, Lac Megantic, QC, St Stephen, NB, Sackville, NB. I don't know how to explain that except that it looks like something changed on my end. But what? I have dual chargers. I'm keen to know what rate others are getting from 70A.

I figure the Bangor SC, now rescheduled to sometime this year, would cut about 4 hours idle time out of day 2.