Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Atlantic Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wanted to share my thoughts on how Tesla should follow their deployment of Superchargers in Eastern Quebec (Gaspésie region). The two newest locations on the map are Matane and Sainte-Anne-des-monts. While I don't have any objection to the latter location, I do not think there should be a Matane Supercharger, reason being if Tesla wanted to expand their locations down into New Brunswick with Campbellton and Miramichi, it would be a lot more practical if drivers could Supercharge in Mont-Joli instead of driving up to Matane then back down.

That’s probably what will happen anyway, knowing that Tesla occasionally changes the cities in which they place Superchargers, like they did with Saint Léonard, which was along Route 17, unlike Edmundston. Anyway, my fingers are crossed for a Supercharger in Mont-Jo...

3C529F68-4136-4C1C-876C-E38E0D1B0CC0.jpeg

Reactions: Goggs
Really hoping for a Miramichi location in 2 years time. Should have a Tesla by then and have in-laws there. The winters are brutal there compared to southern NB so a supercharger would be so helpful with being able to get back home.

I'm still don't understand why there is no Superchargers in Newfoundland yet.
Because that would encourage sales and that would require support for not many cars. I did take my X on the ferry before there were DC chargers in NS and had just enough range to get to St John’s. Meanwhile some DC may be cominv soon https://bids.nalcorenergy.com/Module/Tenders/en/Tender/Detail/b27663d6-1958-4bcf-a999-5805f9ad3e99# since several groups got money
I will go again when I can drive from one port to the other without overnight charging.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: outdoors
Yes but if they put few superchargers there more people would drove teslas there, including me.

Relatively small population, most of them in the are of St John's, and the EV market isn't very strong, so not a priority to get in and serve the island's population.

For visitors, to drive a Tesla to Newfoundland you first need to drive to North Sydney, NS.
It's 419km from the Supercharger in Aulac, NB to the ferry in North Sydney, NS. So Tesla first needs to build its planned Superchargers (see their findus page) in the New Glasgow, NS and Auld's Cove, NS areas.

Then you need to catch a ferry, year round to Port aux Basques, NL, or summer (and an extra 105 per car and 65 per person each way) to Argentina, NL.

Argentina, NL to St John's, NL is 131.6km.
Port aux Basques, NL to St John's, NL is 1080km

So, to provide reasonable service Tesla will need to:
- build the planned Superchargers in Nova Scotia
- build a bunch of Superchargers between Port aux Basques, NL and St John's, NL.

Not saying it'll never happen, but you have to be realistic that it's not going to happen quickly, it'd happen _after_ connecting Cape Breton, NS, and the multiple Superchargers required properly to cover the whole of the TCH in Newfoundland, would probably make it a low priority.

Assuming they eventually do it, I would expect them to work west from St John's, NL to start with the most populous area first.