Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Attacks on Autonomous vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

malcolm

Nov 12, 2006
Okay, this gets a nine-point-oh on my weird-sh*t-o-meter

Is the human driver simply irritating pedestrians or is this the start of a new street sport?

People are reportedly attacking driverless cars in California

And although not technically a car:

A San Francisco animal shelter faced significant backlash when it began using a patrolling security robot. Angry residents vandalized the bot, knocking it over and pouring barbecue sauce onto its sensors, the shelter’s president, Jennifer Scarlett, told the San Francisco Business Times.

Anyone looking into the effects of barbecue sauce on cameras and Lidars?

This is a typical Luddite response. I had this discussion a couple years ago with a friend, and he was surprised that I would predict such vandalism. To me it's pretty obvious there will be more of this in the future, until autonomous cars are commonplace. It will be particularly bad against autonomous semis. I expect the Teamsters to try to block them for as long as possible with dire warnings about safety, etc., until the numbers are so obviously in favor of autonomous being safer that it will be nearly impossible to insure a human-driven semi. There will also, of course, be support for autonomous from many companies who are interested in the cost savings. I would not want to be a (younger) taxi/Lyft/Uber/truck driver right now.

I've heard from some people living in SF and Mountain View that some self driving cars do really idiotic things, like stopping suddenly, or making really slow lane changes, or allowing a lot of drivers to cut in front while blocking traffic behind them….

So some of this might not just be a hatred of autonomous driving tech, but be the same kind of road rage reactions that happen in these areas when one driver thinks another is being unskilled and causing a delay to them. Doesn't make that behavior right, but there's a lot of social dynamics too of driving that are conveniently distilled away when it comes to filing an accident report.

It will be particularly bad against autonomous semis. I expect the Teamsters to try to block them for as long as possible with dire warnings about safety, etc., until the numbers are so obviously in favor of autonomous being safer that it will be nearly impossible to insure a human-driven semi. There will also, of course, be support for autonomous from many companies who are interested in the cost savings.

There will also be those of us supporting autonomous semis because w are sick of being stuck behind one semi overtaking another at 0.0000000001 mph faster up a hill.

Yes, I'm petty, but god that drives me nuts.