Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Attempting to price out options for Model 3 (Part 2!)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm thinking it would be relatively easy for Tesla to bump the size of the pack a bit to beat the Bolt. Maybe a 58kWh pack could do it, (60 actual 58 usable). There is no law that pack sizes must be multiples of 5. GM "cheated" a bit by using around a 64kWh pack and calling it a 60.
They're not going to be able to make adjustments that are smaller in size than 1 module, module size has definitely already been set and is likely around 9.2kWh. There may be voltage restrictions involved as well, if each module is 200V (which I think is likely) then you will have to add 2 modules at a time, increasing the minimum increment size to ~18kWh.
Of course I could be completely wrong about module size etc. but I think all evidence points in the direction of the big pack being 75kWh/8 modules, which puts the base pack at 55kWh/6 modules. (Exact numbers that I expect are 73.5kWh big pack and 55.1kWh base pack)

Last edited:
They're not going to be able to make adjustments that are smaller in size than 1 module, module size has definitely already been set and is likely around 9.2kWh. There may be voltage restrictions involved as well, if each module is 200V (which I think is likely) then you will have to add 2 modules at a time, increasing the minimum increment size to ~18kWh.
Of course I could be completely wrong about module size etc. but I think all evidence points in the direction of the big pack being 75kWh/8 modules, which puts the base pack at 55kWh/6 modules. (Exact numbers that I expect are 73.5kWh big pack and 55.1kWh base pack)

"LHC,"

Where do you get the 9.2 kWh per module?

As for 200 V per module, I think that would be highly unlikely. To keep BMS cost down automotive packs are almost always one string. Multiple high voltage strings in parallel require a BMS for every string, or some other way to balance the 92-100 cell groups (single cells or multiple cells in parallel) in each string.

GSP

PS. This is (sort of) on topic for pricing the larger battery option

The advantage of having 200V modules is that you can have two packs with 6 and 8 modules, where all the modules are identical, and both packs are 400V. But the BMS would be more complicated.

The disadvantage of having 50V modules is that using identical modules and dropping two modules results in a 300V pack. That's fairly low, and would probably cause problems with the superchargers, the slow charger and the drive inverters. The alternative would be to still have eight 50V modules, where you remove some cells from each module. This would likely be more costly and heavier. But the BMS would be simpler.

I think Tesla would be willing to put in the extra effort to find a good BMS design that would allow them to connect modules in parallell without much fuss. Some extra effort in the design phase should allow them to simplify battery pack production substantially.

"LHC,"

Where do you get the 9.2 kWh per module?

As for 200 V per module, I think that would be highly unlikely. To keep BMS cost down automotive packs are almost always one string. Multiple high voltage strings in parallel require a BMS for every string, or some other way to balance the 92-100 cell groups (single cells or multiple cells in parallel) in each string.

GSP

PS. This is (sort of) on topic for pricing the larger battery option
These are good points, my responses would be the same as what Yggdrasill posted above. I'd like to add that these modules will likely be used in MS/X eventually, without something like 200V/module the module voltage won't scale well from base M3 (6 modules) to top MX (~12 modules).

9.2kWh comes from ~75kWh/8 modules.

Edit: @GSP I'm interested to hear if you have an alternative module layout, any speculation of your own?

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: GSP