Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audi EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
David,

I read through the press release (which looks like it could have been written by Martin(familiar terminology & ideas)), and there's nothing that I see that says definitively that the motors are inboard.

The previous Audi electric supercar concept, the R-Zero, definitely had in-wheel motors.

2006 Audi R-Zero Concept

However, I still think that you may be correct. The Audi engineers may well have learned from their experience from the R-Zero, and decided to move them inboard.

The e-Tron will hopefully be at the CIAS in Toronto next month, and if it is, I will be sure to check the location of the e-motors.

David,

I read through the press release (which looks like it could have been written by Martin(familiar terminology & ideas)), and there's nothing that I see that says definitively that the motors are inboard.

If it were hub motors, how could they be mounted behind the axle?

The previous Audi electric supercar concept, the R-Zero, definitely had in-wheel motors.

2006 Audi R-Zero Concept

However, I still think that you may be correct. The Audi engineers may well have learned from their experience from the R-Zero, and decided to move them inboard.

The R-Zero was the work of design students collaborating with Audi, not from in-house.

I saw no axles in the Volvo and can't imagine what an axle would do in a wheel motor setup? Further more, there is no way Audi could get their claimed torque numbers without gearing, and that probably would not be included in a wheel motor.
Why do I get the feeling that we are splitting hairs here? If I see the car next month at the CIAS, then I will report on the location of the motors.

As I have indicated (twice now) in the posts above, I believe that there is a good possibility that the motors are inboard, but I haven't seen anything definitive yet.

We have discussed the pros and cons of a single motor set-up versus multiple motor set-ups (both inboard and in-wheel) before on this site, and on Martin's TeslaFounders site (RIP), and I think we all know how Martin felt about multiple motors (less efficient, more unnecessary complexity). The specs and price of the e-Tron compared to the Tesla Roadster would seem to support his position.

My original comment (#96) was intended to allude to Martin's preference for a single motor set-up, rather than multiple motors.

Audi A1 e-tron REEV: Audi A1 electric supermini does 149mpg

car_photo_359962_25.jpg

This concept is the latest model to wear the firm's e-tron badge, and it points the way to a new electric A1 for the near future.

At the front lies an electric motor which is backed up by a range extending 254cc Wankel rotary engine under the boot floor. Together the powertrain provides 61bhp and 240Nm of torque.

The system is capable of running on electric power alone for 31 miles, at which point the engine kicks in to extend the range to 124 miles. It runs at 5,000rpm to provide energy for the on-board batteries.

The A1 e-tron posts some remarkably green figures, emitting 44g/km of CO2 and returning 149mpg on the combined cycle. And it's pretty quick too – 0-62mph in 10.2 seconds and a top speed of 81mph.

car_photo_359353_25.jpg

The interesting thing (to me) is that this is the first time I've heard of a battery sustaining the ICE and not vice-versa. ICBW, but I'm pretty sure that the car would struggle under ICE power alone - it's only 15kW.

I wonder if you have to tell it to start the ICE before you go on a journey over 30 miles?

Audi R4's future 'undecided' - Autocar.co.uk

One source told us: "The reaction to the e-tron concept has been overwhelming."

However.

Although the Audi e-tron concept car was revealed with an all-electric driveline, the production version of the R4 is planned to come with the choice of turbocharged 1.4–litre and 1.6-litre four-cylinder petrol engines as well as a 2.0-litre, four-cylinder diesel engine.

ABG goes further:

In any case, the British mag continues to suggest that the R4 would presumably get two turbocharged gasoline engines (1.4-liter and 1.6-liter) along with a 2.0-liter turbodiesel mill in lieu of the all-electric powertrain shown off in concept form. While we mourn the loss of the conceptual EV, we know that Audi is hard at work on other electric vehicles and the idea of a sporty diesel roadster certainly is appealing.

Greenwash?

Anyway, if you want a small two seat EV sportscar without the smoke and mirrors, you know where to get it...