Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audio Default to 4 when shifting Gear?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Updated to 2019.12.1.1 last night on my Model S.

When shifting into any gear (R or D), the audio level will go to 4, no matter what.

If you're in park, turn the music down to 0, then shift to D, goes up to 4. Same if you're in D and you turn the music down, shift to R, it goes back to 4 again.

This is driving me nuts, is it meant to be a "Feature" as part of the new update??

Reactions: jewilson2
something similar in my MS, ever since updating to 2019.12.1.1, shifting into any gear (except into P) changes the audio level to 2

annoying, yes - I say "Bug". curious that it's 4 for you vs 2 for me. maybe just another sign of poor programming skills at Tesla...

Same here. You have to turn it down a few times upon entry for it to "stick". Then, it changes back to 4 when you shift to reverse. Basically the opposite of what it's supposed to do (get quieter when you are in R).

so here's the crazy thing - today I get in my car and now every time I shift gears the volume goes to 4 (!?). Doesn't matter if I have the volume set to 1 or 6 beforehand, it now goes to 4 upon shifting.
It would go to 2 a couple days ago (didn't drive yesterday so car was inactive/asleep between then). Never seen this weirdness before 2019.12.1.1

and another strange audio issue today - for about 10 seconds while driving my turn signal was blinking but there was no audio clicking sound (the clicking sound eventually came back). Likely unrelated glitch - I believe at the same time Slacker had some kind of loading error and I've seen all audio including turn signal clicker cut out like that before if there is USB loading error

anyhow did a reboot after I parked at home - for the time being it got rid of these volume changes when shifting gears. We'll see what happens tomorrow....

Last edited:
ok I may have found a clue to what might be triggering this... I think it has something to do with Atari easter eggs. Here is what I've observed.

I was thinking about the problem and I remember after I got the 2019.12.1.1 update, I went through the release notes to see what was new - e.g. I quickly enabled dog mode, and opened up the Atari easter eggs. I started a game of Breakout but only played a few seconds because the audio volume was kind of loud. Then I exited the easter eggs and didn't return to them again. It was after that, later when I went for a drive that I noticed that shifting gears mucked about with the audio player volume. As reported up-thread, originally it was changing volume to 2 every time I shifted gears, later it started changing volume to 4. Then I rebooted the MCU and the problem seemed to go away.

Today when I remembered the easter eggs, I opened up the Atari games and launched Breakout. I only played a couple seconds, long enough to hear the loud game sounds, then I exited the easter eggs. Later when I went for a drive the audio problem started again! i.e. shifting gears affected the audio player volume, this time (again), forcing the volume to 2 every time I shifted to D,R,N (but not P)

so I'm guessing anybody else seeing this audio weirdness likely launched one of the Atari games beforehand. Somehow playing an Atari game mucks up something in the logic and causes shifting gears to modify the audio player volume unepectedly. Chalk another one up to lame programming skills at Tesla.

No idea why I was seeing volume -> 2 and volume -> 4 on different days. After this latest confirmation of the problem, I've held off rebooting to see if something changes after a day (like it did the first time)

A lot of people (me included) have been complaining how Tesla is wasting engineering resources (and MCU memory resources) on easter eggs when it'd be nice if they put even the smallest effort into fixing 3 or 4 year old audio player bugs. Well here seems to be a case where the easter eggs are directly having a negative effect on the audio player

• Helpful
Reactions: Lukez and KerryOH