Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

August Order Estimate Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
do most people get snow tires for their teslas in the snowy areas?
I think it really depends. A friend of mine drove his MY all winter last year when it was new (150 m round trip) and had no problems, he said. But then he got Nokian snow tires for this season, so maybe it wasn't quite as good as he implied. Where I live I'm a little bit of an outlier, even for my community. Road is plowed late (sometimes days later than the main roads). Just this week my neighbor's Audi spent the night stuck on our road. There's a foot of snow in my driveway because the plow hasn't been here for a day and a half.

So, yes. Different amounts and types of snow or ice. I have had (rare) slideoffs in several cars with all season tires, never with snow tires. You can usually adjust for conditions with all seasons, but you often have to drive much less aggressively with much less margin for error.

From what I've read, sudden regenerative braking causes the rear tires on Teslas to lock up, resulting in fishtailing in slick conditions. You can adjust by feathering the accelerator pedal, but good snow tires are going to reduce the likelihood of that happening much better.

Reactions: Oddmanout
EDD 1/6 - 1/20 - officially entering it today. No change this morning nor VIN appearing yet.
Socal. OD 8/8. Blue/Black 19" no Tow/FSD
You have the same build as me and the same EDD. My OD was 8/12. So. I guess it’s a race.
Entered my EDD window today 1/6-1/20. From past experience it’ll likely stay that way until tomorrow when it’ll either shift by a week or 2 or it’ll narrow. Still no VIN since they pulled the last one out from under me on the 26th
SA says they’re pretty confident in next week but of course they’ve been saying that for 2 weeks now.

Interesting. Here in Minneapolis, the average annual snow fall is 52". The average in Toronto is between 42-48" so they are pretty similar. I have never used snow tires in any of my cars. Unless Tesla is worse in the snow than my current Lexus 450 Rxh SUV, I will just use Tesla with its stock all season tires. Our streets are cleaned pretty good in the metro area so it might be worth checking out. I am just lazy to be doing the wheel change every year.
Same, I live outside Chicago and have never used snow tires.

Reactions: DrGriz