Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aussie Tesla Roadster competes in Global Green Challenge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

meloccom

Moderator Aus/NZ
Feb 11, 2008
Sydney Australia
As I mentioned in my post recently
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/tesla-roadster/2355-tesla-australia-4.html#post36955
Simon Hackett LINK the owner of the only Tesla Roadster in Australia (to my knowledge) has entered his roadster in the Global Green Challenge starting this Saturday in Darwin and driving directly south to Adelaide a mere 3,000 Km \ 1850 Miles through the red centre of Australia. Global Green Challenge / Route Maps
He has started a blog on his company web site here Internode Blog
Scroll to the bottom of the page for his first post and you can follow him and his team's journey over the next week.

My take was that the gas guzzlers were easiest to make the largest % improvement over rated economy by driving them conservatively.

For instance, based on the rules of this contest, if you got 15MPG from a car normally rated for 10MPG you would "win" over a team that got 50MPG from a car rated normally for 40MPG. (50% improvement vs 25% improvement.)

Keeping a big V8 at very low RPMs can make a big difference in fuel economy, but then you give up all the performance potential that is normally used in a car like that.