Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Austin or Freemont

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've read that the Austin built MY have both gigacasting (front and back), while the Freemont version has only the rear. Is there a way to ensure I get the one I want? Or does it depend on where you live in the US? (I live in the Northeast). Thanks

I've read that the Austin built MY have both gigacasting (front and back), while the Freemont version has only the rear.
While that may have been true for a hot minute when Austin was cranking out the “Model Y AWD” trim with the 4680 structural pack, I don’t believe that’s the case for any current Model Y on offer. There are no consequential differences between cars produced at the two factories.

Is there a way to ensure I get the one I want?
No, unless you want to go to a sales location and start decoding VINs of inventory cars.

They are identical currently between the two factories. Same battery, same castings. No current Model Y sold the US has front casting anymore. Austin now also builds the Performance as well.

I believe Quicksilver paint was initially only from the Austin factory but now that they added Quicksilver to Model S/X, that means Fremont now has the ability to paint Quicksilver. Not sure if Model Y uses the same paint line as S/X at Fremont though.

I've read that the Austin built MY have both gigacasting (front and back), while the Freemont version has only the rear. Is there a way to ensure I get the one I want? Or does it depend on where you live in the US? (I live in the Northeast). Thanks
Tesla had been cutting cost left and right. It would make no financial sense to build 2 different versions the same MY from 2 different factories. That's a logistic nightmare to keep track of all the different parts

The front and rear megacasts were used on MY AWD as test production run on that factory line in preparation for CyberTruck. The CT has really big front/rear casts with bigger 4680 structural battery pack, That's just like how MY AWD was assembled. I think MY AWD are "unicorns" as they are unique among the MY's.