Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
This may be off the threads topic, But not sure where else to post this. My model Y is making some strange noises, but I'm not sure if this is normal

But I picked up a tesla model Y Last week and yesterday on a road trip I noticed some rattling and wind whistling from the trunk near the back right of the car, I was sitting in the back right passenger seat.

This rattling is noticeable on freeways on slightly bumpy roads. For a bit of the journey there was some wind whistling noise accompanied with the rattling at infrequent intervals. Although the wind whistle was very quiet, but noticeable if you pay attention to it.

on the way back from the road trip, the wind whistle seemed to have ceased, but the rattling was still apparent at infrequent intervals on very slightly bumpy roads.

Another noise that seems absurd, is when the car is idle(park) and the AC is on, the car makes a slightly loud constant whine like sound that can be heard when standing outside that car and cannot be head in the interior, almost if a quiet generator is running. I get that there will probably be a noise in any car if the AC is on, but in my Model y it is loud, much louder than my other car (Mazda cx5)
This sound is similar to the sound that the car makes when preconditioning the battery for supercharging but quieter.

Are these sounds normal, and to be expected?
I assume someone who already has their car will be able to give more information. That said, have you seen the advice about winding the rubber bump stops inside the boot lid to adjust their closure distance? Apparently that has been necessary for some people. It might help with the rattle.

Wind whistling might be due to a misaligned panel, so I guess it is worth looking for that. One of the "problems" in EVs is that they are so quiet, which allows you to notice other noises that would normally be drowned out be the ICE engine.

You can expect noise from the AC compressor and the battery heat pump, even when idle, depending on what the car is set to be doing (cabin overheat protection, charging, etc). I can't say if what you are hearing is abnormally loud or not. I have been surprised by the AC noise (heard from outside) in the Kona EV. Again, I think it is because it is not competing with an engine noise. The Kona usually moves like a ghost*, so it is surprising when the ghost starts humming.

*Except in reverse, when the pedestrian warning gong is both too loud and unpleasant.

Reactions: bean2006
My EDD range changed from 18 June - July 8 to now June 25 - July 16 :( so sad…
When did you order? mine is also pushed back to the same range. I won't be in NSW for a couple of days during this range, hopefully when the delivery SMS comes it doesn't fall on those day as all my close friends are also overseas during this time

Last edited:
For ceramic coating, which product or shop do you recommend?

Once ceramic applied, how long does it last and whether it will need to be reapplied / maintain periodically?
***Update***

After much research and comparisons of durability, slickness, versatility, visual appeal and ease of application I have ordered GYEON Q2 MOHS EVO Light 50ml. This looks like a great all-rouder coating as it can be applied over the top of PPF, on you paintwork, and even on the Tesla matte/ satin induction wheels.

I have also ordered the GYEON Q2 TRIM 30ml to protect all exterior black plastic while keeping them looking clean and brand new.

Received my car yesterday (well, my neice picked it up for me as I'm os) , myrwd white/black/Gemini ordered 8/12/22. Built 21/4/23 original deliver window Feb to May 2023, Southport - gold coast delivery centre. My neice said staff tried to push her out the door quickly. I had given her an inspection checklist and they told her not to bother and she was wasting their time as the car has a warranty.

It's probably lucky I wasn't there as I wouldn't accept that sort of nonsense. We have a right to take reasonable care (and time) to ensure the car is in acceptable condition when taking delivery. I know we have a week to report defects but I will not be back in Australia until after the week has expired.

It was disappointing that I missed the unboxing and the treatment of my neice at delivery was unacceptable. For those who have waited longer than me I hope you get your vehicles soon.

Whilst I have hated the whole big red ribbon approach to car deliveries in the past at least those car makers a making an effort with regards to customer service. Tesla unfortunately has a lot to learn as customer service since ordering 7 months ago has been for the most part non existent.

Hi Paul,

Are you able to share the authorisation template with me? I will be overseas soon and my EDD now falls to those dates.
My Tesla rep never picks up the phone (voicemail all the time) or replies to my message so I have no one to confirm anything.

Oh same - mine changed again this morning. Fast-forwarded from June 25-July 16, guess it's a good news? I ordered end of April in Sydney Parramatta, pick up in Alexandria.
Screen Shot 2023-06-19 at 11.23.42 am.png

EDD changed this AM to June 23rd-July 14th. Sydney based. UGHhhh
Ordered 27/04. Vin assigned and all... I thought the car would be on Grand Eagle but maybe not. Is there a way to check this?
Much shorter wait than most people here, consider yourself blessed.

Check if your vehicle is entered into RAV, all cars on a boat are entered into RAV once the boat first visits port and unloads some cars. No RAV entry = no dock anywhere in AUS yet. Grand Eagle first docked in MEL so all cars on that ship are in RAV.

Reactions: Nrcl