Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My order is for MY RWD Blue/Black-White. I have been comparing RWD vs LR AWD in the last couple of days. I am leaning towards LR AWD now. Since 2013, I have bought a new car every year. All of them have been AWD. Currently I have a Palisade Highlander, previous Mazda CX9 Azami, Land-rover Discovery, Jeep Grand Cherokee, BMW X5 .......
Drive away price difference between RWD and LR AWD is about $17K. Apart from dual-motor AWD, the major difference between two cars is the battery; LFP vs NMC. There are pros and cons of both LFP and NMC batteries. I will talk to Tesla if they can re-assign me a LR and if they don't, I will cancel the current order and put a new order in for LR. Any thoughts....!
Note: I am planning to keep this car for at least 3 years.
Hi, my two cents worth. I had a MY RWD and I'd get about 320-340kms on the highway fully charged to zero. Feels a bit sluggish compared to a LR but like people say its starts to pull harder after 30-40ks... still fast enough to keep up with earlier 2000ish model V8 commodores. I"m expecting to get closer to 450+ with a LR on the highway as it has 20more KWH. RWD super charger max is about 170KW, LR is 250KW so on trips you can skip a charge stop and shave a couple minutes off the charge. After 1 year and about 30K kms (my experience) the degradation on the RWD vs a LR has been about the same 3-4%. For me the LR is more responsive, I tend to tow regularly and my wife doesn't complain so much supercharging on long trips :) . I've also found that if you order a RWD you'll get it a lot faster than LR... I know that from my experience a couple times now..... Hope this helps

Today, I have visited Mulgrave centre in Melbourne to see if I can get some insights or do something about reallocating.
Everyone was really apologetic about GC situation. I learned nothing new about quarantine. They did stressed that no delivery in 2023 will hurt their bonuses and financials.
Sat in the new model 3 and it is bloody nice. Still prefer MY or even next update.
They also said that they don't get a discount on the cars, but will get refreshed M3 before the customers. That's their bonus 😁

Reactions: Jules22
Hi, my two cents worth. I had a MY RWD and I'd get about 320-340kms on the highway fully charged to zero. Feels a bit sluggish compared to a LR but like people say its starts to pull harder after 30-40ks... still fast enough to keep up with earlier 2000ish model V8 commodores. I"m expecting to get closer to 450+ with a LR on the highway as it has 20more KWH. RWD super charger max is about 170KW, LR is 250KW so on trips you can skip a charge stop and shave a couple minutes off the charge. After 1 year and about 30K kms (my experience) the degradation on the RWD vs a LR has been about the same 3-4%. For me the LR is more responsive, I tend to tow regularly and my wife doesn't complain so much supercharging on long trips :) . I've also found that if you order a RWD you'll get it a lot faster than LR... I know that from my experience a couple times now..... Hope this helps
Thanks heaps for sharing your experience. :)

Today, I have visited Mulgrave centre in Melbourne to see if I can get some insights or do something about reallocating.
Everyone was really apologetic about GC situation. I learned nothing new about quarantine. They did stressed that no delivery in 2023 will hurt their bonuses and financials.
Sat in the new model 3 and it is bloody nice. Still prefer MY or even next update.
They also said that they don't get a discount on the cars, but will get refreshed M3 before the customers. That's their bonus 😁
Unfortunately, no Tesla rep can make this go any faster. They definitely could have reallocated shipments but then they'd have the mess of explaining to others that they're now on the Stinkship instead of getting their Y on schedule. It's a mess for sure.
Slowly giving up on getting a '23 model in 2023 🫠

Unfortunately, no Tesla rep can make this go any faster. They definitely could have reallocated shipments but then they'd have the mess of explaining to others that they're now on the Stinkship instead of getting their Y on schedule. It's a mess for sure.
Slowly giving up on getting a '23 model in 2023 🫠
Folks, hate to break this to the group but looks like Aussie maritime traffic has a few challenges in coming days. See the link from Nov 10 Cyber Attack incident on DP World ports in Australia. DP World Australia confirms employee data was stolen during cyber attack, warns of further freight delays ahead of Christmas rush - ABC News

Folks, hate to break this to the group but looks like Aussie maritime traffic has a few challenges in coming days. See the link from Nov 10 Cyber Attack incident on DP World ports in Australia. DP World Australia confirms employee data was stolen during cyber attack, warns of further freight delays ahead of Christmas rush - ABC News
ABC news love a good scare and fear story, especially when they are just regurgitating another sources story, Becoming more like the others every day. It’s rampant on X.

They are “reporting” on a story from an interview with “the business” key words are

- unknown hackers
- probably Russian but don’t know
- unions organising strikes
- will slow down freight before Xmas and inconvenience you the longer the nasty unions take
- the industrial action was taking place before the cyber attacks, so how is it linked?

IMG_7337.jpeg

Cyberattacks happen everyday, and who is responsible for protecting against them? Going by what they say was stolen, it was very little, less than Optus or medibank breaches.

So the ABC is trying to link your Christmas presents and national supply chain delays (effect) with union action (cause) due to cyber attacks (external mitigation) but the cause happened before the mitigation. Riiight..

So it’s two separate stories, right?
They had a dispute about pay and wages before the cyber incident. The cyber incident caused the ports to shutdown for 2 days, causing a backlog. Continuing the dispute after the backlog was cleared might cause another backlog?

Besides, port industrial action can only affect GC if it actually comes back to port to unload your cars hahaha

Aren’t there internal superchargers at all delivery centres? It seems weird that they would make it that you couldn’t even drive home from the area. I’m picking mine up on Thursday and I wouldn’t leave until they brought it up to enough to get me home according to the nav. On top of that, anything below 20% is terrible for the battery.
I guess 9% was enough to get it home - but still, you'd think at least a quarter full would be minimum. Let us know how you go when you do your pickup

Reactions: syvergy
Hmm the Don Juan was on the way in, and seems to have turned around, and is heading out again...

View attachment 994468

The port movement reports it's going back out to the outer anchorage area (where it spent the last couple of days). No listing for when it's coming back.

View attachment 994470
What could go wrong!! If this delay is post Xmas. I’m cancelling and looking at a BYD, it’s just getting a bit ridiculous now.

I guess 9% was enough to get it home - but still, you'd think at least a quarter full would be minimum. Let us know how you go when you do your pickup

As Part of the delivery Inspection you should test out the Charging system. Might not be possible if the car is at 100% but any others then i will plug it into one of there Fast Chargers and let it run for a bit while you do other Checks. Hit them up to pay for the charge as you haven't taken delivery of the Car Yet.
At lest get it to 70-80 %

Not having scrolled back to check for myself, are you sure it was a reliable 'eye witness'? There has been a troll spotted recently...
Hey mate, yes I was the reliable eye witness.

I was at Fisherman Island when GC first arrived in October. My Y was on the boat so I went and had a look. Can confirmed there was Teslas and non-Teslas (I saw Isuzu Utes or at least some kinda of utes). Others that were there saw Hyundais but I may have missed it when I was there at the time (around 6ish)

I watched at least 15 or 20ish Y unloaded before I left. Luckily for me, one of them was mine.

Hey mate, yes I was the reliable eye witness.

I was at Fisherman Island when GC first arrived in October. My Y was on the boat so I went and had a look. Can confirmed there was Teslas and non-Teslas (I saw Isuzu Utes or at least some kinda of utes). Others that were there saw Hyundais but I may have missed it when I was there at the time (around 6ish)

I watched at least 15 or 20ish Y unloaded before I left. Luckily for me, one of them was mine.
Super lucky and congratulations on escaping the Stinkship before this whole mess went down.
They are probably busy filling a boat up with Silver/White/20 MY to swap with GC
Mate I've been seeing so many silver/white/20s on the road now it's like they're tempting me. Honestly they look good I'm just being a stubborn grumpy ass. 😎

Reactions: dronus
Frustrating hey?.. can you imagine what us been thru knowing ours are in GC! We are strong now! You need to be stronger.. 💪😝
LOL! my inital car was/is on the GC, i got over the waiting thing, so swapped to a grey car. this could only ever happen to me!! #firstworldproblems

seems there is an update now

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-27 124729 x.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-27 124729 x.png
    4.9 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Reactions: Simon Roberts