Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all. I've been lurking on here since I ordered my Model Y on 27/11. Happy to see a resolution playing out for those that were stuck on GC!

I was assigned a VIN today (for the first time) for my MY RWD, white/19"/white, est. DD Jan 20 - Feb 10, Gold Coast delivery.
VIN is 186XXX
Have I just been reassigned a vehicle from GC?
Looks like that is a glovis car

Reactions: RichY3
I've also been lurking on here since I ordered my Model Y (RWD, blue/19"/black) on 15/12.

I was assigned a VIN yesterday, est. DD Feb, Sydney.
VIN is 189XXX
Looking it up on RAV has a "RAV Date of Entry" of 07/11/2023
Seems like I've also got one of the old GC cars 😬

So if you get a VIN that ends in PC18xxxxx you have been assigned an ex-Glovis Caravel car.
From what I've heard from another person who has been assigned a GC car, there's nothing you can do. You can cancel and wait for the GC stock to be assigned and then reorder or accept the car. Tesla assured them that all VINs being assigned were inspected back in Shanghai before being available for purchase again. I also heard that the batteries arrived back in Shanghai with 30-40% charge. I don't know how much they had on departure originally.

Reactions: MrPinkyMalinky
So if you get a VIN that ends in PC18xxxxx you have been assigned an ex-Glovis Caravel car.
From what I've heard from another person who has been assigned a GC car, there's nothing you can do. You can cancel and wait for the GC stock to be assigned and then reorder or accept the car. Tesla assured them that all VINs being assigned were inspected back in Shanghai before being available for purchase again. I also heard that the batteries arrived back in Shanghai with 30-40% charge. I don't know how much they had on departure originally.
As of a few days ago my car had 38% charge according to the Tesla rep who rang me, there is a bucket load of Model Y's of all grades in inventory now but prices are more than when I purchased so I'm holding on to my order.
As long as it's clean of stink bugs and the ship whatever one it is coming on is also free of bugs I'll accept my order. Not much point reordering and paying thousands more.

Reactions: Tony Soprano
You're right. I spoke with Tesla 30 minutes ago and they advised that the cars were inspected and they wouldn't be reassigning VINs if there were any faults. Original GC customers were reassigned newer vehicles as they were next in line for cars and this was the only way Tesla could fulfil their orders first. Now the next batch of 'new' cars (ex-GC vehicles) are being assigned to the people next in line (myself and a few others that have received 18XXXX VINs).

For those with these VINs, I just received an email from Tesla advising my vehicle is on the LAPIS ARROW.

Reactions: Billylid
I’m guessing this could be the Lapis Arrow based on the schedule matching MC and Paganella, dates also kind of align. Obv there’s a big gap between Brisbane and PK but this page should update later today (currently last Friday’s data)
IMG_2029.jpeg

Thanks for all the contributions to this thread, it's been very helpful.
I ordered MYRWD white with black interior on 24 Nov 2023. Was on the Glovis, EDD kept getting pushed back but on the 10th of Jan (or 11th) I got assigned a RC3705% VIN which has a build date of 09/01/2024 with a current EDD 16Feb - 8Mar.
I haven't been told which ship it's on but hoping it's on the Paganella.

I was wondering what would happen with the GC cars and it looks like they're going to new customers. At one point we were putting forward an idea (ie complaining 😅) that Tesla should send new batches to GC affected people as we've been in the queue since August and then reassign the GC vehicles at a discount when they are actually in Australia.

Tesla has gone forward with this (kind of) as they're assigning GC cars, but still doing it when the cars are not actually here yet!
Let's hope there's no more quarantine issues.

Thanks for all the contributions to this thread, it's been very helpful.
I ordered MYRWD white with black interior on 24 Nov 2023. Was on the Glovis, EDD kept getting pushed back but on the 10th of Jan (or 11th) I got assigned a RC3705% VIN which has a build date of 09/01/2024 with a current EDD 16Feb - 8Mar.
I haven't been told which ship it's on but hoping it's on the Paganella.
That’s the same EDD as me and they confirmed Paganella for my order (1 December) - I got a new vin annd my paperwork says MY24.

Having a look tho it says it’s due to dock in PK 28 Jan - so hopefully that EDD is just a very conservative estimate

Are you a NSW/ACT order?

Attachments

• IMG_3746.jpeg
    IMG_3746.jpeg
    97.7 KB · Views: 19
That’s the same EDD as me and they confirmed Paganella for my order (1 December) - I got a new vin annd my paperwork says MY24.

Having a look tho it says it’s due to dock in PK 28 Jan - so hopefully that EDD is just a very conservative estimate

Are you a NSW/ACT order?
Yep, I'm from Sydney so should be pick up at Alexandria. And yes, any earlier delivery date will definitely be welcomed

I’m guessing this could be the Lapis Arrow based on the schedule matching MC and Paganella, dates also kind of align. Obv there’s a big gap between Brisbane and PK but this page should update later today (currently last Friday’s data)
View attachment 1010222

I didn't see it in the schedule table posted earlier. Do we know more about this one?

That schedule only lists Armacup vessels - which are like a regularly scheduled ferry service that multiple manufacturers can book deck space on.
Usually 300-1000 Teslas at a time.

Tesla also use regularly scheduled Mol Ace vessels for the same purpose - mostly to WA, and some to the East Coast. These have the benefit of being able to search their website for your VIN and get the itinerary.

Often referred to as "the RoRo site" but RoRo refers to the vehicle carrier ships (roll on / roll off) in general.

And finally Tesla occasionally charter a vessel and fill the whole thing with Teslas. That was the case of Glovis Caravel, and it had many thousands of Model Ys on board.

Rather than try and find deck space for all the Glovis Caravel cars on the regularly scheduled vessels it makes sense for Tesla to have chartered another one for themselves - in this case Lapis Arrow.

I can't find much info about it, but at least 9 years ago it was owned by Kawasaki Kisen Kaisha, Ltd. ("K" Line)

I was wondering what would happen with the GC cars and it looks like they're going to new customers. At one point we were putting forward an idea (ie complaining 😅) that Tesla should send new batches to GC affected people as we've been in the queue since August and then reassign the GC vehicles at a discount when they are actually in Australia.

Tesla has gone forward with this (kind of) as they're assigning GC cars, but still doing it when the cars are not actually here yet!
Let's hope there's no more quarantine issues.
When GC was denied entry by DAFF, Someone suggested that Tesla might not allocate new cars to us and we were stuck with GC cars. Thankfully, that didn't happen. 🤣