Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto climate fan over-ride

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

rbcopod

‘22 MYLR MSM FSD
Oct 28, 2021
South Florida
When in the auto climate mode we are now able to select a fan speed (low, medium, high). This over-rides the auto fan speed selection. If one wants to return to full auto mode, and have the fan speed controlled by the regular auto mode, how does one un-select the fan speed back to auto? Can‘t figure it out. Thanks.

I would love this option as well but I have a feeling we have to choose from the lo/med/hi. If you put it in dog mode or keep climate on mode, it removes the fan speed option and goes into ‘full’ auto mode. Perhaps in a future update we’ll be able to have fan speed be auto too.

Reactions: rbcopod
Upvote 0
Yea, this is obtuse since a manual auto is an oxymoron. Now it seems you are stuck with having to manually adjust your fan speed when you select Auto. Had precondition on in the cold and get in car with fan blowing on high. Press brake to drive and fan goes into manual med mode while it is still cold. How stupid is that? Guess Tesla needs to rename it Not an Auto. Hope this is corrected in an update.

Upvote 0
Regardless if it’s a feature in other vehicles, if you are overriding the fan speed, it’s no longer in auto. The fan speed should automatically adjust to maintain the selected temperature in an auto mode. I like the idea that you can override control of the fan speed to essentially control the rate that the cabin arrives at the selected temperature. However, I wish you could also return to the regular auto mode and have the fan speed return to being regulated by the temperature. It would logically occur by repressing the auto button. Maybe a future update could add this feature.

Reactions: Benito1283
Upvote 0
Regardless if it’s a feature in other vehicles, if you are overriding the fan speed, it’s no longer in auto. The fan speed should automatically adjust to maintain the selected temperature in an auto mode. I like the idea that you can override control of the fan speed to essentially control the rate that the cabin arrives at the selected temperature. However, I wish you could also return to the regular auto mode and have the fan speed return to being regulated by the temperature. It would logically occur by repressing the auto button. Maybe a future update could add this feature.
You realize the fan speed is still auto adjusting within each of the low medium and high settings? This is an auto mode: some like faster overall fan speeds some like slower fan speeds. It’s still auto. You can go full manual and select which fan speed number you want as well.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
Upvote 0
Not adjusting for me. Once it’s on high or medium it stays and doesn’t ever get quiet even after the temperature goal is achieved.
Just double checked and yes, fan auto adjusts in each mode (low medium high). It’s still an auto mode, just a fan speed behavior profile. For instance, even in low the fan will go very fast for a couple minutes then drop down.

Upvote 0
If that’s the case it will be great and I am grateful for your help! I’ll try setting it and wait a bit longer to see it adjust. My experience so far is it just sits on medium or high and never quiets down. I like speeding up the process to cool down or warm up, but then I tire of the noise.

Thanks for helping me.

Upvote 0
You’re talking about different things. LoL-Gas is saying it will adjust the fan speed WITHIN the low, med, or hi modes. As in, it always stays on low, but it will increase or decrease it slightly within that setting. He’s not saying it will change the speed mode.

I also think it changes the temp of air coming out of the vent as you change the temp. This helps keeps fan speed the same while reaching set temp sooner. If you listen closely when you change the temp you’ll see what I mean. There’s a change in sound but it’s not the fan speed.

I do wish it would allow “full” auto like before and totally decide fan speed on its own, but I prefer the new option to the old. I almost always just leave it on Auto and low fan speed, unless I’m really hot or really cold. But if temps are extreme I usually precondition cabin so low is fine by the time I get in.

Upvote 0
I believe after my car updated, the full auto default was Medium and what I assume is the "pre update" behavior. Now, if you would rather the system use lower overall fan speeds, or higher overall fan speeds, you can tell it that. Otherwise, set it to Medium for normal and what you may be used to prior to the update.

Upvote 0
Wow, my experiences are quite different, as is how I think about this. I see fan speed and temperature as 2 different things. The A/C system can be more hot or more cold, regardless of the fan speed. This is how every prior car I ever had worked, as well. Before the recent software upgrade, on Auto, the fan speed was fully controlled by the car, based on whether the car was yet at the desired temperature. So, higher fan at first, and lower fan for temperature maintenance, if conditions (outdoor temperature) allowed it.

After the upgrade, the user could now change the fan speed--just with 3 selections of low, medium, or high--while still keeping the temperature control on Auto.

In my car, I try to use this, but it's of no value, because I like a lot of air at times, even if the temperature is about right, but even when I turn it to High, the air flow is minimal. I then turn off the Auto to see where the fan is, and it's usually at 3 or 4. High? Not.

Also for me, when go between Auto on and Auto off, the fan speed returns to the number 1 - 10, so I am surprised to read that for other folks it stays as Low, Medium, High, and will not automatically adjust.

Upvote 0