Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto lane change on FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wish I could decrease the required steering torque. If it required just the minimal torque to detect that the driver holds the wheel, that would be a great improvement. As it is now, it is too much.

Of course, other methods to detect driver attention could also be an improvement, but I think, torque would be quite OK, if it wouldn't require as much torque as it does now.

Hack the sensor, someone? As long as it reliably detects the driver's hand, why not?
I have long thought that touch sensors in the steering wheel rim would be a much better solution for driver detection. Then you could hold the wheel without having to apply torque, which is really quite irritating after a while.

Reactions: hgmichna and Cardo
It is believed that Tesla are evaluating doing it the 'proper way', with a vision based solution. The best vision based solutions can detect all sorts of nuances about the state of the driver, even when facial features are partially covered. I suspect though that the Tesla system will be compromised, not least that the interior camera is not in current Model S and X, but partly because it is likely to have been an after thought and the true purpose of the interior camera was to detect which robocab passenger threw up.