Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Lane Change With Vinyl Wrap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had my model 3 wrapped almost day 1 and have been having issues with auto lane changes. I just asked the service center about it and they mentioned the vinyl wrap could be causing the issues. Basically what happens is that I initiate the lane change and it'll start to go, and then suddenly come back for no apparent reason (checked to see if cars were approaching). Also, sometimes it'll just keep going straight and never attempt to change lanes. Seems to make sense that the vinyl wrap is interfering with the ultrasonic sensors, but the guy who did the wrap said it won't be a problem. Guess I'll go back and have him cut out some holes, but wanted to check with others to ensure this is really the problem before making unnecessary cutouts in the wrap (it's going to look strange).

I think it's more likely that he knocked a camera out of alignment while applying the wrap. Are both side cameras positioned correctly?

I have had a similar thing happen to me in the past (No wrap), and I believe it was because cameras were in disagreement about lane change completion percentage.

With enough time, the problem completely went away. If nothing else you could try having your camera's re-calibrated by the service center before cutting into your wrap!

I think it's more likely that he knocked a camera out of alignment while applying the wrap. Are both side cameras positioned correctly?

I have had a similar thing happen to me in the past (No wrap), and I believe it was because cameras were in disagreement about lane change completion percentage.

With enough time, the problem completely went away. If nothing else you could try having your camera's re-calibrated by the service center before cutting into your wrap!

Telsa told me it wasn't the cameras- it was the ultrasonic sensors. And they won't look at the issue because of the wrap. Also, the wrap does not effect the cameras at all.

Before you cut off the vinyl from the sensors, you might want to explore other avenues as the problem. I've had my car back for a couple days from getting a full 3M Satin Dark Gray vinyl wrap with Ceramic Pro PPF & Vinyl + Top Coat and have had zero issues with parking distance indications, NOA, and not a single auto lane change abort or failure. As someone else mentioned, maybe one got damaged or is loose in its mount. I had a failed left front ultrasonic sensor at delivery (pre-wrap) that I think was just loose as it's mount was damaged/broken and you could easily push the sensor into the fender well by wiping a cloth over it. I wasn't able to do an auto lane change or use NOA until that was fixed. Tesla Support did a remote diagnostic on my car and identified the sensor as failed and set up a service appointment to replace it. Maybe contact them for a diagnostic and see what the car's logs show to find out what is going on. Good luck.