Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto park scrapped rear bumper on curb

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suspect this was caused by the combination of auto park, air suspension and summon.

The story:
I backed my car half way into an uncovered parking spot. I’ve been only using auto park in my home garage so I thought I’d try auto park to get comfortable using it in public parking spaces. Not that it matters in this case but I already aligned the car so it only needed to back straight in there and stop at the curb.
It almost went onto the curb, only stopped because the rear wheels hit the curb and got stuck. The rear bumper already hit the plants on the curb. I didn’t hear any crashing sound so I was only worried about the tires being pushed against the curb. So I used summon to move the car forward just a bit. That was when I heard a heavy scraping noise from the rear bumper. Up on close inspection it looked like the bottom of the rear bumper just shaved a chunk of the grass off the curb, also leaving some plastic scraping marks on the curb. This looks like the rear bumper was sitting on the curb and scraping it the whole time when the car was moving forward in summon mode. What surprised me is that if the rear bumper was already that low during parking then it would have hit the curb and got crushed already. So I’m suspecting the air suspension lowered the car at the end of the auto park and didn’t restore it back to the original height before driving forward under summon.

Fortunately the bumper itself only has very minor scratch marks and a bunch of grass stuck around the rim of the plastic cover for the hitch mount.

upload_2020-9-2_13-41-1.png