Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Park, Working?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jpfive

Supporting Member
Oct 31, 2019
Pensacola, FL
I read up on the auto park function in the owners manual before driving downtown to try it out. I couldn't get it to work. The park icon would never come up. I have FSD, and the latest firmware update. Is it functional, or awaiting a future software update? Now that I think about it, I was using the signal lights to indicate my intention to parallel park. Could that have cancelled the system? In both cases I had closely following cars, so I am in the happen of signalling so that they back off to allow me space to back into the slot. Guess I'll need to try it without the signal lever to be sure.

It works. Well. I've used it hundreds of times. For parallel parking, you need to pull past the spot perhaps a foot or three more than you normally would, signal, and then put it in reverse, and the auto park option should show up. You'll need a car on both ends and a well defined curb. To back it into space between two other cars, get yourself more or less set up to do so as you would normally, put it in reverse, and the autro park option should show up. Always monitor what's going on, and be prepared to intervene. I've never needed to, but I still can't totally trust it.

Reactions: CrayZ1
It works. Well. I've used it hundreds of times. For parallel parking, you need to pull past the spot perhaps a foot or three more than you normally would, signal, and then put it in reverse, and the auto park option should show up. You'll need a car on both ends and a well defined curb. To back it into space between two other cars, get yourself more or less set up to do so as you would normally, put it in reverse, and the autro park option should show up. Always monitor what's going on, and be prepared to intervene. I've never needed to, but I still can't totally trust it.

Two helpful, informative replies. Love this forum. Thanks guys.

I think that I might have signalled in the wrong sequence. I did so before driving past the space, because of closely following traffic. But, if I understand correctly you should signal once you have stopped? Before or after shifting into reverse? For some reason this capability has always spooked me a little. My Cadillac XTS had the feature also, but I rarely got it to work.

You don’t have to signal for auto park to work, but it’s helpful for cars behind you to know you’re parking. It is more about the positioning relative to the space as the cameras and sensors are used to figure out if the auto park can engage and complete the maneuver.

• Informative
Reactions: jpfive
Is ‘Auto Park’ only included with Full Self-Driving?
Kind of a trick question. It depends. If you have a (roughly) 2018 car with EAP, it's got auto parking (without needing FSD). If you have a 2019 or newer car with only AP, no autopark unless you add the FSD package. I don't remember the exact cutoff demarcation for EAP and AP cars, hence my "roughly".

Reactions: house9
I usually drive about 2 feet away from the front (side if parallel) of the two vehicles, then with the rear end even with the front (lead) vehicle going fairly slowly ~(2 mph) watch for the P on the screen by the side of your car icon. Press the P and follow directions. It took me some time to get it to work initially, but once I got it going it is actually quite easy. I have not tried it with parallel parking, just horizontal back in parking. Puts my car right in the middle of the two others.
Remember, there must be two vehicles and a space between them for it to work.