Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

auto pilot 1.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have AP1 cars and it will pop up a little "P" when auto parallel park is available. It's VERY finicky though and we rarely see it in situations where it would be useful and see it quite often when slowing to a stop in the middle of two or three lanes where it seems to think we can fit places it wouldn't even be remotely possible. So, it's there but don't be surprised if you don't get the option when you'd like/need it.

It is described in the manual available on your main screen. I believe you have to be driving under 15-20mph or so, and a P will appear when it detects a parallel parking spot which you have to tap. Further instructions will appear on the screen. It only prompts you with the P around 75% of the time.

It is described in the manual available on your main screen. I believe you have to be driving under 15-20mph or so, and a P will appear when it detects a parallel parking spot which you have to tap. Further instructions will appear on the screen. It only prompts you with the P around 75% of the time.

In our case the slower we're going the better luck we're having and I think the times we've seen it we've been going under 5mph or nearly stopped. Our success rate is much lower than 75% of the time and I think often it has to do with a curb not being present. I'm not sure though because at times we'll be sitting at a red light in three lanes of traffic and the "P" will come up on one side or the other and when I turn to look there's cars backed up and no way in hell could it park us where it seems to think it can.

In our case the slower we're going the better luck we're having and I think the times we've seen it we've been going under 5mph or nearly stopped. Our success rate is much lower than 75% of the time and I think often it has to do with a curb not being present. I'm not sure though because at times we'll be sitting at a red light in three lanes of traffic and the "P" will come up on one side or the other and when I turn to look there's cars backed up and no way in hell could it park us where it seems to think it can.

Yes, I notice that sometimes as well, and wonder what it would end up doing if I let it try to “park” there.