Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Uk enhanced autopilot changed??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even when I one hand it, I still need to give it a tug when it starts flashing. A bit annoying but ultimately I still find this better than not having autopilot on at all.
I think having a dash in front of you would help so the warning is in your line of sight.

I've used it on longer motorway trips as they tend not to have the tight corners some of our A road dual carriageways have.

Still an annoyance.

10 to 2 if your problem here.

The torque at 10 is countering the torque at 2 resulting in no torque and a warning.
You have to admit, it is a bit poor, making a system that can not detect you holding the steeringwheel in the position, where it is safest. (Atleast that's what i was taught when i took my license)

I dont even hold it at 10-2, i just hold it at around 10 and rest my arm on the door, but still i have to constantly give it a bit of a tug (The steering wheel that is :) ) to avoid the car beeping or flashing blue at me.

If someone made an aftermarket capacitive steering wheel that worked i would probably have order number "1" on the invoice.

I think having a dash in front of you would help so the warning is in your line of sight.

I've used it on longer motorway trips as they tend not to have the tight corners some of our A road dual carriageways have.

Still an annoyance.
I can notice the flashing pulsing blue when it starts to warn you so not had that problem. Also glance across at the screen on and off, like I do my rear view mirror just so I'm aware of what's infront, behind and anything the car might be trying to warn me.

Reactions: Durzel and MrBadger
While you can consider it that way, you can also think that if certain Tesla owners keep using AutoPilot in an inappropriate and dangerous way then regulators are likely to enforce their own controls that are likely to be less desirable.

Yes, having to keep my eyes on the road in a car that was supposed to have self driving is annoying, but those are the regulations and TBH I was probably looking away a bit much. We seem to be going through a period where regulations are becoming intrusive with speed limit bongs, lane guidance bongs etc. but if anything Tesla are doing better at minimising this than some other manufacturers. Our Leaf drives me insane on country lanes as it complains about my driving position constantly.
A BMW i3 I had previous to my 3 had “traffic jam assist” that would only work on a motorway or significant A road (seemed to be random which ones it would work on), below 30mph - or maybe even less. I could never understand why it wouldn’t let me use this feature in traffic jams elsewhere.

I prefer the “let people decide for themselves what’s safe or not” attitude that Tesla have with AP by comparison.

To flip the argument on its head - why should I have to be artificially constrained because some drivers are incapable of behaving properly? The BMW would stop me from even using a feature at all, treating me like a child, whereas Tesla allow it and have a strike system as a regulatory tool. The latter feels better to me.

To flip the argument on its head - why should I have to be artificially constrained because some drivers are incapable of behaving properly?
That is litterally how all laws work. Its the "This is why we can't have nice things" principal.
If I gave YOU a gun you probably wouldn't go on a shooting spree. Does that mean we should get rid of the gun laws.

(to anyone from the US who has accidently strayed onto here and or not noticed they are on the UK forum please feel free not to comment on the above strawman argument. it was not for you)

Reactions: M1tch
I can notice the flashing pulsing blue when it starts to warn you so not had that problem. Also glance across at the screen on and off, like I do my rear view mirror just so I'm aware of what's infront, behind and anything the car might be trying to warn me.
My glances at the screen are for checking speed and the warning would have to be timed just right as I don't look that often as it's not really necessary.

When trying to get it recognise a 'bit' of torque steer I've cancelled autopilot far too often.

Just doesn't work all too well for me.

That is litterally how all laws work. Its the "This is why we can't have nice things" principal.
If I gave YOU a gun you probably wouldn't go on a shooting spree. Does that mean we should get rid of the gun laws.

(to anyone from the US who has accidently strayed onto here and or not noticed they are on the UK forum please feel free not to comment on the above strawman argument. it was not for you)
In a car sense this could be like remote start of ICE engines. Land Rover and Volvo will allow you to do this in the UK even though it's illegal if you are parked on public roads because it's not illegal on your own driveway or private carparks. BMW on the other hand have this capability in the US for instance but it's disabled in the UK because it is illegal when used incorrectly.

Of course it's illegal to drive over 70mph but they allow that...

I'm with @Durzel on this. We should be able to make the choices ourselves. You can go on a killing spree with a knife but you can go into a lot of shops and pick up a nice set for your kitchen. I think it's fine for us to let people make a decision on when to use or not use Autopilot for instance.

Reactions: Durzel
My glances at the screen are for checking speed and the warning would have to be timed just right as I don't look that often as it's not really necessary.

When trying to get it recognise a 'bit' of torque steer I've cancelled autopilot far too often.

Just doesn't work all too well for me.
That's another gripe with this system

Sometimes it will drive for minutes without warning, then it will start warning me and sometimes i only have to look at the steeringwheel sternly and it will detect hand on but sometimes i end up breaking it out of AP to be able to convince it, i have my hand on the steeringwheel.

The fluctuating amount of torque you need to apply is beyond frustrating.

I have more than once given it a small tug, no detection, then a more firm tug, no detection and then in desperation, literally had to break it out of AP and the car would veer slightly off course because of the steering input i made.

Desperation because i know, when the screen starts flashing blue faster i am close to a strike.

And dont get me started again on the "Speed limit on the motorway is 130 KPH, the max autosteer will do is 140 and i have to do 134 on the speedo, to be doing 130 truely, so 7 kph is the difference between indicated speed and forced disconnect and a strike"...

• Funny
Reactions: Roy Batty

But this argument presupposes that what Tesla currently offer is not actually legal.

My point was that other manufacturers err of the side of caution, disproportionately so in my opinion. There hasn't (to my knowledge) been endless crashes on AP, to the point where it's ended up having to be made lilegal, so I'd rather be given that latitude to decide when I can activate AP, even on inappropriate roads, than have the manufacturer decide for me and just straight up disable the functionality on any road they deem unsuitable.

I'm remined of the way the leaf made you accept the privacy dialog every time you got in the car.. their argument was someone else might drive the car so their lawyers insisted.

Some companies are very risk averse. Up till now Tesla have been something of the opposite, especially in the US, but this system of nonexpiring strikes shows that this is changing.