Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Uk enhanced autopilot changed??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hmmm.. talking about strikes - does anyone know:
1) How long does the single strikes lasts? Does it go away after certain period of time or it is there forever and ever?
2) if you collect 5 strikes - they take AP away. Is it permanent removal of the feature or you are forced to sit out like a week or so?

When you get a strike it will tell you "This is strike X of 5, if you get 5 you will lose AP for approximately a week"

Seems like a strike has no expiry, so if you get 1 a year, when you get the fifth after 5 years, you will be without AP for a week. (If these strikes had an expiry of....for example 3 months it would be better).

I have 2 strikes now, use the car a lot, but this summer we are going on a 2 week holiday, the car will be at the airport for 2 weeks, so if i get another strike so that i have 3, i think i will force the fourth and fifth on the way to the airport so that the car can sit in the airport for 2 weeks, resetting the timer.

Only thing i haven't heard is....Will the timer reset but next time you only have 3 strikes for example or will it always be every fifth strike you get a week in the naughty corner

PS. Have not had a single strike since i covered the camera, so i am probably just going to continue with that approach....Atleast until Tesla makes another update that defeats that "trick".

When you get a strike it will tell you "This is strike X of 5, if you get 5 you will lose AP for approximately a week"

Seems like a strike has no expiry, so if you get 1 a year, when you get the fifth after 5 years, you will be without AP for a week. (If these strikes had an expiry of....for example 3 months it would be better).

I have 2 strikes now, use the car a lot, but this summer we are going on a 2 week holiday, the car will be at the airport for 2 weeks, so if i get another strike so that i have 3, i think i will force the fourth and fifth on the way to the airport so that the car can sit in the airport for 2 weeks, resetting the timer.

Only thing i haven't heard is....Will the timer reset but next time you only have 3 strikes for example or will it always be every fifth strike you get a week in the naughty corner

PS. Have not had a single strike since i covered the camera, so i am probably just going to continue with that approach....Atleast until Tesla makes another update that defeats that "trick".
If you look at the service menu, when you cover the camera and start the car, it actually tells that "camera failed to initiate" :)
i have been using camera cover for more than a year now :)

I got my strike with the camera covered. My crime wasn’t looking away. It was because I wasn’t holding the wheel in a way the car wanted me to.
heh.

what annoys me, that if I hold steering wheel on the right side (side window), it is all good. but if I hold it with 2 hands or on the left side (screen), sometimes it thinks I am not holding it (cannot sense the torque?) and I get blue flashes... like wtf

I got my strike with the camera covered. My crime wasn’t looking away. It was because I wasn’t holding the wheel in a way the car wanted me to.
Yeah i find the amount of torque you have to apply to the steering wheel to prove you are holding it, is sometimes too much and it also seems to vary wildly...Sometimes i barely need to move it and sometimes i have to wrestle the steeringwheel to the point of breaking it out of AP to get it to stop flashing blue and acknowledge that i am holding the steering wheel.

Why they did not opt for a capasitive sensing steering wheel instead is strange.

I usually hold the steering wheel, resting my arm in the window and i have to apply an unnatural amount of force to the steering wheel to stop it thinking i am not holding it.

The whole idea should be that it was not needed to use "force" while the car is driving itself.

The single greatest thing i got when i got a car with cruise control was the fact that i got rid of getting cramps in my foot from having to apply force to the accelerator, but could rest my foot next to the accelerator instead.

Imagine if Tesla said "From now on, you need to still have your foot on the accelerator and press it down to prove your foot is on the accelerator".

It would totally defeat the main advantage of CC.

If you're driving with gloves in 2024, you deserve every single nag Tesla AP can throw at you :D
Some Canadians and Norwegians might disagree with you.

And Alan

1712151247619.png

Reactions: Cooker
Do they not know the steering wheel is heated. ?
I'm pretty sure they will know all sorts of things. It can also be so cold that they keep their gloves on at least while it warms up. Stop being so ridiculous.

There are lots of other scenarios that take very little imagination where a capacitive steering wheel would be a poor scenario, people with accessibility aids, bandages on hands, guitar players, people with dry skin etc (Zombie Finger and Touchscreens - Consumer Reports).

I'm pretty sure they will know all sorts of things. It can also be so cold that they keep their gloves on at least while it warms up. Stop being so ridiculous.

There are lots of other scenarios that take very little imagination where a capacitive steering wheel would be a poor scenario, people with accessibility aids, bandages on hands, guitar players, people with dry skin etc (Zombie Finger and Touchscreens - Consumer Reports).
poor BMW then I suppose?

They need to have a timeout on the strikes, I don't agree with this in general but if say the strikes were for 1 - 2 weeks before they timed out could be more reasonable.

Don't do massive miles but not had an issue with this yet or a strike. Can do stuff on the touch screen fine, if it's a longer running operation then you look at screen but then back at the road reasonably often as you really should do.

Wear glasses but can imagine with some types that could cause issues seeing where the eyes are looking for sure so Tesla will need some solution for that.

I'd say it's still likely cost and also that the steering wheel tugging is a problem they don't expect to exist for ever because the camera will become good enough that you will be allowed hands off the wheel. Not saying the camera they have or the software they produce will get them there, I don't know but I feel like it's the likely reason that they installed the interior camera in the first place.

Last edited: