Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Pilot Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a standard commute that involves 40 miles of freeway driving in San Diego everyday. Needless to say what a out-of-the-world experience it is to drive almost hands-free (my only fear is if other drivers freak out and crash into me seeing me enjoy my drive so much). Because I drive on the same route everyday, I am observing a few things that I want to share. It would be great if some of my fellow teslians (what would be a better word that describe this clan?) can tell me if this is unique to my experience or they have noticed similar things. Here are some observations that I can almost repeat:

1. When there is a sharp shadow (San Diego is very sunny almost everyday) of an over-bridge on the freeway, my car almost crash brakes momentarily before it recognizes that it is a shadow. Happened to me on at least 6 or 7 different occasions, 3 times under the same bridge (so far I have driven the car about 60 days).

2. When a road (not freeway) veers to the right and there are parked cars, the collision alerts goes off (happened about 3 or 4 times).

3. Whenever I drive on Freeway 56 West (location: 32.955731, -117.148467), the car takes the exit (Camino del Sur) 100% of the time. I see many other m3 on that road. Did anyone else have had the same experience?

Needless to say these issues are really minor compared to the benefits autopilot offers. It would be nice to know if this is unique to my car. Thanks in advance for your input.

#1 and #3 sound pretty normal based on what I've read - I haven't used autopilot enough to experience similar situations myself yet.
#2 - I turned off early collision warning because it seems sensitive even without autopilot. I've gotten it a few times due to parked cars on a curve or during normal braking when approaching a stopped car at the light.

• Helpful
Reactions: Sooby@sdsu
Can you check if the car does the same in the same place/same sun/shadows with AP turned off on #1?

Because most folks description of that event sounds more like AEB than AP (car slows down quickly by roughly 25mph then stops braking)

• Informative
For the first week, I drove the same route without AP and completely manually without any such incidence. But now that I know what I am looking for, I will surely try to see if I can replicate this without AP or adaptive cruise.

I had that hard braking thing happen at a freeway interchange spot.... now I just switch off AP prior to that transition, then turn it back on and it's helped me. The system is awesome though! I love how it starts braking from traffic ahead of the car in front of you... that is the coolest thing ever.

• Informative