Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

.auto pilot with distracted drivers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m a new member. I experiences on two occasions while driving on the interstate. The drivers next to me were distracted probably by text messages. They slowly drift into my lane. While on auto pilot the computer didn’t seem to react. I eventually bailed out before anything happened. I’d love to trust the auto pilot but I’m just not sure what would happen if I didn’t respond. Does anyone know what the algorithms are for cars drifting into your lane while on auto pilot.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 person
I’m a new member. I experiences on two occasions while driving on the interstate. The drivers next to me were distracted probably by text messages. They slowly drift into my lane. While on auto pilot the computer didn’t seem to react. I eventually bailed out before anything happened. I’d love to trust the auto pilot but I’m just not sure what would happen if I didn’t respond. Does anyone know what the algorithms are for cars drifting into your lane while on auto pilot.

Multiple people have reported that autopilot has "saved" them from a car swerving into their lane. It probably works pretty well, but also probably waits longer than you would to react. I just take over in that situation and reset autopilot after the idiot is out of range. I don't see much benefit in waiting to AP to jerk me around more violently than necessary.

First let me add that I agree that the driver should take over before the AP does. If for some reason you are not aware of the other car creeping over and the AP reacts, if will only decelerate. And rather abruptly at that. Be aware of the cars behind you because when the Tesla decides to slow down it does so with conviction. Often taking the human driver behind you by surprise.

First let me add that I agree that the driver should take over before the AP does. If for some reason you are not aware of the other car creeping over and the AP reacts, if will only decelerate. And rather abruptly at that. Be aware of the cars behind you because when the Tesla decides to slow down it does so with conviction. Often taking the human driver behind you by surprise.

AP will move over, not just decelerate. Video of car on my left creeping over when I was on AP. The first move was AP, the second shift was me taking over after confirming lane to my right was clear.

This is a common occurrence. Simplest answer? Humans tend to chicken out before the computer does.

The computer can exactly measure and look at the options in milliseconds. Humans tend to only "think" the car is getting too near. A car can also react in milliseconds, whereas human reaction times are as bad as seconds.

The Tesla will indeed not be able to detect and avoid all situations, but then again, neither do humans.

To a many humans, another car being with 5 feet it considered too close (don't believe me, go measure it) To a computer, 6 inches is sometimes infinity.

Thanks everyone for your input. I must admit as I am new to auto pilot it makes me a little nervous. That’s probably a good thing though. Another question that came up! What happens if there is debris on the road in front of you. A few years ago a tire came off a semi and was on the road directly in front of me! I assume that this will be hard to avoid. I unfortunately just braked and hit it with some residual damage. Anyone has experience with this?

A little off topic, but I’ve always wondered why the Model 3’s “AEB” Automatic Emergency Braking” doesn’t stop the car to completely to avoid a collision.
I’ve seen videos where some internal combustion engine cars will completely stop the car to avoid a collision.

I wonder if there is a reason the car won’t fully stop. ?

Thanks TT97, I guess, like subsequent posters, I more cautious than my Tesla. I shall man up in the future and trust the technology.

If I had seen him coming over before the Tesla I would have moved out of the way. He was to my left and initially had passed me - he then slowed down and proceeded to drift into my lane (the video started as he had already slowed down). My guess is he was distracted by some "portable technology" which explains both the slowing down and the drifting.