Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto-present door handles stopped working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ucmndd

Mar 10, 2016
California
Searched around a bit but couldn't find any other reports of this...

My Dec '16 MS all of a sudden stopped auto-presenting the door handles when I approach with the keyfob. The option is most definitely enabled in the settings (I've toggled it a few times), as well as rebooting both the IC and MCU multiple times, to no avail.

Double pressing the keyfob button to unlock the doors works as expected, all handles present and the mirrors fold out as expected.

Anyone ever had this happen before? Any other fixes to try?

I have a 2018 MS 100D. I routinely experience the issue where if my car has been sitting overnight, for example, auto-present will not function when I first return to the car.

If I am out with the car, leaving and returning to the vehicle, auto-present then always works without fail. I am on fw 2018.21.9 but this has been happening for the last few iterations since I got the car 3 months ago.

As you said, double-clicking the fob always works (as well as, I found, pressing in on the handle itself.) Perhaps this is a "feature" where if your car is sitting unused for a certain period of time, auto-present will not function until you unlock the car in one of the other ways mentioned.

My Dec '16 MS all of a sudden stopped auto-presenting the door handles when I approach with the keyfob. The option is most definitely enabled in the settings (I've toggled it a few times), as well as rebooting both the IC and MCU multiple times, to no avail.

Double pressing the keyfob button to unlock the doors works as expected, all handles present and the mirrors fold out as expected.

fob battery?

try the other fob, maybe you mixed them up... auto-present is a user profileable setting

When parked at home, try leaving your fobs far away from the car ("as the crow flies" direct line through your walls and ceilings) so they car and fob aren't pinging each other all day long... extends fob battery life

If any fob is kept too close to the car for too long, the car goes into a "ignore fob walk up" attitude... does this to preserve itself and insanity of doing repetitive auto-presents for "ghost" walk-ups or walk-by's.. Test by getting ALL fobs 30 feet away from the car then do a walk-up again.

If you have more than one driver profile for different fobs, ensure ALL profiles are set to the same thing, for allowing walkup auto-present. Some settings of last driver profile "stick" a little after that driver leaves the car sitting there and you walk up with a different fob. Mirrors stick folded on my car as a remnant of previous driver profile. AND get this... mirrors with auto-fold when parking for me ONCE after I've driven the car... but repetitive drives cycles of me driving thereafter the mirrors will not auto-fold. (I have the auto-fold setting OFF, my wife has it ON... I've lost that battle). Just know there are bugs and inconsistencies of profile settings and how they interact when you change over drivers.

Last edited:
  • Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: Lu Ann and croman
Car is sleeping when you approach after sometime depending on the level of sleep you have also selected and your resting place( Home for 14 hours or work for 8 hours it has gotten used to). Stand there for a bit longer and hear your car wake up and then try it again, walkaway and comeback, they will and should present. Your car is resting to save battery at some preset you have selected. Even with that I have never analyzed if it changes with other deeper or less deeper settings of rest.

Mystery solved, for those of you following along at home.

Was looking at Teslafi today and happened to notice that the car’s doors were unlocked despite me and my fob being a quarter mile away. Hmm, that’s strange.

Turns out wife’s key fell out of her purse and under the drivers seat. So the car’s been unlocked for like a week now.

Ah well. Lesson learned.

Mystery solved, for those of you following along at home.

Was looking at Teslafi today and happened to notice that the car’s doors were unlocked despite me and my fob being a quarter mile away. Hmm, that’s strange.

Turns out wife’s key fell out of her purse and under the drivers seat. So the car’s been unlocked for like a week now.

Ah well. Lesson learned.

You are so lucky, wow. Thats incredible. Ive done it, but the handles don't stay out. Someone could had a real nice new car.

I figured it out! The door wiring harness wires start snapping apart at the hinge. This happens from opening and clossing the door so many times over the life of the MS. I started having other features fail as well. The door was no longer showing open or closed. So I started unplugging and a pulling on wires and I got a reaction from the car. You will need to pull out the conduit enough to expose the wires. Start pulling them individually. Eventually the broken wire(s) will come out. Two repair options , repair the harness or replace the harness. I repaired it, I found 5 broken wires. Everything works now. I will upload a YouTube video some time this week. I will also add pictures to this post later today.

Reactions: MikloVL
I figured it out! The door wiring harness wires start snapping apart at the hinge. This happens from opening and clossing the door so many times over the life of the MS. I started having other features fail as well. The door was no longer showing open or closed. So I started unplugging and a pulling on wires and I got a reaction from the car. You will need to pull out the conduit enough to expose the wires. Start pulling them individually. Eventually the broken wire(s) will come out. Two repair options , repair the harness or replace the harness. I repaired it, I found 5 broken wires. Everything works now. I will upload a YouTube video some time this week. I will also add pictures to this post later today.

Attachments

• 20240303_071550.jpg
    20240303_071550.jpg
    310.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 20240303_071612.jpg
    20240303_071612.jpg
    386.7 KB · Views: 15