Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Socks or Chains?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Need to pick up some sort of snow equipment. Trying to decide between AutoSocks (another
brand calles theirs SnowSocks) and Snow Tires. I'm guessing the snow tires would be a lot
noisier when not on snow - correct? I don't really want to get a whole set of wheels and
tires and swap them out. The tires on the vehicle are Continentals. Thanks for your help.
- Jim in the PNW

The only issue with auto socks is; I don't see them holding up long term. I'd use them for emergencies situations only. If you'll use them frequently in the winter get something more durable. If chains then check out Konig K-Summit - easy on and off and won't damage wheels.

Autosocks are meant for occasional emergency use. They are not designed for repeated use. For just snow - snow tyres may work, but if you have slopes /gradient to deal with, then snow chains may be required. Suggest check with the State Dept. of Transportation on the prevailing requirements during winter driving in snow.

Need to pick up some sort of snow equipment. Trying to decide between AutoSocks (another
brand calles theirs SnowSocks) and Snow Tires. I'm guessing the snow tires would be a lot
noisier when not on snow - correct? I don't really want to get a whole set of wheels and
tires and swap them out. The tires on the vehicle are Continentals. Thanks for your help.
- Jim in the PNW
what are you trying to accomplish? how often do you drive in the snow?

NGNG,
We don't "choose" to drive in snow/ice conditions (retired so we can always reschedule). And
we don't go to ski areas or other mountain terrain. Mostly need to cover situations such as a
trip from PNW to California where we get "caught" by snow in the Siskiyous. The car that the
MX-100D replaced had chains in the trunk but never wore them (but we lived in San Jose then).

I'm thinking the AutoSocks are the best solution (easy to store, easier to put on). The thing
I don't have is -any- experience with this new type of 'chains' ... but I also know there are
clearance concerns for the MX for regular chains.

We do live on a hill that is seriously steep (15 degrees for about 1/2 mile) ... but again we can
just "not go out today" and the hill is plowed almost as soon as the snow falls and is at sea level.
So, for example, if it snows today (we've seen hail this AM) I would not expect to need to put on
chains simple due to being able to wait it out.
- Jim in the PNW

Should have said "don't go to ski areas or mountains" ... in the Winter. *G*.

I suspect that any "all weather tires" (the serious kind) are noisier when driving on roads
that do not have snow on them. Any one have any words about that? We already wish
that our Continentals were quieter!
- Jim in the PNW

I live in the PNW, I also treat most snow driving as elective, and only prepare for brief episodes. I just buy tires with the picture of the Mountain and the Snowflake. These are considered 'traction tires' and are usually exempt from chain restrictions. Also note Tesla's are "all wheel drive". See Oregon Chain Law | TripCheck - Oregon Traveler Information

An example would be Nokian WR G4. I have driven these year round in Seattle, including snow excursions: They are not louder. They work fine in rain and dry conditions as well. They don't hurt your 'mileage'.

They are slightly more capable than 'all season', they claim to be 'all weather'. They are not the only tire in this category, I'm not married to Nokian, others might work too. But the idea is, a year-round tire can handle some snow without chains, especially the slushy kind we get in the mountain passes around here.

Sometimes I deliberately take the Tesla out after snows just to gain experience. Pretty soon you learn what you can and can't do. You may be surprised at how well the car performs in snow.

I have never owned chains.

If they are allowing any traffic at all on I-5, I'm sure you can drive over the Siskiyous in any foreseeable conditions (they simply don't get 12 foot overnight blizzards) with 'three peak mountain snowflake' tires.

Attachments

• 764CFE0A-1E20-4B30-92D5-10E2ACCB4CE4.png
    764CFE0A-1E20-4B30-92D5-10E2ACCB4CE4.png
    8.2 KB · Views: 364
NGNG,
We don't "choose" to drive in snow/ice conditions (retired so we can always reschedule). And
we don't go to ski areas or other mountain terrain. Mostly need to cover situations such as a
trip from PNW to California where we get "caught" by snow in the Siskiyous. The car that the
MX-100D replaced had chains in the trunk but never wore them (but we lived in San Jose then).

I'm thinking the AutoSocks are the best solution (easy to store, easier to put on). The thing
I don't have is -any- experience with this new type of 'chains' ... but I also know there are
clearance concerns for the MX for regular chains.

We do live on a hill that is seriously steep (15 degrees for about 1/2 mile) ... but again we can
just "not go out today" and the hill is plowed almost as soon as the snow falls and is at sea level.
So, for example, if it snows today (we've seen hail this AM) I would not expect to need to put on
chains simple due to being able to wait it out.
- Jim in the PNW

I used to live in the Highlands, the random Nov snow would always catch people off guard. When I lived in WA, I always had a spare set of winter wheels and tires. In addition to being great for snow, winter tires have a different compound which perform better during cold weather.

Also - do need only one pair or should I get something for all 4 wheels. If only one pair
get them for the front or back? I'm guessing front but good to check ...

- Jim in PNW
Its different for each vehicle. I'd read the owners manual. It tells you exactly what to do. Don't take some internet experts word on it. :) All I can tell you is I got the Konig Summit chains after extensive research. Quality is good and customer service was excellent. I ordered them off Amazon and adjusted myself rather than pay the Tesla premium for pre adjusted.

Last edited:
Hmmm ... no one seems to be answering the question about "front or rear". Whether or
not you are using chains or AutoSocks or SnowSocks ... if you have a model X and you
are only using one set of chains are you putting them on the front or the rear?
- Jim

Hmmm ... no one seems to be answering the question about "front or rear". Whether or
not you are using chains or AutoSocks or SnowSocks ... if you have a model X and you
are only using one set of chains are you putting them on the front or the rear?
- Jim

If using chains, only put on rear wheels since there is little clearance on the front tires.

If using autosocks, their website recommends on all wheels. See second to last FAQ. https://autosock.us/faq/

I have a set of the autosocks, but primarily to show the CHP in case they ask. If it gets bad enough to need them, I'll probably stay home. 😂

Reactions: Harvey Danger
OK - thanks. I've decided to go with AutoSocks but still making up my mind on
whether to do the front, rear, or both. The package is pretty small, and light
compared to chains ... just one more reason to use them. - Jim in PNW
BTW - I live off of Hwy 20, they closed it for the Winter just yesterday. A few
days earlier than planned (Nov. 15th) due to recent snowfall.

OK - thanks. I've decided to go with AutoSocks but still making up my mind on
whether to do the front, rear, or both. The package is pretty small, and light
compared to chains ... just one more reason to use them. - Jim in PNW
BTW - I live off of Hwy 20, they closed it for the Winter just yesterday. A few
days earlier than planned (Nov. 15th) due to recent snowfall.
Good choice👍

Another recent contribution on this topic from a different thread:
A number of owners have reported suspension damage on the control arms when the chains are not cinched down tightly.
The clearance between the tire and suspension is limited and Tesla only recommends their mini-chains that are not effective.