Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Noob snow driver here - when do I need chains in snow?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Planning a PNW trip in early April and want to stop by Mt Rainier / Crater Lake possibly which I understood is still winter season with chains required (or at least in car). What I'd like to understand is:
1) Can stock 19" AS tires on MYLR allow me to drive to these areas (ASSUMING I'm not driving in a snow storm and it's the morning after and there's still snow around)?
2) When do I need to PUT ON the chains/auto socks?

I basically never go to snowy conditions so don't really want to buy dedicated winter tires just for a ... once a year trip.

1) The OE Continental Procontact RX tires that come with the 19" Gemini wheels do not perform well in snow. You would be better off waiting until the road was cleared before attempting to drive in the mountains with the OE tires and snow conditions.

2) Generally in areas that require chains you are required to carry tires chains or tire cables, etc. in case you get stuck. In some cases they may close the road to all but 4 wheel drive vehicles with chains.

3) Snow socks are much easier to put on the tires than chains. Snow Socks can get your vehicle moving in snow conditions. Snow socks have become more durable but you still can't leave the Snow Socks in place and drive for any significant distance or at speeds over 25 MPH.

In California when conditions reach R2 in the mountains (There is a good deal of snow on the highway) the following rules apply -

Requirement 2 (R2): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles except four-wheel/all-wheel drive vehicles with snow-tread tires on all four wheels.

You have the AWD covered, but not the right tires for those conditions. "Snow-tread" in this case is defined as tires rated MS, M/S, M+S. (Mud and Snow) These are stamped on the sidewall. All seasons are not rated M/S.

When do I need to PUT ON the chains/auto socks?

Electronic signs in the Sierras main highways make it really clear what the requirements are ahead of you, (CHAINS REQUIRED AT TWIN BRIDGES)
I imagine Oregon is the same. Smaller roads around mountains will just be closed down entirely.

You're looking at April, I wouldn't worry about it. If a big storm shows up out of the blue turn around and try later.

I did a road trip in December to Portland from CA and it was 70 degrees at Lake Shasta and 40 in Ashland. I stayed a week in Portland with the plan
of going back down 5. Ooops. A major storm was predicted so I ended up driving down the coast. I left Crescent City and within 10 miles an electronic sign said "WINTER CONDITIONS. CARRY CHAINS". Ooooh crap.

I hit some light snow at 1000ft elev in California and it was a bit stressful! (Summer high performance tires don't like snow!)

1676769282494.png

In California when conditions reach R2 in the mountains (There is a good deal of snow on the highway) the following rules apply -

Requirement 2 (R2): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles except four-wheel/all-wheel drive vehicles with snow-tread tires on all four wheels.

You have the AWD covered, but not the right tires for those conditions. "Snow-tread" in this case is defined as tires rated MS, M/S, M+S. (Mud and Snow) These are stamped on the sidewall. All seasons are not rated M/S.

Electronic signs in the Sierras main highways make it really clear what the requirements are ahead of you, (CHAINS REQUIRED AT TWIN BRIDGES)
I imagine Oregon is the same. Smaller roads around mountains will just be closed down entirely.

You're looking at April, I wouldn't worry about it. If a big storm shows up out of the blue turn around and try later.

I did a road trip in December to Portland from CA and it was 70 degrees at Lake Shasta and 40 in Ashland. I stayed a week in Portland with the plan
of going back down 5. Ooops. A major storm was predicted so I ended up driving down the coast. I left Crescent City and within 10 miles an electronic sign said "WINTER CONDITIONS. CARRY CHAINS". Ooooh crap.

I hit some light snow at 1000ft elev in California and it was a bit stressful! (Summer high performance tires don't like snow!)

View attachment 908817
Got it- thanks!
What about A/S rated M+S like these - Shop CrossClimate 2 Tires - Unmatched Performance | Michelin ? They are what I'm eyeing for next set of tires whenever the OE pair wears down.

Last I checked, in Oregon you need AWD and a tire with the snow flake on it -- generally called all weather. Normal All Season and All Season M&S do not have the snow flake. https://www.tirerack.com/upgrade-garage/what-is-the-threepeak-mountain-snowflake-symbol

That said, the CrossClimate 2 does have the snow flake so it would be good. I have driven across the Oregon Cascade range from near Portland to Sunriver numerous times and AWD + snow flake tires were fine. If it gets too bad for that, then you really don't want to be there anyway because lots of idiots will be blocking the road.

I do not recommend chains for inexperienced people. Improperly installed they will trash your car. And you can't drive on pavement that has no snow with them -- well, you can at a speed too slow for the traffic and if you get faster you destroy them. I have carried snow socks but never actually used them and they would be a better choice even if you destroyed them in one use.

Last edited:
Last I checked, in Oregon you need AWD and a tire with the snow flake on it -- generally called all weather. Normal All Season and All Season M&S do not have the snow flake. https://www.tirerack.com/upgrade-garage/what-is-the-threepeak-mountain-snowflake-symbol

That said, the CrossClimate 2 does have the snow flake so it would be good. I have driven across the Oregon Cascade range from near Portland to Sunriver numerous times and AWD + snow flake tires were fine. If it gets too bad for that, then you really don't want to be there anyway because lots of idiots will be blocking the road.

I do not recommend chains for inexperienced people. Improperly installed they will trash your car. And you can't drive on pavement that has no snow with them -- well, you can at a speed too slow for the traffic and if you get faster you destroy them. I have carried snow socks but never actually used them and they would be a better choice even if you destroyed them in one use.
got it, ty. What if I have the normal continental (no snow flake) but weather isn't terrible (not snow storm and not much snow on ground but maybe some) - could I get by with normal AS and no chains? (Asssuming there's no warning that chains are required)

got it, ty. What if I have the normal continental (no snow flake) but weather isn't terrible (not snow storm and not much snow on ground but maybe some) - could I get by with normal AS and no chains? (Asssuming there's no warning that chains are required)

In April, you should get snow only near the tops of the passes, so you will probably be ok. And even then it will only last for a few hours.

The "traction devices required beyond here" signs are up either all season or all year in Oregon. It is up to you decide if that is required. I would carry snow socks / autosocks to make sure you are legal, but getting stopped is unlikely unless you get stuck in the snow. They don't use much room and are light.

If you have actually never, ever driven in low traction conditions, you can expect to do the exact opposite of the correct thing -- turn the wrong way, brake too much, turn too much, etc. Most everybody does it wrong the first few times. Studying is not a substitute. You have to practice. But, I don't recall ever having an empty parking lot covered in snow available when I lived in Cupertino..... :) There are Rally Cross classes, however.

Also, use the Tesla recommended settings: Model Y Owner's Manual | Tesla
I've never used them myself -- most of my recent snow driving is Volvo and Subaru -- but do what the manual says IMO.

In April, you should get snow only near the tops of the passes, so you will probably be ok. And even then it will only last for a few hours.

The "traction devices required beyond here" signs are up either all season or all year in Oregon. It is up to you decide if that is required. I would carry snow socks / autosocks to make sure you are legal, but getting stopped is unlikely unless you get stuck in the snow. They don't use much room and are light.

If you have actually never, ever driven in low traction conditions, you can expect to do the exact opposite of the correct thing -- turn the wrong way, brake too much, turn too much, etc. Most everybody does it wrong the first few times. Studying is not a substitute. You have to practice. But, I don't recall ever having an empty parking lot covered in snow available when I lived in Cupertino..... :) There are Rally Cross classes, however.

I've never used them myself -- most of my recent snow driving is Volvo and Subaru -- but do what the manual says IMO.
haha yea actualy re: practicing. Closest place would be like Tahoe.

hmm just measured and it seems my tread depth is ~4/32 is that good enough to survive a brief trip to hopefully not-too-snowy rainier?

Planning a PNW trip in early April and want to stop by Mt Rainier / Crater Lake possibly which I understood is still winter season with chains required (or at least in car). What I'd like to understand is:
1) Can stock 19" AS tires on MYLR allow me to drive to these areas (ASSUMING I'm not driving in a snow storm and it's the morning after and there's still snow around)?
2) When do I need to PUT ON the chains/auto socks?

I basically never go to snowy conditions so don't really want to buy dedicated winter tires just for a ... once a year trip.
Highlly recommand: Tesla Model Y snow chains

Based on the information provided, your stock 19 all-season tires should be sufficient for driving to Mount Rainier and Crater Lake in early April, assuming you are not driving during a snowstorm and the roads have been plowed. However, it is always a good idea to check the local weather and road conditions before your trip.

Regarding the use of chains or auto socks, it is recommended to have them on hand in case they are required by law or for your safety. The specific requirements for using chains or auto socks depend on the road and weather conditions at the time of your visit. It is best to consult with local authorities or check the Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) and Oregon Department of Transportation (ODOT) websites for the most up-to-date information on chain requirements.

While you may not need dedicated winter tires for a once-a-year trip, having a set of chains or auto socks can provide added security and peace of mind in snowy conditions. TESERY is a reputable brand that offers Tesla Model Y snow chains and is worth considering for your trip.

You need them 1) when you can't consistently and reliably control the vehicle as you're driving in snow/ice; 2) when required by law.

Put them on before you slide off the road ;-) On major roads where there are required chain stops they are usually in the right places. More of a judgment call off of major highways. Falling off the road in a mountain wilderness area is no fun, I'd say if you think you might need the chains you need the chains. All season tires with chains give vastly better traction and control than even the best snow tires; that's certainly what I'd use for occasional use.