Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

auto steer wildly broken after 2020.32.3 update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a big fan of TACC and specifically autosteer and have found it to be extremely accurate. This morning completed an update to 2020.32.3, got in and flipped on TACC and car completely failed to make a curve in the road crossing a double orange line way into opposite lane and did not appear like it was going to correct at all - and there was no "take over and steer" warning. Had *never* experienced anything like this before. Once my heart rate came down under 100, I tried TACC again a short while later and had another similar, massive failure the likes of which I've never seen. Weather was perfect. Haven't tried yet again, but certainly feels like the 32.3 update caused a *major* issue with TACC. Anyone else experiencing this? I'm in a 2018 M3 with upgraded hardware to full self drive.

Yeah I'm confused too, do you mean autopilot instead of TACC? Also how reproducible is this issue? Does it happen with every turn? Or every time at a specific turn? I haven't notice anything terrible with 2020.32 yet, thank god they got rid of the awful dramatic slow down at the slightest corner.

As per post above, yes, autopilot not TACC. Sorry, was on my way to get a coffee which I really needed when posted! Anyway, tested again, but before did a scroll wheel / navscreen reboot just for grins. Same results. These are the exact same mountain roads I was on a year ago where AP / autosteer performed flawlessly. For the 3rd time, the car literally crossed 2 yellow lines going around a curve and was multiple feet into the opposite lane. There were other instances of less dramatic failure where it simply moved onto both the center line, or the right side line -- again, a rare occurrence normally but was happening regularly, before the really catastrophic failure of crossing the center line well into the opposite lane, at which point I abandoned the test for obvious reasons. Very bummed to say the least. Nice that my windows now roll up when the car locks, but trashing AP not an acceptable trade-off!:(

Are you getting visual confirmation that you're actually in autosteer? Like the blue steering wheel on the screen? It sounds like it's just not engaging for some reason. Have you contacted tesla service? Made an appointment to get it serviced? That should be your first order of priority.

Have you made a service appointment in the app yet? That should be your first step, before posting here about it even. At the very worst they will just resend the update, which may fix things, especially if it was working before. Another thing to try is a complete power down reset - in the safety and security menu tab, power down the car while sitting in the drivers seat, door closed, without touching anything to wake up the car, for 3-5 minutes until all the little sounds have stopped. Sometimes that will correct issues the steering wheel button reset won't.

Thanks Duck ... I post here and see others trying to avoid a service appointment if necessary. Not even sure service techs are always better, but I hear ya. Was also really interested in whether any others had experience the issue, ie, it's in the update or my particular vehicle. Getting the update sent again makes sense. I'll try the complete power down as well since its easy - haven't seen that will look for that option.

I have that release, and have not seen that behavior on my car.

Does the car visualization show the car being off, or does it show the car centered when it is not? I would suspect a sensor problem if the latter case is true.

those are great questions and points thanks. the fail with cross of center line was a better example than the one i posted here. but went out with my wife/camerwoman and it veered to the right this time so that's what's shown in the video posted here. You can see the car is outside the lines in the visualization.

those are great questions and points thanks. the fail with cross of center line was a better example than the one i posted here. but went out with my wife/camerwoman and it veered to the right this time so that's what's shown in the video posted here. You can see the car is outside the lines in the visualization.

Why are you filming it? Why not show us the car's built in cameras? The right hand rear view camera would show if the car was going off the road, which it doesn't look like it's doing in the video.

So the visualizations are off a bit. So what? You car seems to be driving fine. Yes, curves are scary until you realize the car handles them just fine.

You can't force it, but if you make a service appointment in the app, quite often the easy remedy for them is to resend it. Presumably you've made such an appointment already, so if they think that's a possible remedy they'll resend it when they get around to reviewing your case.

Also, have you tried AP on a highway yet? The road you show isn't really the kind of road autopilot is currently working on reliably, although admittedly it should be working better than it is for you.